Argh! Made a stupid mistake and broke an exhaust manifold stud into head!

1UP

Registered
My first oil change turned into a headache and more expensive than planned! I made a stupid mistake while changing the oil and looking around behind the fairing. So I saw and thought that the exhaust manifold bolts appeared to be loose and decided to tighten the bolts. After turning the first bolt about 3/4 of a turn, "snap," the darn bolt broke off! Now there's only about 1/8 inch of stud sticking out. (picture #1)

I suppose that the tightening length for each bolt are all uneven for fitment flexibility, correct? (picture #2)

I visually inspected the work area and it appeared to be too tight of an area to attempt extraction and wasn't feeling up to the job so I went and got two quotes from two separate dealerships for $340 and $190 to have the stud taken out.

What a day! I'm so mad. I was just about to finish up the oil change and continue on to install HID lights! Now the fairing is back on the bike and I'm just staring at it in stupidity.

With just about 1/8 inch left of stud sticking out, is there any chance I would be able to fit some kind of extraction tool/socket to get it out? Please let me know what you guys think as I'm not too happy about having to spend money to fix one of my stupid mistakes.

11.jpg

22.jpg

oh no good luck with that I would be upset also I have done my fair share of messing things up by working on my bikes

That really sucks. It could be drilled out, and retapped to clean out the threads, or maybe use an easy-out only if you know what youre doin. Please take to a professional. Don't **** it up any worse than it already is. Worst case you may need to have the head pulled and taken to a machine shop. After market exhaust I presume?

Slowly disassemble it to where you can really work on it.
Get an easy out and remove it. Those things look fairly new, not rusty and probably aren't in there too tight.
Be careful take your time. Good luck

Looks like there may be just enough sticking out to grab onto with some vise grips also.
Maybe, maybe try to clamp on it and turn it back out?

I'm an expert in rebuilding 100+ engines in my life. I would NOT attempt an easy-out in this case, nor drilling. I'd pay someone to do it. Heads ain't cheap :)

Defiantly spend the money on the shop not on a new head.

Unless you are 100% comfortable with easy out don't attempt it on such an expensive part of your bike.

After market exhaust I presume?

Yes, aftermarket VooDoo exhaust.

Well, after taking some time off to vent, I want to attempt the extraction myself but it also seems like it could be another costly mistake... *sigh*

Thanks for the input guys. I'll probably just suck it up and pay the shop.

Who swapped the bolts? What is in the pic is not OEM,,
But any way, if your not confident to drill it out for an extractor, a shop is probably a better choice.
Leave the body work off, so they don't charge to do that. and what ever else. The shop will have to most likely remove the radiator at least to work on it!

Take rad off for easier access. Take pipe rest of the way off.
Find a good welder have them tig a washer to the exposed bolt. Then tig another bolt to the washer. Then turn the bolt out.
You might have a mess if you try to drill and tap.
I work on cars to and have had to remove many broken exhaust bolts out of alum head. The method I described works GREAT.
And I say tig weld for more Prescision and less heat than a mig.

I was a Diemaker and have run into this a hundred or more times.

98% of the time (if the screw is not bottomed out) I could remove a screw by using a sharp pick punch and a hammer.
If you were close I would come over and do it for free.

Welding may heatup the area and make it expand.

Good luck and let us know how you got it out.

Sorry to jump this thread, but I have a similar question.

I plan on removing my stock exhaust on my 00 Busa this spring. This is the first time the exhaust has been removed so I'm worried about possible bolt breakage like this. Is there any recommendations beyond penetrating oil for safe removal? The area is very clean with no corrosion at all, but the bolts have been in there for fifteen years.

Thanks for any Help :bigsmile:

Well, luckily I met a fellow rider from a Facebook group who was able help remove the stud by first welding a nut onto it and then just unscrewing it. He didn't seem too experienced in what he was doing but he was able to get the job done. We went through the entire pack of 5 nuts before the last one worked. I paid him $20 for helping out and was happily on my way home after about an hour. Phew!

Now looking at the pictures above, I would think that the fitment of the exhaust flanges would mate to the surface of the header's face/surface. Is that correct?

I think the 2 bolts on the header were not tightened at the same time. This makes the flange bind and puts extra force on the bolt. I go a half twist on each side until they snug up and then use the torque wrench.

Glad you got it out! :thumbsup:

Like others said, patience with a hammer and a sharp punch will get many bolts out.

If a bolt is rusted in heating only the broken bolt with a small tipped torch until it red hot then immediately quenching with cold water until completely cool will often allow you to back the broken bolt out with just your fingers.

The flanges should be parallel with the header. Yours look like somebody got a little carried away tightening them down.

Back