Tires

CrimsonBusa

Registered
Looks like I'm going to get arount 3000 to 3500 miles on the stock rear tire. No burn outs. I ran it at 36 psi. Does this sound typical as far as mileage goes? Thinking about Metzler Sportec M1's next. What does the "P" indicate in the Metzler Sportec M1 "P" . Is it similiar to the HPX in the Michelin line? If anyone has used both the Metzlers and the Pirelli Diablos which did you prefer? Thanks

I think the P means hayabusa tire. But the difference, I have no idea....

That mileage is about what I get, of course I put the power down coming out of corners. If you ride it like a cruiser you can get up to 11,000 miles on tire, but where's the fun in that.

I think I got up around 5K out of my stock 56's. I was pleased with them, they are a great high speed tire and do a good job on the corners. However, I have gone through three sets of BT014's now and just about to get the fourth set. I dearly love those things. I buy them from my suzuki dealer and I get them mounted and out the door for $250 plus sales tax. They handle great and stick like glue. They also warm up quickly and are not nearly as slippery as the Dunlops when cold. You may want to take a look at the BT014's?

The metzeler M1s and Pirelli Diablos are the same compound. Supposedly the M1 has 1mm more tread, so should last a tad longer. I used em, and liked them. Never rode the pirellis.

I ran the corsa's last time, wanted the Mich Powers but they were back ordered so I went with M1's and love them. Compound seems the same as the corsa's, soft and sticky. The diablo's seemed a little quicker, more flickable but I like the feel and look of the M1's better. After hearing mixed reviews on the Powers, I'm staying with the M1's. Oh, by the way, I don't have the "p", regular M1's are fine. If you get the M1's, the front tire will make a "whirring" noise, just the way it is....

The metzeler M1s and Pirelli Diablos are the same compound.  Supposedly the M1 has 1mm more tread, so should last a tad longer.  I used em, and liked them.  Never rode the pirellis.
I heard the opposite, the pirelli has 1mm deeper tread in the rear only. I guess I could measure them both, lol. And the compounds are the same.

Your riding style will reflect the miles. I have used M1's before(2 rears and 1 front). The 1st rear I got over 2k miles and the second lasted 770 miles. Keep in mind I live in the Mountains of Western NC and on the second M1, there were over 400 miles at Deals Gap and the surrounding roads.

I see M1 in this area on Busa's with 5k on them but they are not ridden agressive.

Kevin
info@mrcycles.com

IronBrad!
I have been changing my BT014's at around 5K miles. I could run them another thousand miles but I like good rubber under me. I ride them pretty agressively doing tons of wheelies. I usually run them until they reach the wear bars and then do few burnouts just before I replace them. I have been very happy with the 14's. They handle well and you couldn't ask for a street tire with more grip. I spend a lot of time on the back tire and their nice round profile makes them work well for wheelies. If you are a wheelie guy, tires with agressive race profiles such as the michelin Pilot Powers etc. are a poor choice. I really haven't heard of anyone who tried the 14's that was not happy with them?

I ran the corsa's last time, wanted the Mich Powers but they were back ordered so I went with M1's and love them. Compound seems the same as the corsa's, soft and sticky. The diablo's seemed a little quicker, more flickable but I like the feel and look of the M1's better. After hearing mixed reviews on the Powers, I'm staying with the M1's. Oh, by the way, I don't have the "p", regular M1's are fine. If you get the M1's, the front tire will make a "whirring" noise, just the way it is....
Agreed, I didn't have the P spec either. Never heard a whirring noise though.

I think the "P" spec is for extra plys in the tire for the higher speeds our bikes can do. Mainly so they hold together when you sustain top speed.

This the reply I got from a bike shop when I was looking for a tire: "According to my info the "P" spec tire is specific to the Hayabusa. Since the 'Busa is fast, heavy and also frequently used for two up riding or touring, Suzuki requested a tire with a heavier load capacity and better heat dissipation."

Don't know if this is the actual truth, but it sounds resonable to me!! Just my $.02
cool.gif

I got about 6,ooo out of my factory set but after about 3,000 miles I started getting comfortable with the Busa and really tearing it up speed wise and coming out of corners. I never do burn outs on it at all. When I replaced mine I bought the New Michelin Pilot Power tires. If you guys haven't tried these yet I HIGHLY recommend them. They look badass and my bike will handle like a monster in the turns now. I got them really cheap on kneedraggers.com. Only 135 for the rear. Check em out man.

Michelin!

Made in France
idea.gif

All Loyal Americans should boycot anything made in FRANCE!
idea3.gif

the best tire for sticking to the road is a michelin pilot sport unquestionably, but you have to keep replacing them if you ride really hard, and if you ride really hard your going to wear out any tire, so you might as well get the tire that sticks to the ground the best which happens to be the pilot sport

Sheesh....not another don't buy michelins cuz they are french reply! Thats alright call me a bad american cuz I will buy a TOTALLY bad AS! French Tire. I'll see ya in the twisties! lol

Hey I got a brilliant Idea to......since we are boycoting french tires cuz they hate the U.S. why not boycot Gas to cuz the Saudis and Iraqi's can't stand us either! We'll show them all!!!

tire that sticks to the ground the best which happens to be the pilot sport
i beg to differ. Durning a recent study the pirelli beat out the michelins in a road test. So if you want teh best go with teh pirelli. They are also cheaper than teh Michellins

I think I got up around 5K out of my stock 56's. I was pleased with them, they are a great high speed tire and do a good job on the corners. However, I have gone through three sets of BT014's now and just about to get the fourth set. I dearly love those things. I buy them from my suzuki dealer and I get them mounted and out the door for $250 plus sales tax. They handle great and stick like glue. They also warm up quickly and are not nearly as slippery as the Dunlops when cold. You may want to take a look at the BT014's?
that is a hell of a deal. dealer here want 300 plus tax and mounting. so like 450 total. they are crazy

so i order mine from chapparal motorsports for 237 shipped.
u can find them in the back of about any moto mag.

GREAT TIRE BT 014

oil_change_007.jpg

The tires I run don't get a lot of airplay, but I am on my second set and I won'r buy anything else. I LOVE the Continental Conti Force Max tires. For $103 from www.parts411.com you can't beat the price or performance from these tires. Very sticky and hard. Reliable and I go through tires. the last one I put on this season was a couple fo weeks ago and this is my fifth rear tire. My first was the stock bt 56, then I bought a Bt 010, Then I bought a Pirelli Diablo, then a continental then i am on my second one now. I will no longer pay big money for thses tires when my continental grips on the street, just as good as she does at the track. AND no I don't work for continental or parts 411. Just experience, my friends, experience.
cool.gif

the best tire for sticking to the road is a michelin pilot sport unquestionably, but you have to keep replacing them if you ride really hard, and if you ride really hard your going to wear out any tire, so you might as well get the tire that sticks to the ground the best which happens to be the pilot sport
Dude, the Pilot Sport isn't even the stickiest tire that MICHELIN makes.
newbie.gif

Back