Mirrors/easy to see outa/you need lightweight/good looks/etc

rubbersidedown

TURBO-BUSA-RIDIN'-BASTID
Donating Member
Registered
Busa riders have been bitchin for years they cant see squat outa their mirrors except a good view of their shoulders.
Rubb loves these...one problem recommending them...I have no brand name.
Anyway,super light,highly areodynamic,awesome lookin',got that coating to cut the glare.
Stick out just far enuff to see behind. 5% shoulder...95% objects to the rear.

If you know the brand, that would be cool. THANKS.
Rubb.

Busa riders have been bitchin for years they cant see squat outa their mirrors except a good view of their shoulders.
Rubb loves these...one problem recommending them...I have no brand name.
Anyway,super light,highly areodynamic,awesome lookin',got that coating to cut the glare.
Stick out just far enuff to see behind. 5% shoulder...95% objects to the rear.

View attachment 1623575

View attachment 1623576

View attachment 1623577

View attachment 1623578

View attachment 1623579

If you know the brand, that would be cool. THANKS.
Rubb.
I see a lot of those on ebay. I used to have some on my old 18. They are a little small but do look better than the stock ones.

I see a lot of those on ebay. I used to have some on my old 18. They are a little small but do look better than the stock ones.
I find em just about perfect.A member admired them from a posted pic of mine,so I thought I would put the word out to try and get an' exact link or brand name. Hows yer new bike...awesome?
Rubb.

I find em just about perfect.A member admired them from a posted pic of mine,so I thought I would put the word out to try and get an' exact link or brand name. Hows yer new bike...awesome?
Rubb.
Good thanks, I put the centerstand on, lowered pegs, grip puppies, spools, ordered tank side pads and slip-ons.

I got rid of mirrors on both my bikes and just use a bar end mirror. You do need to tilt your head a bit to look in them but you can't beat them for weight loss and I think sportbikes look so much better without the mirrors on the top cowl.

I got rid of mirrors on both my bikes and just use a bar end mirror. You do need to tilt your head a bit to look in them but you can't beat them for weight loss and I think sportbikes look so much better without the mirrors on the top cowl.
Not a believer in bar end weights? Do you find the bars a little "buzzy" without them? The weight saving crowd would be all over that news,those things weigh a ton.
I have a totally different approach to weight on my Busa. For every pound of weight I add to my bike in bling...I just turn the boost controller up 1 notch. :thumbsup:
Rubb.

Not a believer in bar end weights? Do you find the bars a little "buzzy" without them? The weight saving crowd would be all over that news,those things weigh a ton.
No bar end weights on the 14 or the busa and I can't tell any difference in handlebar vibration. Both bikes have stock yoke and bars. The busa has stock grips, the 14 has aluminum rubber similar to D3s. If you drop the bike, the adapter will save the handle bar because I dropped mine on the adapter twice. It broke the second time but no bar damage. I have an adapter on each side of the busa even though I only use one mirror. You have to have something to dress up the end of the bar and the adapter looks pretty cool even without a mirror.

The busa bar end weights together weigh 1 pound, 9 oz with the screws. Both busa mirrors together weigh 1 lb, 6.60 oz with the screws. Cheap Ebay mirror caps with screws weigh 3.90 oz for both sides and they would be half that if they were aluminum. One MC Motorsports (cheap brand) bar end mirror with adapter and screw weighs 4.85 oz. That's over two and a half pounds weight loss by going with mirror caps and a bar end mirror.

The 14 has CRG bar end mirrors which cost about $80 a piece. The MC Motorsports mirrors were about $15 and they give you two (incase you drop your bike and bust one). The folding joint is just a little inferior on the MC motorsport mirror but not a problem. The clamp is actually better on the MC Motorsports mirror. Both brands fold back automatically when you go fast, no getting around that. It's more aerodynamic that way, so I'm happy! :laugh: I would go with a folding cheapy again any day. Both brands are equal in optics and overall quality. The CRGs are about a half ounce lighter/each.

Cool @Mythos :thumbsup:
I had to go with these in keeping with my "Goth" theme.
I was worried about possible buzzing even thou these weigh a lot,close to OEM.
Performance is great an' all...but I'm just a poser. :p
Rubb.

Those mirrors do go well with your bike. They have kind of a Techno Medieval look. And they're functional!

I just made up some Ti bolts for my Pazzos. Also got some Ti lever pivot pins. The pivot pins are amazing!! Good anodizing and they barrel drilled them. They weigh as much as they would if they were made of aluminum. Zeta Z is the brand. These are for my 14. The busa has Pazzos too but I will be trying an Accossato front brake MC on the busa so I don't know what I'll end up using for lever bolts.

