Mistakes you have made while riding

Let's see about those mistakes.

Too hot into a corner. First time I hit the front brakes, not a good idea. I ended up in the other lane before I knew what happened. Learned my lesson though, when I was at the dragon, got in too hot and just laid the beast over. It will stick more than you think.

Based off the mistake above, when riding twisties, you might want to move your feet back an inch or so on the pegs. My boots are living proof. Just ask TNJ or Pure Ego. I don't have anything left on the front outside corners of them.

Ride at your own level. Learned that lesson by laying down my old Yamaha 750. Luckily I was okay and the bike wasn't too damaged. It is a hell of a lot louder when you break the pipes off. hehehe.

Buy anti-fog spray. Was drag racing about a month ago at the local track and about halfway down, I was completely fogged up. I couldn't even see the handle bars. For a spit second I thought about riding it out, I mean, hey it's straight, but I thought better of it and backed off.

Also, when you have it wound up and are bringing the speed back down, don't poke your head up until you are below 100. Don't ask me how I know that one.

When I approach a side road with a car waiting to turn, I sit up on the bike from the crouch. I'm hoping the movement will catch their eye. I also ALWAYS ride with the high beam on.

Forgot one. The first thing you should spend money on after getting the bike is gear. Get the stuff to protect yourself before making it look better, make it go faster, etc. etc. Best investment I made was in the riding gear. I ALWAYS wear the gloves and jacket. When I'm just riding, the leather pants and boots go on.

Forgot one.  The first thing you should spend money on after getting the bike is gear.  Get the stuff to protect yourself before making it look better, make it go faster, etc. etc.  Best investment I made was in the riding gear.  I ALWAYS wear the gloves and jacket.  When I'm just riding, the leather pants and boots go on.
right on Pastee's....GEAR is eveything . Had a guy at work ask me the other day...I wanna get into bikin? Whats my first step ? I told him... BUY THE BEST GEAR AROUND . If you dont want to afford it....DONT RIDE .
I'll be the "official" site GEAR NAZI if ya want. I dont mind.
The other day , I see a fu&#ing jerk(pardon my french) I see this DUD....no...not dude...I see this DUD. He's on a organ transplant machine of some sort .Cant remem . He's wearin' shorts an' tee.
ok...so he's a REAL jerg-off . Ride in what ya want goof.
I cant fix the whole world , right? But he has this little Twinkee on the back...you know....she's like 17...first time on a bike probably . She wearin.....A THONG . YUP . Thats about it . Sure she has shorts on . A tee-shirt too. GREAT.
JUZ FUGGIN GREAT .
WELL....I'm not one to hold back on my opinion , or feelings, as some of you may know . I pull up beside him an' ask him....
"Did yer Momma have any children that lived?" .
He looks at me kinda weird....he dun't get it .
I told him why dont ya slo down a lil an' get yer girl home in one piece...stop ridin like a fughead...she 'll be greatfull...an' you can be a hero in other ways . He was a goof about it.
She looked at me an' smiled...I think she figured it out.
Preppy boy , did not have a clue .
I think you should not be allowed to carry a pillion untill yer at least 25....maybe 30 . Anyway.....GEAR .
THATS THE MORAL OF THE STORY .
If yer ridin' roun' my lil piece of the planet , an' you've got a real nice 80 dollar Tommy Middle Finger shirt on , nuthin' else,I'm gonna laff at ya . If you've got some innocent on the back , yer wife , yer girlfriend , or WORSE yet,a child, I'll be on ya like white on rice . Ya I know....here comes the tuff guy , here come's the flaming....WHATEVER .

Ever sat in a hospital room , an' had them scrub gravel out of your back with a plastic spiked nail brush.....I HAVE .

They say....."THERE ARE TWO KINDS OF BIKERS...
THOSE WHO HAVE CRASHED....
AND THOSE WHO ARE GONNA...

wear what ya want ..............................but please.... armour up yer loved ones.

1) forget to put kickstand down in front of office with a bunch of onlookers..............

