Millenials and motorcycles

In this day and age, safety is a big concern for a parent. In my day, and my kids, we didn’t worry about some crazy sob doing something to them.
I found myself having difficult conversations with my youngest son at a much younger age than i did with his older brother of 6 years. It almost felt wrong but due to changes in society & events taking place he needed to be aware of certain dangers sooner rather than later. Not fair but necessary.

I found myself having difficult conversations
with my youngest son at a much younger age
than I did with his older brother of 6 years .

It almost felt wrong but due to changes in society
& events taking place he needed to be aware of
certain dangers sooner rather than later .

Not fair but necessary .

I don't feel bad for HD they had the research & information about there demographic dwindling more than a decade ago. They were to proud to change. They downsized closed plants & dealerships. The costs of their bikes alone is a deterrent. Dealerships do act as if they are doing patrons a favor while the left hand is still rooting through their pockets for $. HD's big plan was to offer some bikes with options from their parts bin that they already had in matt black at a slightly lower price. This was actually a good idea but to little to late. They choose to run it all into the ground rather than attempt to change/connect with younger buyers. They cut the legs out from Eric Buell & sold everything to do with Buells including tools vehicals fired the workers & held the rights to his name even had legal action preventing him from producing any bikes for 3 years. They were afraid of competition mean while Buell was the best chance/thing they had going. Proud i like spiteful petty scarred & fearful not so much.

My brother is the president of a vintage motorcycle group and he would agree that older riders make up 90% of his group and every meet they go to he said you can actually count the younger riders and the meet consists of hundreds of riders. Insurance rates and lack of disposable income will kill off motorcycles.

He is also the president of his local sportsman club and he gets younger members but here in Canada, you have to be a member of a gun club to own a hand gun, the young people join, pay dues but have nothing to do with the club or it's activities.

Just the way things are and will be going.
Mostly older riders on a vintage motorcycle group is what you would expect, I would think. All depends on the bikes. Go on the concours forum and look at the pictures of the group rides and is like looking at a picture of a box of Q-tips. Now, go on a gsxr forum and there is bunch of you guys. By the way, We are not killing Harley (I’m 33), they simply commuted suicide. Did you see how much they want for their new models they are coming out with?

Mostly older riders on a vintage motorcycle group is what you would expect, I would think. All depends on the bikes. Go on the concours forum and look at the pictures of the group rides and is like looking at a picture of a box of Q-tips. Now, go on a gsxr forum and there is bunch of you guys. By the way, We are not killing Harley (I’m 33), they simply commuted suicide. Did you see how much they want for their new models they are coming out with?

His group does many cross-over meets and he is a guy who puts over 12,000miles on a bike in a short season...so he encounters many motorcyclists and has noted the demographic of riders has become older.

We can't lump all millennials into the same pot, I'd read on the average, motorcycle sales are plummeting for the reasons I stated earlier.

Is the end of motorcycling coming-I don't figure but the way companies are going to market and sell motorcycles will have to change if they are to survive.

I don't agree that HD shot themselves in the foot. HD has owned the streets of America for years. The people who buy HD's want the same, loud, low tech, slow, poor handling crap and they let HD know if they try to provide anything else. HD riders went crazy when there were Buells in the showrooms with their hogs. All the copy=cat manufacturers looking to get a piece of the HD action make matters worse. If HD changes they will lose their cash cow to Indian and now maybe even BMW. So they are damed if they change and damed if they don't. On top of that, there is no rising motorcycle market to change to. While HD is the poster child for declining motorcycle riding, it's hitting all makes and models.

It's a tough position to be in. I think HD's only choice is a new brand, with separate showrooms and everything. Motus is a good choice. If HD could add electronics to that bike and get it to mid-$20K it would be magic. But don't make it carry the curse of an HD spin-off. It's sort of like the Coke thing. They were losing share so someone came up with the idea to sell New Coke, which was a more Pepsi tasting version. It nearly tanked the company. So now they sell a bunch of drinks under completely different names. Most don't even know a Sprite is a Coke product.

Harleys are enormously popular over here in OZ , I am not up to speed on the numbers sold each year , but it would be healthy for small market . As for the younger up and coming , the powers that be are making it harder to obtain a license over here . I hope their are many still willing to jump through the hoops to get it done , to keep the faith !! I wish them all the very best , and hope I'll see them on the streets when they get it done .

