Michelin 2CT RECALL!

Vic,
I called my local dealer in MA and told them about the recall and they said "How's Wednesday, Drop off or wait"

I said wait. I guss I'll do some windows shopping. Wonder if I test ride anything?

I called my locals and they all aware of the problem. but every tire they had in stock is on recall list.

This really blows. I just put a 2CT on the back of my bike and was planning to put one on the front this weekend. Now I don't know if they will even have any.

I have to replace it. Would it screw up my handling if I put an M3 or something on front with the Pilot Power on the rear?

-Chris

(IScream @ Jun. 19 2007,06:56) This really blows.  I just put a 2CT on the back of my bike and was planning to put one on the front this weekend.  Now I don't know if they will even have any.  

I have to replace it.  Would it screw up my handling if I put an M3 or something on front with the Pilot Power on the rear?  

-Chris
Probably not as long as you just cruise. But I don't like mixing tires and avoid doing so. I threw away quite a few fronts that were good enough, but since I needed a rear, I put on a new matched pair.

ya know what I just thought? France bashing, and tire wars aside, although Michelin is not my personal pick for rubber, I gotta salute the company for launching a global recall that was not discovered by multiple reports of failure - the other post said no loss of air or accidents have been reported... they must have found the fault and are man enough to do the right thing. That's pretty respectable for a large corporation

apart from this bad news ,

how 2CT performs when you compare with the stock , better grip in cold ?

(Guclu @ Jun. 19 2007,12:52) apart from this bad news ,

how 2CT performs when you compare with the stock , better grip in cold ?
My experience with the 2ct is that it is THE most cold blooded tire I've owned. During the initial scrub-in I thought for sure I had a rear tire going flat in T2 at Infineon  
SHOCKED.gif

Once they're hot you get excellent drive out of the corner as your on the soft compound edge of the tire. All in all I hold my Pirelli Diablo III's head and shoulders above the PP's.

wait... so you've had the Diab IIIs on the Track and Street? and compared to the PPs? hows bout a little review? I plan to go Diablo III next. Pirellis are my personal choice also, and I do track days as well as street riding

(WWJD @ Jun. 19 2007,14:55) wait... so you've had the Diab IIIs on the Track and Street?  and compared to the PPs?  hows bout a little review?  I plan to go Diablo III next.  Pirellis are my personal choice also, and I do track days as well as street riding
The Pirelli's offer far more stickiness, feedback and predictability. The cross-section is more linear (no center "hump" like the Michelin) which provides much quicker turn-in and higher cornering speeds. They also wear 2x as fast as the PP's and cost 20% more  
crazy.gif

IMHO: Great track/twisty tire, poor commuter tire.

For me The Pilot Powers are the best ever! Very sticky and predictable and the milage is awesome! At least 5K on a rear and about 8K+ on a front. I went ahead and changed the front when I swapped the rear recently even though it had plenty left in it. I had reg Diablo's a couple years ago, The shape and design of the Diablo's was cool, very high center and tipped in real easy, however after only 1000 miles the performance dropped off dramatically and at only 1800 miles they were done! No track days for me but for my style of street / hwy riding I w ont own another set of Diablo's.
argue.gif

Toe-may-toe / Toe-MAH-toe ....

(Kento-Moto @ Jun. 20 2007,21:28) For me The Pilot Powers are the best ever!  Very sticky and predictable and the milage is awesome! At least 5K on a rear and about 8K+ on a front. I went ahead and changed the front when I swapped the rear recently even though it had plenty left in it.   I had reg Diablo's a couple years ago, The shape and design of the Diablo's was cool, very high center and tipped in real easy, however after only 1000 miles the performance dropped off dramatically and at only 1800 miles they were done! No track days for me but for my style of street / hwy riding I w  ont own another set of Diablo's.    
argue.gif

Toe-may-toe   /   Toe-MAH-toe ....
Yeah but what the h*** do you know? Your only on your third Busa and this one has 20,000 miles on it in 3 years. Newb.
tounge.gif

hmmmm...I read the worldwide press release for the Pilot Power and Power 2CT recall. I wonder if the Power Race are affected at all?

My local shop says Parts unlimited are stickin their head in the sand on this one and Michelin has been draggin their feet too. !st Mich said they would have an answer for the shop by weds, now they say monday the 25th.
guns.gif

Been getting the ol run around. Dealer to get back with me a week ago. Called today, this bobo in parts wants to talk shid because they didn't sell me the tire and didn't install it. He was pretty plain that I would be waiting a while. I've never had a good conversation with this bobo. He stated 5K units on back order and that dealers handling hundreds of recalls were first in line and that his customers would be first in line when he got the replacements in. I don't like being nasty, but I might just have to talk to the owner the next time I'm over that way and see what she says about all this. Mean time I'm just racking up miles on the one I have. I'm noticing some shimmy on high speed curves. Is this a PP 2CT trait
rock.gif

(IScream @ Jun. 19 2007,08:56) This really blows. I just put a 2CT on the back of my bike and was planning to put one on the front this weekend. Now I don't know if they will even have any.

I have to replace it. Would it screw up my handling if I put an M3 or something on front with the Pilot Power on the rear?

-Chris
As a rule I don't mix, but under the circumstances you probably should- you just want to get a tire as close to the same compound as possible. From what others who have had both have said a Qualifier is a tossup for a Power in cornering grip, you might get one for the front and try it. They aren't as much $ as the Power, and many like them better for track use...
smile.gif

You might wind up with TWO Quals on the bike...

Just called Michelin, and they said they couldn't tell me anything because the two wheel guys had just gone home. Oh well ........................

(dadofthree @ Jul. 06 2007,17:18) I was told something about them replacing my 2CT with a PP instead. WTF  
argue.gif
Dang Dad... that sucks. I was thinking about going with the 2ct's now I don't know what to do. I'm running PP's right now and love them.
sad.gif

Back