2) when implementing rear stand, going too fast. Therefore, causing bike to go from kickstand to right fairing before you know it.

biggrin.gif

[/quote]Mistake #5:  At this club called the Frat House, I saw this hot chick in a tight electric green skirt and low cut top, sexy/ratty hair and a young face to die for.  Found out she is a guy.  Let the wretching begin!!![/quote]
Hmmmmm i think #5  translates into "CHECK UNDER THE HOOD BEFORE YOU TAKE IT HOME"  
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Ever see crocodile dundee WW hehe give them alittle squeaze test before you bring home something you didnt bargain for LOL

Ok here's my list, starting with the most embarrassing

1) Doing a burnout, got excited by all the smoke and looked over my right shoulder to check out all the smoke....... While smiling to myself my hand slipped off the clutch, the bike wheelied, threw me off the back and did the best wheelie I've ever seen going down the street "RIDERLESS" eventually crashing.... To make matters worse this chick i really liked was watching in a crowd i hadn't noticed behind a group of trees.......... Man sometimes bad just turns to worse.. But the most embarassing part is when the people rush up and ask you, "ARE YOU OK"? (600 yamaha)

2) Coming to a stop on a country road, and pulling to far to the right edge of the road, and putting my foot down only to realize there was a 4-5 inch drop at the edge of the pavement, which is pretty typical of rural roads in general.(750 suzuki)

3) Letting a shop load my bike on a trailer after a service, and not checking after them. I checked the straps, but not if they had engaged the clutch and put it in gear. 40 miles down the road in the rain the bike shifted and fell over on the trailer. (the first noticable scratches and chip on the busa)

4) riding a BIG CHICK on the pillion ........ she looked so small and sexy sitting in the passenger seat of the car, but by the time she stepped out of it and i saw her from the waist down I know i'ld made a BIG MISTAKE..... Man i could swear i heard the frame squeaking on my 750

Well live, learn, and try not to make the same mistakes twice!

I have made many, and I talk about very few. Bad luck to talk about it. When i was in my 20's i went to a party and got drunk. I was riding my new 750/4 Honda. Everything was vibrating so much I could not even see in the mirrosrs. By the time I could see i had every cop car in South east wisconsin after me. They did not think it was funny. Cuffs, head on the Cop's window(ouch) Lost my lincence for 6 months (now it would be years). I never havce more then one beer while riding now. that is al i would talk about. if i would of had my Busa back then, i would be D.O.A

grim.gif
fireskull.gif
firedevil.gif

Dont believe in bad luck myself, just in good luck and no luck.

This has definitally been a good read for me, and i hope for others.

A stupid thing i did in my garage(more for a laugh than helping): This was back when i had my sportster, it was after i had just started riding a few months. Wasnt thinking or something that day. My first wheelie attempt too
tounge.gif
I had just spent 4 hours cleaning, and waxing my harley. I had heard that people were able to do wheelies on their sportsters, so I thought "I wonder if mine will wheelie". without a clue how to wheelie, i started her up, walked it a little out of the garage. Got back on the seat(passanger seat), got the revs up, poped the clutch, CLANK! engine dies. Me being the idiot i was at the time, I tried the same again, but this time it moved, almost jerked my arms out of their sockets and nearly went out of the seat. There was also a rug under my rear tire (didnt pull it out far enough) the had a flight. Luckly my arms were only sore and i was able to stop. Put the bike back in the garage and swore never to do anything as stupid again.

At least this isnt as bad as not "checking under the hood"
tounge.gif
Would of been a shame if you ended up taking IT home and then finding out later in the night, ewww.

tounge.gif

Monsterspeedfreak posted this one earlier and it reminded me of two I did.
Left a light the other night, got on it hard in first, with tires that were too cold........ The bike spun right away, slowely picked the front end off the ground while spinning then suddenly grabbed traction and heaved the front end straight towards the stars in a split second.........Very scary.....happens in a fraction of a second.
Be aware of this, when you're on it hard in 1st.....
I got lucky and let off fast enough to drop it back down.
Scared the crap out of me though!!!!!! [/QUOTE]

Watch out when pulling away from toll booths.
Part one:
One night while riding home from work I was on my 600.  I was taking it easy all the way up to the toll booth and as I was pulling away I decided to get on it.  I nailed the gas and just as I caught second I hit the end of the pad the booth is built on.  There is about a two to three inch drop.  That was enough to make the bike stand straight up.  The front came up so fast the tank slapped me in the chest.  I did manage to get off the gas and slam the front back down.  It was a long ride from the booth to the house that night.

Part Two:
Same bike, same toll booth but this time going to work.  I dropped my fifty cents in the bucket and when the gate lifted I was off like a shot.  I looked over my shoulder to see if the commuter lane was open and when I looked back right in front of me was a stalled car.  Just as I started to swerve I saw the drivers door starting to open.  I was thinking it's all over now.  Thankfully he saw me, pulled the door back closed and I just made it by without hitting him.  

Look out at the Toll Booths there are a lot of things to get you at those things.

Monsterspeedfreak posted this one earlier and it reminded me of two I did.
Left a light the other night, got on it hard in first, with tires that were too cold........ The bike spun right away, slowely picked the front end off the ground while spinning then suddenly grabbed traction and heaved the front end straight towards the stars in a split second.........Very scary.....happens in a fraction of a second.
Be aware of this, when you're on it hard in 1st.....
I got lucky and let off fast enough to drop it back down.
Scared the crap out of me though!!!!!!

