Metzeler Sportec M7rr - anyone?

ottafish

Registered
Just wondering if anyone has tried the Metzeler Sportec M7rr tyre?

I'm about due to swap out my rear and thinking of giving them ago over the Mitch road 6 for the rear.

The Metz have good reviews from a quick scan

They look sporty and I’d use them if the price is right. The last several years I’ve been using Dunlops but good technique has gotten me a lot farther than any tire.

While I agree with this about technique, and that we can all argue tires like oil, I have personally found that certain tires are much more forgiving than others, in terms of psi changes.
That several brands need to be within a certain psi window for one type of riding, but handle poorly elsewhere, vs one tire that doesn't upset the bike regardless of psi and riding type. Sure, you can feel over or under inflated, and adjustments are made for conditions, but they do not become squirrely or unpredictable.
I've had friends very close in weight drag knees and shred it on Shinkos. We'd swap bikes and I'de find their handling awful(but they were Shinkos, lol).
I've also ridden multiple high end tires on the same bikes and experienced the same effect. That x brand only handled well at this psi, get out of the curves and up to 80mph straights and the bike wanders. Switch to another tire, same conditions, and the tires don't care, they handle well and inspire confidence no matter what you throw at them.
I have experienced this alot from riding wheelies for literally miles at 35mph to 120mph+
Most tires can't do that speed range at a normal street hot psi range in the mid 30's. They are good either at low or high speed, and wobble badly at the other.
Dunlop Sportmax and Roadsmarts never did that to Me(just me), and again, over several bikes and many tires and tire brands.
I can ride that speed range at the same psi and the tires do not upset the handling.
They Always handle great, and fine tune(psi)even better.
I also could care less about mileage, I want grip.
Again, tires are like oil, take your pick, and skill can ride them all, but I do belive that some are superior to others, and many people don't belive that, based simply on not haven ridden enough of them on correctly set suspension, and varying conditions.
And that is also just a general statement, not a personal dig at anyone or their experience or abilities.

Dunlops :poke:
lol

While I agree with this about technique, and that we can all argue tires like oil, I have personally found that certain tires are much more forgiving than others, in terms of psi changes.
That several brands need to be within a certain psi window for one type of riding, but handle poorly elsewhere, vs one tire that doesn't upset the bike regardless of psi and riding type. Sure, you can feel over or under inflated, and adjustments are made for conditions, but they do not become squirrely or unpredictable.
I've had friends very close in weight drag knees and shred it on Shinkos. We'd swap bikes and I'de find their handling awful(but they were Shinkos, lol).
I've also ridden multiple high end tires on the same bikes and experienced the same effect. That x brand only handled well at this psi, get out of the curves and up to 80mph straights and the bike wanders. Switch to another tire, same conditions, and the tires don't care, they handle well and inspire confidence no matter what you throw at them.
I have experienced this alot from riding wheelies for literally miles at 35mph to 120mph+
Most tires can't do that speed range at a normal street hot psi range in the mid 30's. They are good either at low or high speed, and wobble badly at the other.
Dunlop Sportmax and Roadsmarts never did that to Me(just me), and again, over several bikes and many tires and tire brands.
They Always handle great, and fine tune(psi)even better.
Again, tires are like oil, take your pick, and skill can ride them all, but I do belive that some are superior to others, and many people don't belive that based simply on not haven ridden enough of them on correctly set suspension and varying conditions.
And that is also just a general statement, not a personal dig at anyone or their experience or abilities.

Dunlops :poke:
lol
Ah yes.........the tire thread........

If we take a look at what manufacturers put on their bikes from the factory knowing full well the capability of that particular bike and take into account most people say those tires suck and then change them out for another brand, that is what drives the tire industry.

Then we look at the side fairing of our favorite race bike and see what they are running.....

Suzuki put Bridgestones on their flagship high speed bike and most likely ran through more than a few sets of these tires while testing.

I raced a couple seasons on Bridgestones and gained a couple podium finishes....

However, I run Michelins on my Hayabusa and they are awesome, the handle well and have good traction. Would I go back to a Bridgestone-yes I would without a second thought-would others? probably not.

Even the manufacturers use several different tire brands..
It seems Bridgestone RS10s are popular as well as the Pirelli tires

BMW S1000RR uses Dunlop SportSmart TT
GSXR 1000R uses Bridgestone RS10
Honda CBR1000RR uses Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa SP
Yamaha R1/R1M uses Bridgestone RS10
Kawasaki H2 uses Bridgestone RS10
Ducati Panigale uses Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa SP
Aprilia RSV4 uses Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa SP

Bruh of all people you guys should know that I definitely believe you get what you pay for. :laugh:

Ottafish asked if anyone tried the Metzler before. It seems like they are worth trying to me. Especially if they are a good price and a good fit for how you or the person buying them rides.

Because I ride so few miles overall I am very specific on what tire I will ride. If I rode a lot of miles I’d be happy to use any of the big tire brands.

