MILEAGE ?

TAZEONE

Registered
what is goin on? my bike is brand new, the dealer looked at it and I'm filling up after 100 miles from a full tank?

the bike has been in 90% stop and go traffic here in L.A. but could that be it? I filled it up with 91 about a week and a half ago and today I had to fill it up again.

any help?

you have a 1300cc 550lbs bike, 90% stop & go, I think thats about right...... Are you being hard on the throttle, as if you were doing 1/4 miles at every stop?
smile.gif

This is based on my own personal experience so don't take it to seriously. My bike was screwed up when I first got it and my mileage was about the same you're getting. I have a 2000 which had a recall on the cam chain tensioner and when they did the work they put the chain back on but it was off by a tooth. Without know how the bike should feel compared to the way it has been since you bought it, it is hard to tell if something is wrong.
Just remember stop and go is about the worse thing for gas mileage but you should be getting better then that. Also how many miles are on your bike? Once it is broken in thing will loosen up a little and mileage will increase.
A few things to look for:
When rolling at highway speeds and you twist the throttle all the way is there a slight hesitation before the bike accelerates?
Does the bike feel jumpy when you are going slow and just try to slowly roll on the throttle? i.e.: (You just made a rolling stop, turned right and there is sand on the road. You just want to twist the throttle just enough speed up but not spin the tire. At this point does it seem to stumble a little and then gas a little harder then you wanted it to?)
The best way to find out if it is the cam chain is to put it on a Dyno. This is how I found out mine wasn't right.
Again, my bike was screwed up from the beginning so I can't tell you for sure if it is normal or not to get low mileage at first. There are plenty of guys here that will post here soon. But until then here is my dyno run before and after getting my bike fixed. Notice there is about a 35-40 hp loss.

I think HayabusaEPT is probably right but it is just something else to look at. Give it some time and try to get out in open roads and see what you get. My bike was getting bad mileage due to the camchain but I was also getting on and off the throttle a lot.

yeh, i'm not too hard on the throttle, I'm hitttin like 7,000 rpm and in the past 2 weeks, i have barely got into 3rd gear. It doesn't feel sluggish at all.

the bike has 1,400 miles now.
hasn't it been broken in by now?

Your running the wrong octane gas. Switch to 'Regular' 87. It has a better burn rate than the Premium grade.

Unless you are running a big-block Hayabusa, you are wasting money.
rock.gif

yeh, i'm not too hard on the throttle, I'm hitttin like 7,000 rpm and in the past 2 weeks, i have barely got into 3rd gear.  It doesn't feel sluggish at all.  

the bike has 1,400 miles now.
hasn't it been broken in by now?
If you are in 1st & 2nd gear 90% of the time, then there is your answer. Take it out of town, open it up a bit, and I guarantee you will see a difference.

If you want decent mileage, why buy the largest bore production sportbike made?

hahaha to the why buy the biggest bore production bike,
i'm not complaining, i'm just wondering why the mileage was so bad.

my GSXR 750 could get triple what this gets in bad traffic 1st 2nd gear rides.....

but if this is normal, then i'm cool.

and I thought if the bike is a USA model then I should stick with 91 not 87?

what is the final verdict with that?
I have a Yoshi Slip on pipe too.

and btw, I really appreciate the help.

Ive taken my 02 black/blue cross country from MD to CA. On highway cruising speeds anywhere from 75 to 85 mph. I averaged with the occassional speed burst, I was getting about 180 to 220 miles per tank on 87 octane fuel. On 93 octane I averaged about 180-190 to the tank. Funny thing I realized about the busa. It gets absolutely sh!@#y mileage with 89 octane for some reason. I could get an average of 160-170 miles to a tank. I currently run 87 octane on my bike and couldnt be happier.

Following mods to the bike for the trip

Yosh Duplex system
K&N air filter
PC3R
SPort Touring shield

I was about 311 lbs at 6'3 in height

I generally use 93 Octane fuel in my tank, I have monkeyed around here and there running a couple of tanks of 87 etc. Never really noticed much of a difference in milage or performance. I am still hesitant to feed it the cheap gas though. I figure pre-ignition is just to bloody damaging to risk. I dunno, never did notice any on the 87 but it does concern me. Depending on how and where I ride though I usually average between 26-38 mpg according to the on board computer.
To be honest though, I rarely even pay attention to gas milage, the Busa is my fun time, and I generally just put gas in it when it's empty and ride.

To be honest though, I rarely even pay attention to gas milage, the Busa is my fun time, and I generally just put gas in it when it's empty and ride.
fuggin ' ay REV .The voice of reason. Unless the shid's runnin down yer leg , who cares . That is to say , as long as you dont have a malfunction of some sort...who gives a flyin' fug.
A buddy said to me yesterday , "You see the price of gas lately, its nuts".

I said , "No I haven't, and I really don't care. The gas costs what it costs . They have it . I want it ."

It doesn't really matter how much fuel this thing uses.

Thats not why we ride .

Engine in one of my cars(the one wife drives..1 liter/1000cc's)

Engine in my bike 1.3 liter . 1300cc's .

O WELL .

ok, filled the tank with 87, is it in my head or did my bike actually react to this octane much better?
rock.gif
?
rock.gif
?
I mean my bike felt a little more responsive and enough for me to notice?

well thanks I guess
biggrin.gif

rock.gif

Is my odometer messed up?...I just went 195 miles on a tank of gas...my gauge was close to the bottom of the red and did not even get a light. I rode her hard with 87 octane.
wow.gif

Mileage is something i pay a bit of attention to probably just out of habit so ill offer my cent and a half worth. During break-in i got just under 100 mi per tank, or before the light came on and i really dont like pushing that light. I kept a running total on my 2nd trip meter and including break-in have averaged about 34 mpg. I almost always have used 87 because have been told by numerous people that's what the engine was designed for and the more expensive gas is not only a waste of money but will not perform as well. It's sort of weird but i'm always amazed when i fill up and go riding on the back roads, running at high rpm's fast to slow, redline everything, i'll get back and check my mileage and still get about 37-39. I then can use it to commute in town and get 33. I really think what has been said about the stop and go traffic eating gas is probably very accurate. I do believe if you get a chance to go out in the country and let loose you will find you can go much farther per tank. Oh, also i have had little time this winter to go on long trips however did use a tank all at freeway speeds once and got 45mpg.

Back