Modifications to a 2010 Ninja 250R

I'm the fiance. :D

I'm selling my BMW 650GS which has about 49hp - mucho torque, but no get up and go. I have put 50k+ on the '05 and done all the maintenance, too, but I need something different. The BMW is set up for touring and I've been coast to coast on it, but now I'm not touring at all - the bike isn't 'fun' buzzing around town because it's too torque'y. Riding in the twisties won't allow me to sling it around a corner because it's got a higher ground clearance as it has 30% offroad capabilities.

I want a fun, light, zippy bike. I don't care to ride on the highways anymore or travel long distances. I just wanna scoot around town... not race anyone. I don't have the urge or the desire to travel at a high rate of speed at all. I don't care for the weight of my bike(485lbs.) and feel like I'm constantly having to 'work' it. I quit riding it 2 yrs ago because it wasn't fun anymore and getting on the freeways made me nervous(though I have yet to figure out why). Too tired to keep guessing as to why I'm now so skittish on a heavier bike, I've decided to get a smaller one to overcome all that.

I love riding, but want to stay away from heavier bikes, even though they are much more capable - I just want to feel the wind in my face, sling myself around a corner or 2 and enjoy riding on 2 wheels. A smaller, lighter bike seems to be what I'm focusing on and the 250R looks like a good choice. Should I feel like I want to go faster, mods are available for this bike and seems like it would do what I'd want it to.

My first bike was a SV650S - but I sold it early because I found I was traveling and wanted a bike more set up for touring. I know what the SV can do, and that's not what I'm looking for now. Too much for what I want. If I change my mind, I can always sell the 250R and buy a larger bike, but I don't foresee that happening.

Now that that's all outta the way, can we please get back to what mods are available for this bike and what ya'll have done to yours?

Many thanks! :D

Thank you for writing "fiance". Now I know what you really want in YOUR bike.
I've had the 250 for almost 3 years now ( and yes, I have an 07 Busa). This little bike is absolutely a fun bike! I've put 24,000 miles on it commuting 50 miles daily and the only "mod" was to change the gearing so I can cruise at 6,000 rpm all day long without the engine screaming....and yes, it's only got 27 horsepower, but it's a blast to handle....you can practically carry it under your arm. You want fun and not cement crumbling torque...get it...you can always sell it and probably won't lose a penny. Anyway, just some experience with this well designed little bike being shared with you. Good luck with your decision making process for YOUR bike.
Robert

Thank you for writing "fiance". Now I know what you really want in YOUR bike.
I've had the 250 for almost 3 years now ( and yes, I have an 07 Busa). This little bike is absolutely a fun bike! I've put 24,000 miles on it commuting 50 miles daily and the only "mod" was to change the gearing so I can cruise at 6,000 rpm all day long without the engine screaming....and yes, it's only got 27 horsepower, but it's a blast to handle....you can practically carry it under your arm. You want fun and not cement crumbling torque...get it...you can always sell it and probably won't lose a penny. Anyway, just some experience with this well designed little bike being shared with you. Good luck with your decision making process for YOUR bike.
Robert

Appreciate you sharing your experience, Robert. I like the fact that you have both ends of the extreme and very happy with each one, individually.

Heidi

Good summary. So you want lightweight first and foremost and power is not on the list of needs and you want it to handle.

Have you thought about buying a supermoto like the Suzuki DRZ400SM? I know Kawi and Yamaha have also come out with new smaller supermoto style bikes as well. Other than those you are pretty limited in your selection of smaller bikes unless you go retro with something like an RZ350 but thats a 2 stroke with lots more power than what you have been riding. As was previously mentioned there is the GS500 as well. Sounds like you have already narrowed down the choices and arrived at the little Ninja. Put a pipe on it and enjoy is all I can say....nice looking bike.

Good summary. So you want lightweight first and foremost and power is not on the list of needs and you want it to handle.

Have you thought about buying a supermoto like the Suzuki DRZ400SM? I know Kawi and Yamaha have also come out with new smaller supermoto style bikes as well. Other than those you are pretty limited in your selection of smaller bikes unless you go retro with something like an RZ350 but thats a 2 stroke with lots more power than what you have been riding. As was previously mentioned there is the GS500 as well. Sounds like you have already narrowed down the choices and arrived at the little Ninja. Put a pipe on it and enjoy is all I can say....nice looking bike.