Those mirrors do go well with your bike. They have kind of a Techno Medieval look. And they're functional!

I just made up some Ti bolts for my Pazzos. Also got some Ti lever pivot pins. The pivot pins are amazing!! Good anodizing and they barrel drilled them. They weigh as much as they would if they were made of aluminum. Zeta Z is the brand. These are for my 14. The busa has Pazzos too but I will be trying an Accossato front brake MC on the busa so I don't know what I'll end up using for lever bolts.
"Techno-Medieval" my new favorite way to describe. :thumbsup: Thank you.
Tell me you know the exact weight of your bikes when you began and what they tip the scales at today.
That would be very cool to know. I try and "show off" whenever possible answering the weight question with "It weighs about 1 pound per horsepower." Actually,I don't have a clue what my bike tips the scales at.It is one heavy beast thou. The azz end must be almost double that of stock. That fat rim,tire,extended arm,longer chain. IDK.
There are some "out there" idea's for saving weight. None of which I would do for any reason.
Removal of one disc,caliper,line up front.
Ally sub frame (Gen I)
Ally sprockets
Fiberglass "pan style" drag race seat
Etc.

Ceramic bearings...they would be lighter would they not?
What other extremes have you gone to in this chase for the perfect anorexic Hayabusa. What do you run for wheels?

Here's a different one for ya. One member had another member (tuner/builder) remove the pipes and cans from a stock Busa leaving only the header and x-over,then wrote a map for a Power Commander,mail that to him, which the member ran. No shi7. LOL. How 'bout if the header and x were Ti ?

Is nitrogen lighter than O2 ? Could fill your thinner (180/110) tires with it.
Lighter fork oil....

I'm sure you've switched out your fuel cap...but when do we get to see your....

hmm hmm...

2.45 Kg saved....almost 5 1/2 pounds. Boom.
Rubb.

Rub, I have read about painting AL and it is a chore. One might forego a great aesthetic design depending on their patience. But how about the inside? Are these tanks "set it and forget it" or do they require any sort of long-term maintenance?

Rub, I have read about painting AL and it is a chore. One might forego a great aesthetic design depending on their patience. But how about the inside? Are these tanks "set it and forget it" or do they require any sort of long-term maintenance?
Painting and welding aluminum is a bit more tricky for sure,but its done all the time. Aircraft,boats,etc have used ally tanks for years right.As far as durability goes,it wont rust like steel. I've never painted anything of significance made of AL but I wound guess if it was scuffed (proper grit of sandpaper) right, then a certain type self etching primer,perhaps one with an adhesion promoter (like painting plastic,etc) it would work out just fine.
Perhaps it could be powder coated or anodized. I don't know,would have to research it. I'm sure if you purchased a Yoshi fuel cell they would have the answer. Just a guess,but I would think no treatment of the inside would be necessary.
Busa's for instance, have many painted ally parts right,so I think painting the outside would be a non-issue.
Rubb.

Painting and welding aluminum is a bit more tricky for sure,but its done all the time. Aircraft,boats,etc have used ally tanks for years right.As far as durability goes,it wont rust like steel. I've never painted anything of significance made of AL but I wound guess if it was scuffed (proper grit of sandpaper) right, then a certain type self etching primer,perhaps one with an adhesion promoter (like painting plastic,etc) it would work out just fine.
Perhaps it could be powder coated or anodized. I don't know,would have to research it. I'm sure if you purchased a Yoshi fuel cell they would have the answer. Just a guess,but I would think no treatment of the inside would be necessary.
Busa's for instance, have many painted ally parts right,so I think painting the outside would be a non-issue.
Rubb.
The newer for Trucks and others are aluminum. I guess there must be a reliable way to paint them.

So to my actual question lol - any degradation from fuel on the tank innards? Or would one expect an AL tank to act primarily like a steel one - keep it full, keep it a lifetime, let moisture build up and possibly have some corrosion buildup?

The newer for Trucks and others are aluminum. I guess there must be a reliable way to paint them.
Tru dat. :thumbsup:
So to my actual question lol - any degradation from fuel on the tank innards? Or would one expect an AL tank to act primarily like a steel one - keep it full, keep it a lifetime, let moisture build up and possibly have some corrosion buildup?
Just a guess HW...the ally tank will out live the steel one by a long shot.
Moisture build-up...a non issue,ally doesn't rust,thats why is a popular boat hull choice material...even for salt water. :thumbsup:
Rubb.

I think there is only a problem when it is in bare to bare contact with steel.
Yoshi engineers/designers a pretty smart. The mix of steel/ally inside the tank has been taken out of the equation. The fuel and breather are welded to the rear/outside of the tank and just gravity feed an' external pump.(no steel inside)
Rubb.

Back