I put M7RRs on my '09 'Busa (the ex-Rubb machine) and liked them fine. Honestly though, as long as the tires are round, keep me upright and don't decimate my savings account, I'm happy. I don't do trackdays, I don't ride hard on the street, I don't drag race or do burnouts...

I had Metzelers on my first 'Busa (2001) although I can't recall what model they were... and I have new M9RRs on my current 2005 that I installed last summer. Again, I like the M9RRs because they're round and have so far kept me from crashing while riding around like a grandfather.

The only tires that I can say that I don't like are any of the Michelin Pilot Road series which tend to scallop badly even with fairly low mileage on them. I have Road 5s on my '08 'Busa that were installed by the previous owner just last year and maybe have 4000kms on them, but the rear is already so heavily scalloped that it feels like a wheel bearing going out (bearings are fine, I checked. ;)). They're a nice grippy all-weather tire but their longevity is terrible.

I put M7RRs on my '09 'Busa (the ex-Rubb machine) and liked them fine. Honestly though, as long as the tires are round, keep me upright and don't decimate my savings account, I'm happy. I don't do trackdays, I don't ride hard on the street, I don't drag race or do burnouts...

I had Metzelers on my first 'Busa (2001) although I can't recall what model they were... and I have new M9RRs on my current 2005 that I installed last summer. Again, I like the M9RRs because they're round and have so far kept me from crashing while riding around like a grandfather.

The only tires that I can say that I don't like are any of the Michelin Pilot Road series which tend to scallop badly even with fairly low mileage on them. I have Road 5s on my '08 'Busa that were installed by the previous owner just last year and maybe have 4000kms on them, but the rear is already so heavily scalloped that it feels like a wheel bearing going out (bearings are fine, I checked. ;)). They're a nice grippy all-weather tire but their longevity is terrible.

How many PRs have you used? After the OEM Bridgestone and a Pilot Power I’ve used one PR3 on the front and in the rest of almost all of my 75,000 miles I’ve used PR2s, none of which ever scalloped or wore unevenly in any way. That’s a lot of PR2s front and rear. Balance and/or misalignment sounds more likely for a scalloped tire.

I'd be interested in a shift from "sport" to "sport touring."

My Sixpack imitation...

eday2carl5.jpg

How many PRs have you used? After the OEM Bridgestone and a Pilot Power I’ve used one PR3 on the front and in the rest of almost all of my 75,000 miles I’ve used PR2s, none of which ever scalloped or wore unevenly in any way. That’s a lot of PR2s front and rear. Balance and/or misalignment sounds more likely for a scalloped tire.
Only two sets on my own bikes, but over the years as a bike tech, I've honestly seen hundreds of affected sets. Not sure if folks are running them under-inflated or what, but the Michelin Roads are the only make/model of tire that has really stood out in that time.

I'd be interested in a shift from "sport" to "sport touring."

My Sixpack imitation...

View attachment 1662998

Try a sport front and a sport touring rear.
With Busa weight and torque, that combo will wear both tires evenly, not the typical two rears to one front with sport front and rear.
You also get more grip on the front with a sport vs a sport touring tire.
But, nothing wrong with sport touring front and rear for highway cruising.
And yes, Dunlop Roadsmarts, of course, lol

Yes, whilst it was 'another tyre thread' it was a basic and simple question - Has anyone tried the Met M7rr's. No more, no less. I wasn't looking for a comparison to any other brands, just some basic feedback of personal experience.
Thanks all - reckon I'll give them a go and a change from the Mich Road series
Be sure to report what you think of them, I wag looking at them on my last tire swap but went a different route.

Try a sport front and a sport touring rear.
With Busa weight and torque, that combo will wear both tires evenly, not the typical two rears to one front with sport front and rear.
You also get more grip on the front with a sport vs a sport touring tire.
But, nothing wrong with sport touring front and rear for highway cruising.
And yes, Dunlop Roadsmarts, of course, lol
So I've read many many posts of you saying to do this my only problem is that when I tried to buy the roadsmart 2 they were not available at all so I went with the roadsmart 3 and did not like the shape of the tire at all. One of the things I love about the q3 is the oval shape and how easy the tip in is and the rs3 was pretty flat from the beginning and had added tread pattern that made it wasn't to cup a little. I did find some comparisons on the rs2 versus the rs3 and it seems they did change the profile so of I can a rs2 this year when I go to change I might give it another go. I can say I've steered a few customers towards the dunlop roadsport 2 tires which are like a sport touring and fall in between a gpr300 and a q3+ and everyone has really liked them especially at the cost I just haven't tried them in the heavy busa yet. Sorry for getting off track from your question @ottafish

Just wondering if anyone has tried the Metzeler Sportec M7rr tyre?

I'm about due to swap out my rear and thinking of giving them ago over the Mitch road 6 for the rear.

The Metz have good reviews from a quick scan
Though I don't have personal experience but their reviews are quite impressive.

Back