More Rumors, Turbo For 2019

If they did I'm sure the factory would put beefy rods, correct Pistons, correct valves and springs and output shaft in the thing. That would make it very easy to tweak and squeeze a lot of horsepower out of a stock platform. One Can Dream.

how do you figure that? The Kawi H2 has forced induction as do many sleds and jet-skis and their all insured by numerous companies. and the 1984 Kawki GPZ 750 had a Turbo on it and it was insured by anyone who wanted to insure it. had a few friends with them back in the mid 80's.

the Ford Taurus has twin turbos and so do countless other cars. Turbo's are standard in todays industry being both daily drivers and toys. it won't be long b4 all the top bikes are forced inducted. you can only go so fast on Cubic Inches. at some point a power adder is needed if you want gas mileage and emissions to work with big HP.

a Turbo kit wud be kool but I'm sure it wud be cheesy and the whole kit wud likely need to be upgraded anyway if u wanted to make big power but it does lead me to wonder how strong the motor will be. wud be nice to see some forged rods and pistons and be able to make 400 hp on a stock motor. that wud be a great savings over having to build the bottom end if u were not planning on making 500+ hp.

Nope. No insurer would touch it. I'd love to see them make one though.

a Turbo kit wud be kool but I'm sure it wud be cheesy and the whole kit wud likely need to be upgraded anyway if u wanted to make big power but it does lead me to wonder how strong the motor will be. wud be nice to see some forged rods and pistons and be able to make 400 hp on a stock motor. that wud be a great savings over having to build the bottom end if u were not planning on making 500+ hp.

All true but why make 80% of the buyers pay for the built engine when only 20% will turbo for big power?

Not sure about down there but here it is illegal for an insurer to decline you insurance. But they can make it so expensive you wont go there.

cause that seems to be the trend these days and considering forced induction will be offered by numerous manufactors over the next few years and if they want to compete with others their motor will need to live making that kinda power.

Were never going back from here...... its forced induction for now on in either the form of a supercharger or Turbo look at the 2011-2014 Mustang GT vs. the 2015+ GT. 11-14 cud hold 700 hp. The 2015+ GT will support 800 hp. I wud bet 5% of the drivers will be making 800 hp but its not stopping them from making the motors live at those levels. Motorcycles are no different.

All true but why make 80% of the buyers pay for the built engine when only 20% will turbo for big power?

I'm not sure forced induction is a given. #1 there is no racing for them. These guys dump money into their top of the line bikes to race. #2 Electrical is coming. #3 You can easily get way more power than you need for a street bike out of plain old simple NA induction. why add complexity and weight? Suzuki had a supercharger on the B-King concept and dropped it. Their testing on the current concepts seem to be aimed at reducing the weight of things by going to smaller displacement and then adding a turbo to get the power back. Personally if I have to chose between a 588 cc turbo and a 1500 cc NA Busa, easy choice.

Should have 2 lbs of boost, 18 ecu limiters, 4 lbs of compression, and make 199.9 hp at the crank...and all for $38k
Who's pre-ordering?

I don't believe any street production bike will go far beyond 200-240hp being around the manageable limit with electronic assistance, for a bike that handles well including turning. Isaac Newton's laws are starting to catch up with us at these power levels. To have a whole heap more power may be nice, but put it up against a MotoGp bike at 240hp, weighing 350lbs and doing 340km/h down a short straight including braking and turning is not going to happen with a heavy 400hp stretched bike.

From their recursion concept engine, if the rumor is true, then it appears the main objective is to quote: "offer big displacement power, with middleweight bulk"

Could mean a more comfortable, but lighter weight Busa with power at the back wheel around 200hp.

Anyways, these days I ride with a bunch of old farts once a week, being the retired Harley crowd. 60mph max, and I can't ride the Busa, it is just too frustrating. So, I ride my Husky which puts out almost the same power as a Harley and weighs 290lbs. Every ride I realize how much easier it is to scoot around on a light weight machine.

Last edited:
One just needs to look at bikes like the Lightning LS 218 to realize the writing is on the wall for conventional IC powered motorcycles. Hybrid bikes are just around the corner. Picture a forced induction small displacement IC engine augmented with an electric motor for torque filling/city use. Im not ecstatic about it but its coming for sure. Bikes like the LS 218 will always be range limited, but even that will fall away as rapid charging technology catches up. The future looks...quiet?:crazy:

^^^^^
CEO of Mercedes Benz forecasts that by 2050, almost no one will own a car. He says all cars will be self driven electrical and the internet will deliver a car at your door after you use an app on your phone to say where you want to go. It will take 5 minutes to pick you up and then later drop you off with perhaps a stop or two. He also mentions that already the biggest taxi company on the globe, Uber, don't own a single vehicle.

So perhaps by then, motorcycles will be only track toys?

My answer is based on the Busa as the starting platform. A 190 hp bike that is then factory turbo charged would not have a mass market.

