Can't remove front sprocket

R4V3N

Registered
Hi All

I need a bit of help again!

background...the chain seem to be catching on something and so after a look noticed a screw had come loose and had been hitting on each rear sprocket nut/stud as it rotated. So i removed rear wheel tightened everything up and re-fitted wheel expecting the noise to stop!

BUT no it hasn't... so ive removed the front sprocket cover just to see if there is anything obvious loose like there was on the rear and nothing stands out. So i thought id remove the front sprocket and can't :banghead:

i can't seem to undo to cap head bolt in the spline thing to get to the nut behind without the chain spinning (i have used a spanner to "lock off" but still spins)

Any advise as to where im going wrong? and how to undo it? and has anyone else had this problem with the chain clicking/catching? am i barking up the wrong tree looking at the sprockets?

thanks in advance :please:

If it's a Gen 1 like mine, I had to take it to my local mechanic and he got it off with a rattle gun

Breaker bar as it's lock-tighted from the factory. I put a 2x4 in the rear wheel to stop it from spinning and was able to get sprocket off no problem.

Sounds like your on the right track to get that sprocket off. But have you checked the chain for tight spots? Just asking to maybe help with the original problem.

If you can afford it it's almost worth buying a cheap impact wrench just for the front sprocket. Last time I did my Katana, had to jump up and down on a breaker bar while someone was sitting on the rear, and even then it barely came off. Haven't had to replace the chain on the Busa just yet...

Electric Impact Wrench - 1/2"

I agree with tight spots / frozen links making the noise. I've never had an issue removing the front sprockets on my Gen I or II. As stated lock that rear wheel and use a pull bar and if necessary a cheater bar. I've heard mechanics argue about using the impact wrench because of the tranny. Best of luck.

Back