may be wrong

dolilind

Registered
I might have lost my mind but i remember the preload on the front having clicks to it. im at 3 rings from the top and was tryn to soften the spring rate one click but there is no click now. am i wrong? or do i go by ring height?

Measure the preload by turns, not clicks. The compression and rebound have clicks. The preload sets the sag. That should be in the middle of the travel. softening that will increase the likely hood of bottoming out the forks when you hit a bump.

Changing the preload does not change the spring rate, it changes the ride height. It does not have any clicks and is set at the factory at 5 lines. You need to add preload if you weigh more tha 165# and remove preload if you weigh less.

If your ride is too harsh, you can soften it a bit by softening the compression dampening. Its the screw at the bottom rear of the forks. Turn both sides equally counterclockwise to soften. I'd soften them 1 click at a time and test ride until they feel too soft and then go in a click.

Factory setting is 9 clicks out.  Turn them clockwise all the way to the stop.  Be careful, do not apply force once they reach the stop you can damage them.  Then counter clockwise 9 clicks to the factory setting. The "soft" setting in the manual is 11 clicks out.

So I might have to add a bit of preload from stock since I weigh 210
sadnews.gif
ahem gotta go check in the garage where the settings are at. Just got it yesterday.

Changing the preload does not change the spring rate, it changes the ride height.
Technically, you don't use the springs or the preload to change ride height.  You lower or raise the fork tubes.  But since you can't do this with a Busa, you're left with using the springs and preload to adjust the front's ride height.

Springs are determined by rider weight and the surface your riding on.  You are correct that preload doesn't affect the spring rate.

Preload is used to set your sag, which is also determined by rider weight on the surface your riding on.  The goal of sag is to have your suspension work in the middle of its range.  Too little preload, the bike sags too much and the suspenion works at the bottom of its range.  Too much preload, the bike doesn't sag enough, the suspension works at the top of its range.

winkold.gif
beerchug.gif

Changing the preload does not change the spring rate, it changes the ride height.  It does not have any clicks and is set at the factory at 5 lines.  You need to add preload if you weigh more tha 165# and remove preload if you weigh less.

If your ride is too harsh, you can soften it a bit by softening the compression dampening.  Its the screw at the bottom rear of the forks.  Turn both sides equally counterclockwise to soften.  I'd soften them 1 click at a time and test ride until they feel too soft and then go in a click.
How right you are.

If I had a nickel for everytime I heard someone say "I cranked down the preload and stiffened up the suspension." Well, I'd have alot of nickels.

cheers
ken

Well with all the rain today, looks like im out in the garage all day. I do need to soften the front end up.
The bike was SLAMMED a few years ago. Around here all the roads are almost flat anyway so i slammed the crap out of it, cranked the dampers up and turned the preloads up to keep from bottoming out so bad. What i did was effective but now ive raised it back up and took the extentions back off, and forgot how the stock suspension was set-up. But for some reason i thought when turning down the preloads there was a click to it.

Thanks for all the help.
Back to the shop.

So I might have to add a bit of preload from stock since I weigh 210  
sadnews.gif
ahem gotta go check in the garage where the settings are at. Just got it yesterday.
I set my suspension up and followed the "ideal" settings of:
front preload 3 lines
rebound out 2 clicks
comp out 2 clicks

rear preload havnt messed with it since I dont have the tools
comp out 5 clicks
rebound out 7 clicks

I also weight around 210 and this seems to be pretty good.

Dear Friends

I hope someone will be at the Bash to help me with my suspension settings. I weigh 265 pounds and have been using the stock settings. When the bike was new the suspension felt right, but now it feels a little mushy and little bumps seem to have too much impact.

Can anyone tell me how to set my preload, for a moron.

I weigh 170 lbs-180 with gear.
I have it lowered 1" in front, 2 in rear.
I don't ride 2 up, ever

I don't want to read jinksters thread (although it's great) because I don't need a masters degree in suspension, I just want someone to say: "Hey, you know the little bolt on the top of the forks turn it counterclockwise to zero it out, and then turn it clockwise 11 clicks."

Can anyone help me.

Can anyone tell me how to set my preload, for a moron.

I weigh 170 lbs-180 with gear.
I have it lowered 1" in front, 2 in rear.
I don't ride 2 up, ever

I don't want to read jinksters thread (although it's great) because I don't need a masters degree in suspension, I just want someone to say: "Hey, you know the little bolt on the top of the forks turn it counterclockwise to zero it out, and then turn it clockwise 11 clicks."

Can anyone help me.
The problem is no 2 people weigh the same, no 2 bikes weigh the same and no 2 springs have the exact same spring rate.

The best option is to have someone measure your sag while you are fully geared up and in a tuck on the bike.  But that does take 3 people, or 2 people and a front wheel chock.

But, finding someone who weighs close to you and who's bike weighs similar to yours with the same springs will be close.

Sag is also set by rider preference.  There is a range it can be set at that depends on the rider's style.

Sag is also set by the speed and the surface of the road your turning on.

There is no one sag number, so play with it.  Experiment.  You can always set it back to where you are now. Put a zip tie on your front fork and see how low it gets pushed. The purpose of setting sag is to make the suspension work in the middle of its range.

I weigh close to you, but unfortunately I have aftermarket suspension peices, I ride at a very fast pace at the track, and my bike has a raising link in the rear.

Back