Minor problem...help?

06limited1st

Registered
So I put the busa on the stands the other day to tighten up the chain and tire and decided to start her up to clean the chain as it turns and noticed something..

It seemed as though the front sprocket was popping every couple of turns of the chain, so I expose the front sprocket to see if maybe there's some wear on there or if it warped somehow and it looks to me like it's pretty much brand new.. Run it with the front sprocket exposed and it looks like it's something behind the sprocket getting stuck every couple spins then gets loose and gets stuck again... Any ideas?? I had a suggestion of a bearing being bad behind the sprocket but Im not sure how those more complex mechanical parts work..

It's very dangerous to clean your chain that way.

Never... clean a chain with the engine running.

Your problem could be in your chain.

I this the above, sounds like the links are sticking on the chain. You could try to make where it's poping to see if it's the same links each time.

Take all precaution previously stated - don't want to lose any digits...

The chain has 5600 miles on it but is a couple years old too.. I HOPE it's just the chain sticking cause I dont want it to be anything serious so Ill probably just change the chain next season when I change the tire cause it doesn't look like there's much riding time left here in the midwest

The chain has 5600 miles on it but is a couple years old too.. I HOPE it's just the chain sticking cause I dont want it to be anything serious so Ill probably just change the chain next season when I change the tire cause it doesn't look like there's much riding time left here in the midwest

Sprockets are cheap. Do it all while you have it taken apart.

Ditto on cleaning a running chain.
Check this out:

Friend lost his thumb last night

And yea Ive seen that, wasn't touching it just spraying it down a little to maybe help it slide better.. Trust me I want to be able to do this:thumbsup: for a long time

Sprockets are cheap. Do it all while you have it taken apart.

Yea good idea. I just dont want the problem to be something different then I change the sprocket and chain when I need to fork out money somewhere else :banghead:

change all of it. New chain and sprockets. good time to upgrade your combo 17/42 or 17/43 with a zzz chain

could be a tight link in the chain? not sure if I understood the complaint... can you see the chain lift off the rear sprocket as it goes around?

(I clean my chain with the bike running and have done so for many years, just smart enough not to get fingers or cleaning stuff wrapped in chain)

can you see the chain lift off the rear sprocket as it goes around?

No it doesn't jump off the rear sprocket..

You need chain & sprockets...

Goldenchild I know you're the hookup for that, might wait til March to get them but what would a set run me? Thinking bout goin down 1 in the front, already +2 in the rear...

no it doesn't jump off the rear sprocket..

Goldenchild i know you're the hookup for that, might wait til march to get them but what would a set run me? Thinking bout goin down 1 in the front, already +2 in the rear...

pm sent

Fellow tech dude and experienced rider from my work lost his thumb and had to have it reattached because he tried to clean his chain while running in gear. He kept his fingers away as well but the rag he was holding got hung up and pulled his hand in. There is no reason to even try it. Simply rotate the wheel by hand.
Posted via Mobile Device

Back