Tag Mount

standiggity

Registered
I recently bought a carbon fiber exhaust system, and the Top Gun Undertail, and a side tag mount (off the rear axle, and on curve). I ask my friend's brother who is a police in my hometown, and he said it's a 140$ ticket if I install it, as the tag has to be mounted on the REAR of the bike, not peg, or rear spindle, or anything but the stock position (Thanks Georgia) ... so, now I'm looking for a simple, not to expensive, way to mount it on the undertail. I already ahve the tag light, and I'm trying to avoid using the stock piece, and would like something more sturdy... and don't want to have to ghetto cut the plastic from the blinkers and "mud flap". Any help is appreciated!

I have a Top Gun and added the two L-shaped aluminum backets for the Motek undertail that my shop had laying around and it works great, low profile and I bent them to my desire angle, Ill take a few pics later today if I get a few minutes.

I hear you. It's a stupid stupid tag law. I've recieved tickets before on the same thing.

Top Gun and UFO are made by the same company I think... anyway, they have a CF mount (came with my UFO) that fits the undertail.

Do not forget you technically need illumination as well

Don just did a write up on using angle bars or Ls as described here to mount tag horizontally under the tail. Do a search I'm sure there's several.

The problems with the mount you bought is that they break off easy and drag from what I've read here. The law is the law. It's written in an effort to make it easier for the vehicle license to be read. In SC it must be horizontally mounted, at least 12 to 36 inches above pavement, lighted, and clearly read from 50 feet, etc. etc.

Bad thing is, most of the HD crowd get away with alternate tag locations. The last time i recieved a tag ticket i asked the State pig about why the HD crowd goes free and he said they don't. Riiiiiight i thought, as literally a softtail rolled by with a left side tag/taillight combo. The cop said NOTHING to the guy and sent him on his way. It's a bunch of BS.

Bad thing is, most of the HD crowd get away with alternate tag locations. The last time i recieved a tag ticket i asked the State pig about why the HD crowd goes free and he said they don't. Riiiiiight i thought, as literally a softtail rolled by with a left side tag/taillight combo. The cop said NOTHING to the guy and sent him on his way. It's a bunch of BS.
I try to treat everyone the same way regardless, but I would not be telling the truth if I said that about every officer.

Don just did a write up on using angle bars or Ls as described here to mount tag horizontally under the tail. Do a search I'm sure there's several.

The problems with the mount you bought is that they break off easy and drag from what I've read here. The law is the law. It's written in an effort to make it easier for the vehicle license to be read. In SC it must be horizontally mounted, at least 12 to 36 inches above pavement, lighted, and clearly read from 50 feet, etc. etc.
Here is a link to my post. It was on my GSXR. mikev7 posted a photo (post 44) of his Busa using the same brackets.

https://www.hayabusa.org/forums/?act=ST;f=12;t=88900;hl=

I just did this yesterday. I used the CF backet that came with the undertail and then made a stainless piece that to mount to that because the thing they give you is nowhere big enough to mount a US sized plate on. The holes on the CF piece were not center so put it where you want it and then drill... I use Stainless bolts with nylon nuts, they don't come loose. I added a 3/16 spacer between the plate and the bracket to allow the screw heads not to be up against the plate. I am looking today for a plate light because like you MA says the plate has to be in the middlee BLAH BLAH BLAH and have its own light or no sticker or get a fine if you get pulled over... I was thinking one on those LED plate light bolts you can get at the car crap stores. A single one mounted in front of the plate facing down should be ok. I'll let you know what I find.

CFbracket.jpg

cheap L brackets work the best...I usually use strapping on the inside of the tail to Samwich the glass tail in hopes dispersion of the pressure will not cause the tail to crack at the holes.

I didn't mean every cop is a jerk. So far, there's this one Motorcycle VA state cop around the Woodbridge,va area that thinks he's gonna save the world dishing out tag tickets. Plus, the guy's a total jerk.

Mine has been mounted on the side since I have had the bike . I live in Georgia and have been pulled of plenty of times have never once had them say anything about it .. Guess im just lucky so far ..Always thought the law stated as long as it is visible and facing the rear ..

a good friend of mine bought a brand new HD nightster last year and it came from the factory with a side mount that can easily be folded in while riding....

Massachusetts law reads horizontal mount viewable for 180 degrees at 50' and lit with its own light.

I found some little LEDs that are in a plastic housing that are like 1.5 CM square and shoot the light in one direction. They mount with double sided 3M pads and have a single wire with 2 stranded bells wires inside...

Mounted the tags on the GXXR and the Busa exactly the same way.

Here is a link to my post.  It was on my GSXR.  mikev7 posted a photo (post 44) of his Busa using the same brackets.

https://www.hayabusa.org/forums/?act=ST;f=12;t=88900;hl=
+1
laugh.gif
i was just about to tell him about this but read on instead AND HERE YOU ARE
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Back