More definitive Helibar answers

Johnny Bravo

Registered
I have a 2008 (Gen 2) with the Puig Double Bubble Windscreen.

I already had Soupy 1" risers.

I also have Galfer +1" stainless steel brake lines and stock clutch line.

I installed the Helibars.

They do NOT clear the windscreen. Not because of the brake reservoir, but because of the ignition controls, believe it or not.
At full left lockout (like you would lock the bike) the kill switch, and then the top the throttle collar would catch the edge of the windscreen.
At full right lockout, the bright light switch would catch the edge of the windscreen. The reservoirs didn't really make any contact anywhere on the windscreen.

THIS IS A DANGEROUS CONDITION!!!!

Even before you hit full left lock, like just making a tight left turn, you'd kill the bike. I could tell it was going to be a problem, so there was no way I was going to actually ride the bike. I was working on the driveway. Just pulling the bike into the garage and turning the handlebars a little to the left caused the windscreen to hit the kill switch. At speed, you'd be in a world of trouble. Make a right turn? Turn your brights on.

CONCLUSION: Helibars + 1" risers + double bubble windscreen = DOESN'T WORK.

I can verify that Galfer +1" lines are plenty for Helibars and 1" risers. I can also verify that stock clutch line is plenty for Helibars and 1" riser. But that combo will NOT work with the Puig DB windscreen.

So I took the risers off. I'm not sure what windscreen the guys with 3/4" risers are using, but I'm not entirely sure the Helibars and 3/4" risers would clear my windscreen, either.

I may try to find a shop to lathe my 1" risers down and then try them again.

Just throwing out some more information for those of you looking to do Helibars + some sort of spacer if you have a Puig DB windscreen.

I'm going to ride tomorrow and see if there is any noticeable difference between my cheap 1" risers and the Helibars.

modify the windscreen

grinding.jpg

:whistle:

:laugh:

grinding.jpg

Genmar 3/4" risers, heli-bars and MRA Vario touring screen and I have no clearance issues. Your problem is due to the extra 1/4" and maybe the style of the windshield you are using.

Genmar 3/4" risers, heli-bars and MRA Vario touring screen and I have no clearance issues. Your problem is due to the extra 1/4" and maybe the style of the windshield you are using.

You are correct on both counts. Too much spacer and/or the wrong windscreen for that combo.

I know what I need to do to fix the issue. I just wanted to throw this combination out there so people would know what DOESN'T work, as well as what does.

The spacers are just billet aluminum bar stock or something. What could I use to cut them and keep them perfectly flat?

Going to try to cut my spacer down to 3/4" and see if that clears the windscreen. I know Helibars + 3/4" risers work on the touring screen Helibars + 3/4" risders work on the vario screen. Not sure about that combo on the PDB, yet. I really don't want to ditch the screen, if I don't have to.

The helibars will make more of an impact on your comfort than the risers.. They helibars change the angle of the bars in addition to the rise..

You are correct on both counts. Too much spacer and/or the wrong windscreen for that combo.

I know what I need to do to fix the issue. I just wanted to throw this combination out there so people would know what DOESN'T work, as well as what does.

The spacers are just billet aluminum bar stock or something. What could I use to cut them and keep them perfectly flat?

Going to try to cut my spacer down to 3/4" and see if that clears the windscreen. I know Helibars + 3/4" risers work on the touring screen Helibars + 3/4" risders work on the vario screen. Not sure about that combo on the PDB, yet. I really don't want to ditch the screen, if I don't have to.

A lathe is the easiest way to precisely cut metal that small and round.
It can be done on several types of mills and saws also, and it's not adviseable to saw it by hand.
A good machine shop should charge a half hour's labor to cut them down.

I have Helibars and Puig d/b windscreen and never had any clearance issues. If you're okay without the risers, I would take them off.

A buddy of mine's father-in-law has a machine shop and he worked some magic on my spacers.

He broke out the micrometer and using his lathe, took .30" off each spacer. They are now .70" tall.

Using the .70" spacers and the helibars, everything clears at full left lock, and only the very tip top of the bright light switch BARELY catches the edge of the windscreen at full right lock.

I think I may just dremel a smidgeon off the left edge of the windscreen so there is no contact at full right lock.

But I think this may very well be the perfect combination for me.

Helibars + .70" risers + Puig DB windscreen = just about perfect.

Hi - i just bought an '07 Busa with a chrome triple tree (used for lowering i'm assuming). Can i still do a 3/4" spacer and helibars with the right windscreen like the Puig DB and get that to work? Will the chrome triple tree change anything i guess is my question...?

Back