I cringe when I hear "wasnt it fast enough without the turbo" because to me no, it wasnt. That being said, most are fine with 190 hp and would not buy a 300 hp bike, thus no market.
The H2 is great, but only makes about 230hp? The H2r makes good power, but its super pricey.

Turbo a Busa and I can't imagine getting less that 250 hp out of it. People would die left and right. I believe the factory wont spend the time and effort in engineering a bike that wont sell in high numbers and would likely make for some bad press. That being said...I hope to God they do, lol.
I had, and built, a 750 turbo (gpz) and even built it barely beat a piped Busa.

well, keep in mind when I got my first bike back in 1986 the HP it made is far less then a 600 does now. and the GP race bikes schwantz, Gardner etc... were all racing bikes that made about 180 hp. so a stock bike making 275 will be common in the next decade. 200-240 they make now already with the kawi H2. if their making 230 hp now they will be making 330 in the next 10 years. thats a fact! especially with the introduction of Turbo's and Superchargers.

thats like saying in the mid 90's car manufactories will never make a car making over 800 hp right from the factory. well, their doing now.

I don't believe any street production bike will go far beyond 200-240hp being around the manageable limit with electronic assistance, for a bike that handles well including turning. Isaac Newton's laws are starting to catch up with us at these power levels. To have a whole heap more power may be nice, but put it up against a MotoGp bike at 240hp, weighing 350lbs and doing 340km/h down a short straight including braking and turning is not going to happen with a heavy 400hp stretched bike.

From their recursion concept engine, if the rumor is true, then it appears the main objective is to quote: "offer big displacement power, with middleweight bulk"

Could mean a more comfortable, but lighter weight Busa with power at the back wheel around 200hp.

Anyways, these days I ride with a bunch of old farts once a week, being the retired Harley crowd. 60mph max, and I can't ride the Busa, it is just too frustrating. So, I ride my Husky which puts out almost the same power as a Harley and weighs 290lbs. Every ride I realize how much easier it is to scoot around on a light weight machine.

^^^^^
CEO of Mercedes Benz forecasts that by 2050, almost no one will own a car. He says all cars will be self driven electrical and the internet will deliver a car at your door after you use an app on your phone to say where you want to go. It will take 5 minutes to pick you up and then later drop you off with perhaps a stop or two. He also mentions that already the biggest taxi company on the globe, Uber, don't own a single vehicle.

So perhaps by then, motorcycles will be only track toys?

I've heard that before, not from the CEO of Mercedes Benz but from an IT consultant that had worked for one of the big car companies, maybe GM. Anyway, I see where they are coming from but I think that only works in metropolitan areas. I was born in rural Missouri and no self-driving car is finding its way down some of the roads I drove growing up.

well, keep in mind when I got my first bike back in 1986 the HP it made is far less then a 600 does now. and the GP race bikes schwantz, Gardner etc... were all racing bikes that made about 180 hp. so a stock bike making 275 will be common in the next decade. 200-240 they make now already with the kawi H2. if their making 230 hp now they will be making 330 in the next 10 years. thats a fact! especially with the introduction of Turbo's and Superchargers.

thats like saying in the mid 90's car manufactories will never make a car making over 800 hp right from the factory. well, their doing now.
The problem lies with the fact that we cannot change gravitational force on our planet earth. In 1986 we were pretty far from reaching the limits it imposes. Today it has become a limiter. In short, more power has to either be limited electronically by reducing it, or the back wheel loses traction, or the front wheel lifts up and control is lost. Only place you can use the full extent of 250+ hp is on the drag strip or in a straight line with a bike specifically modified for that purpose.

BTW, the technology is already there. My old employer Mercedes, pushes 870hp out of a 1.6l engine reliably around the formula 1 circuit.

Last edited:
that simply isn't true. I use to ride my bike on the street being 3 inches over stock and making 330 whp. I cud whip around with it jus like any other Busa could. and it didn't matter where I rode. had a Shinko hook up on it and it hooked like velcro even at 330 hp so 250 would be a joke actually. didn't spin the tire at all! and never pulled the wheel up. if you can control the boost properly you will have none of those issues.

so to say the only place 250 hp is gonna be ridden is at the track or a straight line is non sense. first of all 250 hp is NOT a lot of hp. I got bored with 250 hp years ago. I also got bored with 330 hp as you would to if you rode a fast bike all the time.

the H2 makes 270 whp with a few simply bolt ons and remapping of the computer and ppl whip around on those all the time and even take them to the roundy round track and drive in circles for hours.

The problem lies with the fact that we cannot change gravitational force on our planet earth. In 1986 we were pretty far from reaching the limits it imposes. Today it has become a limiter. In short, more power has to either be limited electronically by reducing it, or the back wheel loses traction, or the front wheel lifts up and control is lost. Only place you can use the full extent of 250+ hp is on the drag strip or in a straight line with a bike specifically modified for that purpose.

BTW, the technology is already there. My old employer Mercedes, pushes 870hp out of a 1.6l engine reliably around the formula 1 circuit.

Back