More motor or turbo?

Klutch556

Registered
What you guys think? Build the motor for them all natural gains or turbo it? Does this question belong here? I feel like if I post in the turbo section, I'm gonna just hear "of course, turbo you moron, the bike was made for it!" and if I post it in all motor I will get "a built motor will give you power and reliability you dummy" or something along those lines. So I figured here would be a good neutral meeting ground where we could get unbiased discussion for both?
I'm really just curious what y'all's opinions are. Cost, weight, hp gains, torque gains, reliability, how hard is it on the bike?

What you guys think? Build the motor for them all natural gains or turbo it? Does this question belong here? I feel like if I post in the turbo section, I'm gonna just hear "of course, turbo you moron, the bike was made for it!" and if I post it in all motor I will get "a built motor will give you power and reliability you dummy" or something along those lines. So I figured here would be a good neutral meeting ground where we could get unbiased discussion for both?
I'm really just curious what y'all's opinions are. Cost, weight, hp gains, torque gains, reliability, how hard is it on the bike?
Hi. I was a big motor guy, but now turbo all the way. If you want to make big power it is very big $$$$$$$$$$. If you want to go fast it is even more big $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Ask me I know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have a thread my very slow build.

I personally like the idea of built motor only because I've never ridden a turbo busa. I know i never liked the turbo lag in cars but I'm told the busa acts like a stock bike until the boost comes in so it might be better then what I've dealt with in cars. Like otta said a supercharger could be cool but it really comes down to what u want. I had the privilege of seeing @s3ns4i turbo beast and he has that bike done exactly as i would if i went turbo and had the money he put into that beauty.

Ya know it would seem kinda like common sense, but it never occurred to me that the bigger bore would make it more unpleasant on the street.

Never had a big bore but from reading here -
Run hot due to the increased engine size
still have to pull the motor apart replace with pistons, rods etc
Sometimes a starting issue due to the displacement.

I just dont see a benefit.
Still have to tear the motor down
Motor only is like 230hp - dont get me wrong really cool but for the cost, hell no.
drives like its been modified (good or bad depending on your school of thought)

Had a turbo busa for a bit now. Street rides like a stock bike.
Hit it and an all motor bile has no chance.

You never really said what the purpose of the build was. As the rest said turbo if your going to daily, unless your drag racing that stage 1 rcc should be all you need and its turn key. Tremendous power and reliability with little to no motor work with a price tag to match. That's what I want but I like that racing and more opportunity for me with stupid nitrous.

0815211634_HDR.jpg

Never had a big bore but from reading here -
Run hot due to the increased engine size
still have to pull the motor apart replace with pistons, rods etc
Sometimes a starting issue due to the displacement.

I just dont see a benefit.
Still have to tear the motor down
Motor only is like 230hp - dont get me wrong really cool but for the cost, hell no.
drives like its been modified (good or bad depending on your school of thought)

Had a turbo busa for a bit now. Street rides like a stock bike.
Hit it and an all motor bile has no chance.
I have read about the issues on alot of the big motor builds but of course there is always exceptions like Tango that @GMbusa built and @Red05 now owns

Last edited:
I have read about the issues on alot of the big motor builds but of course there is always exceptions like Tango that @GMbusa built and @Red05 now owns
Hi. If it is for racing you have to go by the rules of the class you want to run in. You also have to take advantage of the rules. as I will run in the LSR class of 1000cc to 1350cc. I have a gen 1 busa but I do not want to give up 51cc to a gen2. So what to do? If I go with a gen 2 crank I have to run 18mm piston pins I do not want to run the weaker pins. So I have JE Pistons make me custom pistons with 20mm pins and have Carrillo my me custom rods so I have 1340cc,s now. It was not cheep but you can not go fast for cheep.

Back in the day , I have had a supercharged GSXR1276 , and 2 GSXR n/a 1255cc and 1340cc . If I do anything to the Busa , it will be either a supercharged or turbo kit , or freshen up the stock motor with some mild mods once it accumulates big miles.
In regards to the supercharger kit ,I also are not a huge fan of the belt cover on the side / fairing cut , but I could live with it okay . It might even fit in with my Busa changed up appearance better . The Zed14 will be left stock motor and freshen up when needed .

