Turbo M109r?

Getn off

Registered
https://gearheads.org/turbocharged-suzuki-cruiser/

Interesting read here. Not very long at all.
Talks about new Suzi patents for multiple turbo applications including the Busa and a V Twin! The drawings look very similar to the 9. Love my 9 just the way she is, my Busa also. But 'IF' the new Busa is coming with a hairdryer, I will be in line.
Troy

I am not expecting the moon here. I would love to see a new gen Busa that can hold its own against the H2. I am guessng that is what they would be aiming at with the turbo. I know you can add an aftermarket kit for way more power. I want reliable power. I have built many cars and once you hit a certain point, reliablity does suffer.
I would have bought the Duc 1299 to add to my stable already, but I really want to see what Zuk has in store.
Price. I am sure it will match the H2 and Duc.
Still anxious to see. As far as the cruiser. My nine is a handfull to hang onto at wot with the seating position. Can't even imagine more power there. I have nearly gone off the rear a few times!
Troy

You CAN have reliable aftermarket turbo power...and still have wayyyy more than either H2

Lets look at this for a moment . Very few can ride to the potential of even a current 600 cc super bike.
Everything else is overkill , bragging rights , and just because its America were you can .
I won't be in line as my current gen 2 set up for comfort / touring with just a mere 181 hp is enough to get the job done . I made it through the stage of have to be FAST .

Good points for sure c10. Not letting go of my Gen 2, or any others. Yes, most def bragging rights.
No sane reason to own anything more than a 100cc bike, or used Hyundai.
Troy

Reactions: c10
Turbocharging a V-twin is a mistake, especially the M109R, IMHO. The 109 is well known for cooking clutches at 110 hp, pipe and tune, basically is all it takes and a
customer who thinks it is a sportbike. In the last two months I did four 109 clutches, and they are not cheap. I would like to see Slowsuki step up with something, and it wouldn't take much to smoke an H2. H2s don't make any torque, neither do S1000rrs. A Gen 1 with a Stage 1 would do the trick and would be way cheaper and better built than any production blown bike . . .

Remember all he "Hype" surrounding the H2...???

Not shortly after the release that turd fell flat on its face!!!!! :laugh:

Just go on cycle trader and see how many dealerships have them marked down and they still can't get rid of em!!!

Overpriced....Overweight......Underwhelming!!!

Frank, you are spot on! 9s are having big clutch probs with just bolt ons. Hell, we can't keep the tranny alive either. I short shift 1-2 and have no issues, but many friends have lunched their trannys. Wonder if they might have a patent for a better trans along with the v twin?!
I am all on board with a current model and adding a turbo. I am just looking forward to Suzi making another show stopper. Mine is set. Looking forward to adding a big brother to the stable. If it doesn't happen, I may find myself down the turbo lane. Who knows.
Troy

Frank, you are spot on! 9s are having big clutch probs with just bolt ons. Hell, we can't keep the tranny alive either. I short shift 1-2 and have no issues, but many friends have lunched their trannys. Wonder if they might have a patent for a better trans along with the v twin?!
I am all on board with a current model and adding a turbo. I am just looking forward to Suzi making another show stopper. Mine is set. Looking forward to adding a big brother to the stable. If it doesn't happen, I may find myself down the turbo lane. Who knows.
Troy
I'm with him ^^^! I have always loved the look of the 109s and do a lot of reading about them and it doesn't seem like the trans could handle the extra power. The biggest complaint I've found is clutch and 3rd gear problems. I even found a used one at a dealership dirt cheap, but upon reading the add, it turns out that third gear was already fried on it and needed repairs. I considered buying it as a project, until I read about all that is involved in fixing the thing and how much mechanics charge to do the job. I'll just keep looking at them from a distance. LOL!

In spite of the issues, the M109R is still a popular ride with lots of nice chrome bolt ons, wide wheel conversions, etc. It makes decent hp and torque for a bike as heavy as it is. Used as a cruiser it is a great bike and looks way better than something like a Kawasaki Gonad . . .imo . . .

I have never had any issues with my 9. I rode it like a sport bike too. Well over 20k miles and nothing but clutch cable. I dont get the supposed 3 gear issues. The 1 to 2 issue is just a little clunk no big deal.

Forced induction either Turbo or Supercharger will be as common as ABS on new bikes soon. u can't jus keep adding CI's. at some point efficient power delivery will have to come form some sort of forced induction jus like ALL the car manufactures are doing now. ur not gonna see Ford or Chevy put a 600 CI motor in a factory car but you will surely see blower and Turbo's from here on out.....

I have never had any issues with my 9. I rode it like a sport bike too. Well over 20k miles and nothing but clutch cable. I dont get the supposed 3 gear issues. The 1 to 2 issue is just a little clunk no big deal.

There are a lot of 109s out there without issues, I still think they are great bikes. It comes down to this: there are people that can screw up a wet dream, riders that just don't respect their rides or treat them right. Like the guy that took his 109 with a 240 and and a fresh clutch and did a major smoke show right in front of me. He thought that would be a good way to "break" it in. When you do repairs and service, you only think you've seen everything . . .

Frank, just out of curiousiity have you ever turboed a 9? If not would you ever attempt?

Have not, probably would not recommend, and definitely would not want to turn one on the dyno and clean up the mess after . . .

Back