Watch out when pulling away from toll booths.
Part one:
One night while riding home from work I was on my 600.  I was taking it easy all the way up to the toll booth and as I was pulling away I decided to get on it.  I nailed the gas and just as I caught second I hit the end of the pad the booth is built on.  There is about a two to three inch drop.  That was enough to make the bike stand straight up.  The front came up so fast the tank slapped me in the chest.  I did manage to get off the gas and slam the front back down.  It was a long ride from the booth to the house that night.

Part Two:
Same bike, same toll booth but this time going to work.  I dropped my fifty cents in the bucket and when the gate lifted I was off like a shot.  I looked over my shoulder to see if the commuter lane was open and when I looked back right in front of me was a stalled car.  Just as I started to swerve I saw the drivers door starting to open.  I was thinking it's all over now.  Thankfully he saw me, pulled the door back closed and I just made it by without hitting him.  

Look out at the Toll Booths there are a lot of things to get you at those things.[/QUOTE]
I have seen may bikes go down at toll boths. Very heavy oil and grease, little too much gas and wham.

MikeyUSF,
Is a firm believer in just blowing through the booths because they are so messed up, safer to just roll on through in the pre-paid lane. He has his plate mounted ahead of the rear tire so I think that probably helps him avoid the picture takers...May not be such a bad idea depending on where you live.
Florida toll booths can be very slipperey.

Good thread here. I suggest everyone read some of the research offered up by the National Highway Transportation Safety Board. They supposedly have lots of statistics on motorcycle accidents

50% of all accidents occur at intersections

40% of all bike accidents occur while biker is under the influence..this is tragic....what idiot would get on a bike after drinking.....this is ridiculous.

Most accidents happen to people with under 1 year of riding experience.

Basically, you have to assume that EVERYONE CANT SEE YOU and thus EVERYONE HAS THE POTENTIAL TO HIT YOU

The guy making the right turn onto the street....assume he can't see you.

The left turner in the intersection....ditto....I like the idea by another poster of using a big car to block for you going through an intersection. Terrific idea.

And reading all the advice about turns.....good stuff. The hardest adjustment has been turns with the busa. Things happen so darn fast.

Keep up these posts....they are LIFE SAVERS

this is. without a doubt, the most i have learned at any one time about the possible mistakes, and what NOT to do.
now i personally have not made any huge mistakes, mostly because i have only been able to ride up and down the street, due to lack of M1.... *sigh* (a situation that will be fixed in less than 48 hours)
anyway. i once saw a guy on some kind of a cruiser with his scantily clad girlfriend on the back weaving through traffic, pulls right in front of the motorhome i was in, proceeds to the right hand shoulder (it was paved) and rips up, passing the 55 mph traffic with ease. untill there is a side street.. and a guy in a big car took the right hand turn. right in front of the bike, which glanced off the side (the biker did manage to turn a little) and flew into the ditch, the biker had a leather jacket on, jeans, but no helmet, he was fine but really ticked off the poor guy had turned right in front of him. it was the bikers fault, and his girlfriend is the one who will carry the scars the rest of her life.
but again that goes back to getting the right gear. ahh well. thought i'd share, and keep em coming!!! learning a lot just sitting here reading.

Taking off with the U-lock in the front wheel: $300.00
Drinking and riding: $12,000.00
Target fixation: $400.00
Buying used bikes from neglectful owners: $5,000.00
Speeding tickets from riding like I was invinceable: UNCALCULABLE
Being older, wiser, calmer and more experienced: PRICELESS

I think Is what Babuski was talking about,
Ahem, To quote myself...
sigh.gif

2. Try not to run through any intersection without company, especially if there are rush hour idiots waiting to turn left.  What I do is I try to find a real nice big car, Suburban etc... and keep them handy at the intersections...IE I will slow down or speed up to avoid being all alone as I go through an intersection.  Once through, I pull ahead of my "Blocker" and just sit a few lengths ahead until the next intersection etc...
Basicaly use the cages to your advantage.[/QUOTE]

One little caveat I would add to the above technique, is to be certain that your "blockers" know you are there or that you are coming.  It could lead to getting pushed around by your blocker because you all of the sudden are right there next to them.  Statistically though the number one cause of bikes getting plowed is the car turning left in front of them, so I will take my chances with a blocker traveling the same direction I am.  

Just be sure to <span style='color:orangered'>STAY OUT OF THE CARS/TRUCKS BLIND SPOTS!!!</span>

Back