I don't agree that HD shot themselves in the foot. HD has owned the streets of America for years. The people who buy HD's want the same, loud, low tech, slow, poor handling crap and they let HD know if they try to provide anything else. HD riders went crazy when there were Buells in the showrooms with their hogs. All the copy=cat manufacturers looking to get a piece of the HD action make matters worse. If HD changes they will lose their cash cow to Indian and now maybe even BMW. So they are damed if they change and damed if they don't. On top of that, there is no rising motorcycle market to change to. While HD is the poster child for declining motorcycle riding, it's hitting all makes and models.

It's a tough position to be in. I think HD's only choice is a new brand, with separate showrooms and everything. Motus is a good choice. If HD could add electronics to that bike and get it to mid-$20K it would be magic. But don't make it carry the curse of an HD spin-off. It's sort of like the Coke thing. They were losing share so someone came up with the idea to sell New Coke, which was a more Pepsi tasting version. It nearly tanked the company. So now they sell a bunch of drinks under completely different names. Most don't even know a Sprite is a Coke product.

LOL, the "Coke" thing. Spent most of my career there, so I have seen a thing or two and know a thing or two. Hard to believe folks do not know Sprite, Fanta, Powerade etc., don't come from the company. Just walk to a soda fountain in most places. Sprite has been around since 1959.

Marketing is a misterious art. Way back in a differrent country a glass bottle supplier made a printing error and put a red dot on the Sprite logo, instead of yellow. We made a deal for a great discount. The sales fell by 35% on Sprite, folks just said it does not taste the same.

Back to Harley Davidson, they still sell more bikes than anyone else, but agree they need to re-engineer their product. It seems as if they are planning though, from electric bicycles, to 250cc bikes for the mass Asian market where these are the biggest sellers.

His group does many cross-over meets and he is a guy who puts over 12,000miles on a bike in a short season...so he encounters many motorcyclists and has noted the demographic of riders has become older.

We can't lump all millennials into the same pot, I'd read on the average, motorcycle sales are plummeting for the reasons I stated earlier.

Is the end of motorcycling coming-I don't figure but the way companies are going to market and sell motorcycles will have to change if they are to survive.
Just like I stated earlier when talking about what you find in different forums, is the same thing depending which area you ride. There is a lot of young guys running around on sportbikes where I ride and the older guy on an adventure or touring bike is not as common, but I’m sure all countries have different demographics of riders.
@fallenarch is right about the kind of buyer that normally gets a Harley and what they like. I wouldn’t say they have “owned the streets” though, more like owned the parking lots of every bar around me. That’s not something I heard, but something I see around me daily, since the parking lot at work is full of Harley’s and for years I was the only one with a jap bike there, until a coworker bought a 2006 goldwing. They get together on weekends and just go get drunk and then ride home, but enough of that................... My problem with Harley has always been the thousands extra you have to pay for the name, when other cruisers can be had for much less. I still want a cruiser one day, but the chances of it being a Harley are not good. I guess millennials like me ARE, in fact, killing Harley by not wanting to empty our pockets for one. :laugh:

Harley is a marketing phenomenon. The market penetration of their brand is huge. Like Coke, Nike and a few others, they have true global recognition. When they tried to re-engineer and force consumers into newer technology with the V-Rod, it failed abysmally. They learned the lesson and haven't tried since, until now. We'll see how it goes I guess.

Back to Harley Davidson ,
they still sell more bikes
than anyone else ,
but agree they need
to re-engineer their product .

It seems as if they
are planning though ,
from electric bicycles ,

to 250cc bikes for the mass
Asian market where these
are the biggest sellers .

Harley is a marketing phenomenon. The market penetration of their brand is huge. Like Coke, Nike and a few others, they have true global recognition. When they tried to re-engineer and force consumers into newer technology with the V-Rod, it failed abysmally. They learned the lesson and haven't tried since, until now. We'll see how it goes I guess.
I was actually a big fan of the VRod Night Rod and almost ended up purchasing one sight unseen... until I saw it. I'm a pretty big guy 6'3 250 and when I saw it in person it looked like a miniature version of what I saw online. Not to say the bike isnt fast or fun to ride I just didnt feel comfortable on such a small platform. I still think it looks badass.... and.... Porsche motor.