The DRZ is too tall for me. I've been looking at the XT225, but was recently introduced to the Kawi 250 Supermoto. Both are appealing to me, but I probably won't utilize the offroad abilities of the bike - even though they have a bit more power, it'd be like a smaller version of the bike I have now, just lighter weight. One of the reasons I'm leaning toward a sport bike is that I'd like to, at least, have a similar riding experience as my partner - just not as fast.

New pipe sounds like a must. All the other stuff will come..... should I feel the need for speed. :laugh:

She definitely has her mind set at least for now. Has anyone ever had the header off & measured the exhaust port. Maybe I can fabricate a custom header & install an alien head. :whistle: Brock what do you think?

Muzzy makes a full exhaust for it...as does roaring toyz..RT also has a lowering package that makes it look pretty sweet

oh and check out orient express They have a pretty big variety of stuff for them

Vance & Hines
VHR-43507-800aw.jpg

APE Cam Sprockets
TOPCBR108RR-012-600aw.jpg

Lowering Links
YAN-A3101.jpg

Rear Sets
SATK-250RS-BKRight.jpg

SATK-250RS-BKLeft.jpg

Sliders
SATK-250FS-BK-LHS1.jpeg

SATK-250FS-BK-RHS1.jpeg

Ohlins Suspension
OHL-36PRCL.jpg

Swingarm Spools
SatoBlackSpools-500aw.jpg

power commander....and the list goes on...

do this...get her a larger bike like a 600...go buy one of these fishing line sinker
pinch the sinker over the throttle cable at it rests at 6k rpm...it will keep her from twisting it past6k and into the spot where it pulls to hard for her...when she gets used to that move the sinker back on the throttle cable to about 7k and so on

Clipboard02.jpg

do this...get her a larger bike like a 600...go buy one of these fishing line sinker
pinch the sinker over the throttle cable at it rests at 6k rpm...it will keep her from twisting it past6k and into the spot where it pulls to hard for her...when she gets used to that move the sinker back on the throttle cable to about 7k and so on

I guess you haven't read her posts above? She is pretty firm in that she wants a small lightweight bike. She isn't a beginner and has plenty of experience on 600cc bikes.

powdercoating rearsets and other stuff is a very cheap sweet mod.

if i were you i would find out what gearing the bike has stock and what gearing headtrip went with.

i would also save money by purchasing a slip on exhaust compared to a full exhaust. and if they make a bubble smoke windscreen i would get one of those.

that is the mod list i would go with.

post up what you end up doing and how you like it

powdercoating rearsets and other stuff is a very cheap sweet mod.

if i were you i would find out what gearing the bike has stock and what gearing headtrip went with.

i would also save money by purchasing a slip on exhaust compared to a full exhaust. and if they make a bubble smoke windscreen i would get one of those.

that is the mod list i would go with.

post up what you end up doing and how you like it

Thanks for your input. Just out of curiosity, why go with a slip on?

i would go with a slip on just to save money and easier to install. even if you get a full system it would require either a power commander or flashing the ecu to get the horsepower out of it which would be more money. then you just spent 800bucks or whatever to gain 4 horse on a bike that isn't really meant for the track or highspeeds to begin with.

so to save that money and trouble i would just spend 3 hun or so on the best looking/sounding slip on i could find. i like this one in carbon fiber
58cycle Parts & Accessories Webstore

ask one of the sponsors here i bet you can get a deal on it

my wife bought an 08 to learn on, she had never ridden a motorcycle before. she now wants something bigger and that can keep up. ive rode it more than a few times and it goes ok you just have to red line it on every shift. where these little bikes amaze is in the corners. you can lean that little thing with the skinny azz tires so far over its crazy. as far as i have seen there are virtualy no mods that make much hp although i did see a turbo i think done in europe some ware that made 50 hp.
moral of the story is there are plenty of lite bikes out there with a proper amout of power.

I'm pretty sure there was also a special edition 250 Ninja with a Yosh pipe and some other goodies?

Back