Back in the day , I have had a supercharged GSXR1276 , and 2 GSXR n/a 1255cc and 1340cc . If I do anything to the Busa , it will be either a supercharged or turbo kit , or freshen up the stock motor with some mild mods once it accumulates big miles.
In regards to the supercharger kit ,I also are not a huge fan of the belt cover on the side / fairing cut , but I could live with it okay . It might even fit in with my Busa changed up appearance better . The Zed14 will be left stock motor and freshen up when needed .
Hi. The supercharger on DAS's bike takes over 100 HP to run it. For me a supercharger is for low reving bikes like HD's. They also put out to much low end HP. I do not think there is a way to bleed off boost. Well maybe an electric blow off valve?

Me - big bore kit
More torque in the low-mid range
bike retains stock look - better for cops and insurance
I get to keep the oil cooler
Give me a lazy 230HP

The 2 that I've seen start and idle as a stocky.
It all comes down to the people that are screwing it together on how you want it set up.
Big bore for racing - or big bore for street and cruising. (street and cruising - that's me)

My ultimate would be a small roots type nestled in with the motor

You never really said what the purpose of the build was. As the rest said turbo if your going to daily, unless your drag racing that stage 1 rcc should be all you need and its turn key. Tremendous power and reliability with little to no motor work with a price tag to match. That's what I want but I like that racing and more opportunity for me with stupid nitrous.

View attachment 1639562
personally most my riding is casual around town type stuff and some highway pulls. no drag racing what so ever. motor builds sounded nice as there was no extra stuff really and everything kept a stock look. it also sounded simpler because most the places that do it are all turn key, drive in drive out. turbo on the other had is ripping stuff out, adding new stuff, it's obvious it's on there and since there is all kind of "kits" i would buy it and try to do it myself. because i'm stupid like that lol.
I never really stopped to think that a big bore would make it less fun to ride. but mostly i just was lookin for the info and opinions everyone here had towards both. see a lot of turbos, almost no big bores. was wondering why that was. i like learning from yall, your experiences are valuable as all hell for a dork like me with 2 yr riding experience :)

personally most my riding is casual around town type stuff and some highway pulls. no drag racing what so ever. motor builds sounded nice as there was no extra stuff really and everything kept a stock look. it also sounded simpler because most the places that do it are all turn key, drive in drive out. turbo on the other had is ripping stuff out, adding new stuff, it's obvious it's on there and since there is all kind of "kits" i would buy it and try to do it myself. because i'm stupid like that lol.
I never really stopped to think that a big bore would make it less fun to ride. but mostly i just was lookin for the info and opinions everyone here had towards both. see a lot of turbos, almost no big bores. was wondering why that was. i like learning from yall, your experiences are valuable as all hell for a dork like me with 2 yr riding experience :)
If you dont like those little pipes sticking out that hole in the side of your fairing, I have seen people use an exhaust that routes to the rear like factory. But I understand what your talking about. I took one of mine to rc's performance in 2014. Got the head and cam package, added pc5, short stacks, and bored throttle bodies. Its over 200 h.p. and will take you ocean to ocean no problem.

20170514_224746.jpg

You've only been riding for 2 years and wanna turbo/big bore a busa??? You crazy! I've been riding for along time and still trying to get down first gear from a dig on my busa and it's got light mods with +2 in the rear -1 in the front... I'd switch your gearing first and see if you can handle first wide open before going those other routes.

Read @s3ns4i post on his bike at least the last time I seen it you couldn't tell it had a turbo on it unless u went looking. He has an actual exhaust on his and everything tucked neatly away under the fairings. I was real excited when ejr started trespassing videos on their gen 2 Megatron and was taking about staying na and got a little depressed about them deciding out would eventually be turboed. I think for me I'd prefer a big bore just because i would love to keep the turbos out of the equation just to try and beat up on the guys with them and if I did it'd be that much sweeter.

Back