Most Comfortable Saddle

SpeedFiend

Registered
Looking to do Iron Butt in May, and I was really sore after a few 800-900 mile days last summer with a gel seat, so I'm looking for a new seat. Planning to do this on my Gen 2. The Gen 1 is more comfortable, but already has some miles on it. Anyway, in addition to Helibars and Buell pegs, what seat would you guys suggest? I'm leaning toward Corbin, but I was wondering if anyone who's done some serious saddle time might have a suggestion.

Good luck in your search. Custom sounds the way to go. I have a modified stock seat and a Corbin. Neither one meets my needs.

Good luck in your search. Custom sounds the way to go. I have a modified stock seat and a Corbin. Neither one meets my needs.

Whatever happened to DJ? How's his Russell Day Long seat holding up?

To the OP, I have a Corbin too, I like it better than stock but I wouldn't ride it even half that far. It's comfortable for short rides, but not soft enough for the long haul.
I also have a stock seat recovered by Kontour, it isn't much more comfortable. It does however allow air to pass through it, and it's as cool at the end of any ride as when you first sit on it.
It's great for hot weather, but as you'de expect, brutal in the cold.
I also used to have a gel seat. I hated it. It was hard, hot, and never broke in. I find the New Image seat comfortable for about 15 minutes too, then I'm cramped and uncomfortable.
The above mentioned Day Long seat seems to be the way to go for comfort.
DJ has one on a B-King, but I don't know if anyone has one for the Busa yet.:beerchug:

Try Rick Mayer Cycle custom motorcycle seats, They are in Redding Ca,. I loaned my bike to Corbin to make patterns for the 08 up seats. I was not happy with the seat. I took my stock seat down to a local shop and cut it down it is nice but the stock material is not good. I will be going up to Mayers shop soon to have a new seat made.I have my own oppion on how the seat is shaped that i want , And the material.I bought some real nice leather that will be real soft for long rides.

Chuck

I love my Corbin. The longest ride I've ever done with it was 1,200+ miles in like 20 hours.

I haven't done any "serious" saddle time, less than 3 hr trips, but I have a New Image custom. Not saying it's the best, but it most certainly beat the stock seat, hands down. Best investment, by far on my bike. Look through my posts, & you'll find a picture of it, with details. Good luck!

corbin all the way. so comfortable for me. and it looks sweet. the seat does take a few thousand miles to break in so be patient.

IMG_00000025.jpg

may I suggest you post your stats, it might help you pick the best candidate based on similarly built riders. I am 5'10", 180 lbs with a 30-in inseam. Currently have helibars and SUZ Gel seat on my 09 and "survived" an 1800+-mile ride in under 18 hours with no butt issues. Before that, I did the IBA SS1000 on my old 08 with a Corbin and also had zero butt issues. So I give both the Corbin and Suz gel passing marks.
P.S. There is the "x-factor:" your tolerance/threshold for pain may vary greatly from other riders.

I'm 6'1" with a 32 inseam about 200lb. I rode from Arizona to Michigan last summer, and I was alright the first day (over 900 miles). Sore butt and ready to get off by the end of the second (800 miles), and the last day was hell. I was moving all over the seat trying to find a decent spot, but couldn't sit in any way that wasn't painful. This was the Gen 2, so maybe that's the problem. I always felt a bit better after a day on the Gen 1 than the new bike.

I've done several 900 kms days on my Gen I with a Corbin seat and I find it very comfortable. I did the Corbin seat comfort mod and it fits me perfectly. I tried the Suzuki gel seat and the New Image seat and didn't like either one.

I'm 6'6" 220lbs and I love my Corbin. the longest I,ve ridden in one day doesn't match a lot of you but I do 600 mile days back to back with no problems.

I've done 8 hours on my Tobin seat, and still love it. Don't know if he's still in business or not. Try a Google or forum search.

CW

I've had all the aftermarket seats on various bikes and to me, (besides how it looks), the less you have to think about your seat....the better it must be. I've had 5 Corbins now and the one on my red Busa works as a weeklong touring seat AND a trackday seat so that's my vote.
BTW, last time I was at Corbin in NorCal, the technician explained that their ergo success is not based on "Barcalounger soft" but an open surface that distributes one's weight over more area thereby reducing the psi on any smaller area on the hiney. I thought that made a lot of sense and see no need to change! Raydog

P1010552.JPG

Back