I was actually a big fan of the VRod Night Rod and almost ended up purchasing one sight unseen... until I saw it. I'm a pretty big guy 6'3 250 and when I saw it in person it looked like a miniature version of what I saw online. Not to say the bike isnt fast or fun to ride I just didnt feel comfortable on such a small platform. I still think it looks badass.... and.... Porsche motor.
I agree, somewhat. For me the seating position was odd, and it was flat out slow. The "Destroyer" variant was an absolute joke. Flat slick and bar bike running 8's? Please......

This thread reminds me of what my dad used to talk about. He was born in 1943 in Oklahoma with no power or water until he was 18 (power only no water or sewer) and he always talked about how he was told his generation was the lazyiest generation ever. My dad worked 10 hours a day until he was 74 years old as a master machinist, and I would hardly call his generation lazy. This topic comes up everytime a new generation is aptly named, it wont stop with millennials which I am, and it will continue forever. Blaming younger generations for what you did or didnt do different doesn't change history, it's just placing blame on others.

This thread reminds me of what
my dad used to talk about .

He was born in 1943 in Oklahoma
with no power or water until he was 18
( power only no water or sewer )
and he always talked about how
he was told his generation was
the lazyiest generation ever .

My dad worked 10 hours a day
until he was 74 years old
as a master machinist ,
and I would hardly call
his generation lazy .

This topic comes up everytime
a new generation is aptly named ,
it wont stop with millennials which I am ,
and it will continue forever .

Blaming younger generations
for what you did or did not do
different does not change history ,
it is just placing blame on others .

This thread reminds me of what my dad used to talk about. He was born in 1943 in Oklahoma with no power or water until he was 18 (power only no water or sewer) and he always talked about how he was told his generation was the lazyiest generation ever. My dad worked 10 hours a day until he was 74 years old as a master machinist, and I would hardly call his generation lazy. This topic comes up everytime a new generation is aptly named, it wont stop with millennials which I am, and it will continue forever. Blaming younger generations for what you did or didnt do different doesn't change history, it's just placing blame on others.

Our generation didn't have the surge in tech such as the millennials had/have. With tech comes a different sort of mind set. This doesn't paint a broad brush stroke on all millennials-every generation was/is not perfect.

While serving 32 yrs in the Army, I noticed a drastic change in mentality near the end of my career-it seemed to me the younger soldiers wanted to be in the office and working 9-5, Monday to Friday and if you tried to make them work longer, they almost revolted. In our day, you did what you were told when you were told and never questioned why or how. All they do is question every little thing now. Sure am glad I retired. I find people are smarter now but not as intelligent about practical applications as we were.

One can't blame the millennials for not being as hands on as their predecessors though, tech has made the ability to be hands on limited.

Our generation didn't have the surge in tech such as the millennials had/have. With tech comes a different sort of mind set. This doesn't paint a broad brush stroke on all millennials-every generation was/is not perfect.

While serving 32 yrs in the Army, I noticed a drastic change in mentality near the end of my career-it seemed to me the younger soldiers wanted to be in the office and working 9-5, Monday to Friday and if you tried to make them work longer, they almost revolted. In our day, you did what you were told when you were told and never questioned why or how. All they do is question every little thing now. Sure am glad I retired. I find people are smarter now but not as intelligent about practical applications as we were.

One can't blame the millennials for not being as hands on as their predecessors though, tech has made the ability to be hands on limited.

Listen, good for you for doing your duty. I was simply saying I'm not going to be categorized with people my age for their capabilities. Are you not using the same technology as me?
I've busted my milineal ass for over a decade and just because you were born earlier doesnt make your generation THE authority. History repeats itself.

Listen, good for you for doing your duty. I was simply saying I'm not going to be categorized with people my age for their capabilities. Are you not using the same technology as me?
I've busted my milineal ass for over a decade and just because you were born earlier doesnt make your generation THE authority. History repeats itself.
How old are you I’m 34 and never consider myself a millennial.

How old are you I’m 34 and never consider myself a millennial.
New Guidelines Redefine Birth Years for Millennials, Gen-X, and 'Post-Millennials'
The Silent Generation: Born 1928-1945 (73-90 years old)
Baby Boomers: Born 1946-1964 (54-72 years old)
Generation X: Born 1965-1980 (38-53 years old)
Millennials: Born 1981-1996 (22-37 years old)

You are categorized with your fellow millennials, you are one. Perhaps you don't exhibit the same traits as all of them, but you're one of them, like it or not. Using technology is not the same as depending on it, something your generation (granted not all of you) absolutely is.
You've busted your ass for a decade? Listen, good for you. I've been busting my ass longer than you've had an ass to bust.

Back