MoTool Slacker

sixpack577

Top Gun
Donating Member
Registered
MoTool is having a 30% off sale, and the V4 Slacker that is $174.99 is on sale for $122.99 now.
But, I got it for $99 a few minutes ago!
I couldn't resist the price, I've been watching them for a long time now.
I bought the remote display, so I didn't have to use my phone.
As well as a universal mount for other bikes, and mtn bikes.
$145 total with free shipping.
I'm excited to try it on the Gsxr, the old school measuring tape vs modern tech.
I will take pictures and give details once I try it out.
I have heard nothing but good things about them, and Dave Moss has been endorsing them for years now...so good enough.

Screenshot_20221213-150027_Chrome.jpg

MoTool is having a 30% off sale, and the V4 Slacker that is $174.99 is on sale for $122.99 now.
But, I got it for $99 a few minutes ago!
I couldn't resist the price, I've been watching them for a long time now.
I bought the remote display, so I didn't have to use my phone.
As well as a universal mount for other bikes, and mtn bikes.
$145 total with free shipping.
I'm excited to try it on the Gsxr, the old school measuring tape vs modern tech.
I will take pictures and give details once I try it out.
I have heard nothing but good things about them, and Dave Moss has been endorsing them for years now...so good enough.

View attachment 1658731
Damn I can't find that level of discount anymore. Lucky dog. I drive the Ms crazy making her measure my sag numbers for me constantly after adjustments lol.

The Motool Slacker came today.
It's also in the 30's f° with rain an freezing rain here, lol.
I'll try it out on the '18 gsxr1000R(remote resivoir forks) in the next few weeks, time and weather dependent.
Then on my 03 gsxr1000, with old school inverted forks.
I'll check the sag with a measuring tape again first, with a friend helping, then take this thing riding and see where it's at.
The '18 gsxr stays on my Bursig stand, so the bike is up/down quick to make suspension changes.
I can ride out of my driveway and be on roads with bumps, curves, and almost no traffic. Then back on to my carport, and up on the stand if need be.
I should be able to get a good feel for the Slacker, by being able to ride past and present gen 1k's back to back, and after manual measurements.
(My 03 will be stock height at that point as well).
Zipties on the fork legs are always good ballpark references as well.

I'm sure @sixpack577 will answer your questions when he sees this, he's pretty good on that.

I AM the Slacker
lmao
I'm sorry...it's still in the box.
I've done alot of fine tuning on the '18 Gsxr's suspension, and have it really good now.
I want to see how the Slacker compares...and I still will...really...soon
lol

Ok so I have a rear shock project underway and wanted to get a better handle on my current settings before I started tearing into it. So I wound up buying (15% off if you cough up you email address to them!) the Slacker V4 and just quickly slapped it on the bike today and took a few baseline sag numbers just to see where I was at. First, there are a few challenges with placement of the unit, which you can see from my pics. on the rear, the Slacker interferes slightly with the Swingarm spool. Not a game stopper, but if you were truly looking for precision you might want to take that spool off temporarily. Otherwise the unit worked just fine as pictured so it might be a moot point. Secondly, on the front your only option is to stick it on the Right end (hex side!) of the front axle. The other end is aluminum and the magnet in the slacker wont work. They do include a small strap on adapter so you could conceivably still use it on the left side if you so chose. Last issue is that it wont work with my Pitbull front stand in place (to zero it out). Again not a huge deal but there is not a lot of places to lift the front end of the Busa to zero it out, so I might try it again by installing it after I have the stem stand installed. The cell phone app is pretty slick and it shows everything in real time and allows you to save your readings as you go.

So my quick and dirty numbers I took today sort of confirmed (loosely) where I thought I was at already. Suzuki says that the stock suspension travel on the Gen 1 is 120mm front, and 140mm rear. And my measurements basically confirm that. I previously installed Racetech 1.1kg fork springs, and am in the process of upgrading the rear shock to match what Racetech says I should have which is 16.1kg, but it still has the stock 13.1kg spring in it right now. With the slacker installed (and me sans riding gear) I got !~9mm static sag in the rear, and ~11mm in the front, with Rider sag of 40mm in the rear and 35mm in the front. So about what I thought, as with these fork springs I have very little Preload currently and on the rear shock I have quite a bit (~13 threads showing above the rings) of preload to hit that number, hence the new spring! Anyway pretty happy with this tool so far. I will get further into it as I swap the shock out.

1696195517818.png

1696195560042.png

1696195600441.png

Last edited:
So the project that led up to the above is me replacing my stock shock with a fresher unit. To start with, I bought a Gen 3 shock with very low miles, then ordered up a set of Racetech Spring Adapter Collars, and an Eibach Spring @ 16.1kg. The Gen 3 shock is slightly longer than the Gen 1, which combined with my Raising links might be too much, so I have the stock links still just in case! Also the Gen 3 has a 14.5 kg spring, which is still stiffer than the stock 13.1 kg. So if the Eibach is overkill I can swap it back to the stock Gen 3 spring as an option. The Eibach spring was only $76 so a cheap upgrade regardless! The Stock spring does not use any kind of adapters for the spring so I was pleasantly surprised when I installed the Racetech adapters as it provides a much more secure interface to the shock as the adjusters now bear on it instead of the spring!

First challenge was the spring compressor, I watched a few peoples videos on Youtube (most of which were disturbing at best!) so I made my own. LSS a little serendipity here, I was all prepared to cut a plate out of 1/8 steel to match the spring, but I just happen to have a whole stack of Car Brake rotors in my shop (that I am using as Poor mans weight lifting set!) anyway turns out that one of the Rotors off my kids Mazda 6 was the perfect size for this - et Voila! The rest of it was stuff I had around the shop, except for a few nuts I had to buy. The compressor worked like a charm and no safety concern whatsoever. The shock is together and ready for me to install it, I just don't want to tear the bike apart yet, so it might be a few weeks until I install it.
1696196827003.png

1696196868723.png

1696196919371.png

1696196951498.png

Just picked up the V5 with the remote and the time this tool saves is just epic. The auto zero works great just rocking the front wheel off the ground over the side stand. If your rear static sag is light it is best to push the zero button as you rock the rear wheel in the air.
This is how I set up the rear for the Gen 3 so that it was straight and on the swing arm arc (back of the rear peg tie down)
photo_2024-03-03_10-48-45.jpg

This is how I set up the front:

photo_2024-03-03_10-48-53.jpg

photo_2024-03-03_10-48-35.jpg

Yeah 6, it shows my manual measurements weren't really that well refined.

For the V5 from John:
  • New percentage mode lets you display the measurement in millimeters, or the percentage of travel being used. Add your travel to the bike’s settings and enable the percentage mode from the app, and it will sync to Slacker.
  • Increased retractable cable length from 800mm to 920mm. We have extended the cable over 100mm to accommodate longer travel downhill bikes and motorcycles, as well as off-road trucks, snowmobiles, and SXS.
  • Increased the maximum measurement from 199mm to 920mm. This has already inspired new applications for the tool, including measuring the full travel of the suspension, as well as allowing us to mark the max stroke used when the suspension is pumped to settle it. Look for more features in the app soon as well.
  • New electronics and LCD display, as well as other general production cycle quality and aesthetic improvements.

Back