100 Octane

Im in the process of tuning my bike, for a race map with VP-113. I all ready have one map for race mode with my powecommander hub!

VP

VP is a great fuel (we run their nitromethane)

My only point was if a motor will run with full timing and at temperature with a 87 or 92 pump gas, racing fuels are just a waste of money. (well they do smell great and some are happy to pay for that)
smile.gif

(ibified @ Sep. 12 2007,09:41) As for running higher octane, it's been proven multiple times that running higher octane in an engine that doesnt need it will not raise your power OR your fuel mileage.  if you get better fuel mileage on higher octane, then you need a tune-up.
My bad!  When I posted originally I had just ridden a few miles and saw the mileage at 43.  It now shows at around 38 in the city.  I am almost done with this tankfull, and will then fill with 87 Octane (for the first time) and see if there is any difference.

Holy crap!  What a difference. I just filled up with 87 Octane today.  Runs way smoother and stronger.  I dont want to get off the bike now.  

I installed Scorpion slip-ons last week and was disappointed with it cause it didnt feel right.  I didnt know whether to attribute it to the exhaust or the 100 Octane.  After I filled up with 87 Octane I just love the slip-ons.  I dunno whether its psychological, but it sounds so much better and feels stronger now.      

Thanks for all the info guys  
bowdown.gif

(bogusLogon @ Sep. 13 2007,05:47) VP is a great fuel (we run their nitromethane)  

My only point was if a motor will run with full timing and at temperature with a 87 or 92 pump gas, racing fuels are just a waste of money. (well they do smell great and some are happy to pay for that)
smile.gif
Damn bro! You're a wealth of knowledge!
I have my Viper at a dyno shop as we speak, that they are doing the finishing touches on.
I forged the motor, bolted the S/C on it making 12#'s of boost, and added a water/meth kit from Snow.
Dumb ass AZ only has 91 octane available, and I was wondering where I will end up with the water/meth kit for an octane rating. Snow sent me the largest nozzle, but I don't remember the size, but I did tell them the car should end up making 900 RWHP.
Snow told me a 50/50 mix should put me at 110, but the dyno shop said I'd be lucky if I got to 99 octane.
Any ideas, or is it just a crap shoot with A/F ratios, tuning, etc?

Ok, I am a little confused now. People have posted saying that 87 is the optimum Octane rating for the Busa.

I tested 100 Octane, it didnt run as well, but the gas mileage was at around 38 mpg.

I used to use 91 Octane, the Gas mileage was also at 38 mpg.

I recently used 87 Octane, the bike runs like a champ, but the gas mileage is at 33 mpg. I assumed if 87 Octane is optimum, then the busa would have the best gas mileage at 87 Octane.

Now I am not really concerned with the gas mileage as long as it runs great, but I was just curious as to why it has a lower gas mileage now. Is it because - the higher the Octane rating, the slower it burns (more resistance to burn)?

I may also be off on the gas mileage reading, maybe I need to test it on highway riding.

A few of the above posts reference "Speed of burn" and octane has nothing to do with this. Flame fronts travel at the same speed no mater which octane you run.

Fuel mileage "could" suffer with fuel that has more octane than you can efficiently light off but for the most part, ambient temperature, humidity, idle time, average manifold vacuum are all going to have more bearing on mileage. In theory, the fuels have the same amount of energy stored sans oxidizing agent (nitrous, propylene oxide etc) that could "energize" the burn by adding more O2.

Accurate comparison is pretty hard to do, back to back runs at the same temp, humidity, etc would all need to be addressed. Ignore the MPG diff..

You will also find the more your ride your bike and get used to it, the bike will feel slower and get worse gas mileage as well.... (strange phenomena I do not have a name for but happens to everyone
smile.gif
)

(skotty @ Sep. 17 2007,07:44) Ok, I am a little confused now.  People have posted saying that 87 is the optimum Octane rating for the Busa.

I tested 100 Octane, it didnt run as well, but the gas mileage was at around 38 mpg.  

I used to use 91 Octane, the Gas mileage was also at 38 mpg.  

I recently used 87 Octane, the bike runs like a champ, but the gas mileage is at 33 mpg.  I assumed if 87 Octane is optimum, then the busa would have the best gas mileage at 87 Octane.

Now I am not really concerned with the gas mileage as long as it runs great, but I was just curious as to why it has a lower gas mileage now.  Is it because - the higher the Octane rating, the slower it burns (more resistance to burn)?

I may also be off on the gas mileage reading, maybe I need to test it on highway riding.
You may have just been throttle happy with the new found power.

IMO - The only way to really seek your answer to mileage is to fill her up and ride her around the loop at a consistant 60 mph. Forget the stop and go traffic or twistie riding becasue no 2 rides will ever be the same. Just my .02. I like to keep things simple.

(SnapAttack @ Sep. 17 2007,14:38) You may have just been throttle happy with the new found power.
That would be the phenomena that everyone goes through, every racer can tell you his ride gets slower every session and needs more power
smile.gif

(skotty @ Sep. 17 2007,12:44)  People have posted saying that 87 is the optimum Octane rating for the Busa.
Yep , seen those posts as well .

The USA owners manual states 87 is the " minimum " octane recomended to be used .

What the manual does not say and as example ;

The ambients temp is 98F and when leaving a stop you hear engine ping OR ambient temp is high and the owner gives it full throttle in 2nd gear from 2500rpm and he hears the engine snap " ping " @ 4k when the ECM gives more ignition timing , the owner really needs to up the octane to eliminate it .

That ping is very hard on the piston rings along with the ring lands on the piston , rod bearings ect .

So see , pump gas and octane can be a tool for a job at hand much like I see engine oils as being . If the engine stops the audible snap with 91 then thats the proper tool for hot summer weather whereas 87 might be enough same bike and local in cooler autumn months .

Some cars same thing . The 5spd Miata the wife and I had for many years -- during summer with the A/C on the little guy needed 91 octane or it would snap leaving a stop sign . Winter months A-OK with 87 .

Back