Matt Hughes vs. Anderson Silva

Matt Hughes vs. Anderson Silva - Who 'ya got?

• Matt Hughes

Votes: 20 100.0%
  • Anderson Silva

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

NightCrawler

Love all. Trust a few. Do wrong to none.
Donating Member
Registered
I just read this on Wikipedia:
Following an upset championship win by Matt Serra over Georges St. Pierre at UFC 69, it was announced by UFC President Dana White that Hughes will again be fighting for the Welterweight title in November of 2007 against Matt Serra. This fight has since been changed to December 29, 2007 in Las Vegas, at UFC 79. Hughes has also stated his intentions to go up to middleweight to fight champion Anderson Silva if former champion, Rich Franklin can't beat Silva in their rematch at UFC 77. Hughes stated that if this fight occurs, it would happen in 2008 following his scheduled title shot against Serra.

That'll be an interesting fight. Although I'd give an edge to Silva, I wouldn't bet any money on this fight. I pick Silva because although Matt may be stronger, he has no striking game. Silva's standup is rivaled by few (if any) in the UFC. Matt has excellent ground game, but Silva is a BJJ black belt which he obtained from the Nogueira brothers ... a pair of top submissionists in the fight game.

So with the ground game being so close but the standup HEAVILY favoring Silva (not to mention his reach advantage over Hughes with this) I say "The Spider" would retain his title.

PS
I also think this fight WILL happen 'cause I highly doubt Franklin will beat Silva in their rematch. He was absolutely crushed in their first fight.

Silva will kill Franklin... AGAIN.
Hughes will beat Serra.
Silva will beat Hughes.

Been seeing some good talent coming up through the smaller "farm" leagues. Gonna see a lot of top contenders getting "surprised" by these guys.

Just wait... the fun has just begun.

I don't follow bowling...

Kidding, kidding...I have watched a few of the UFC fights, but I honestly don't keep up.  I wouldn't mind watching this one though  biggrin.gif

I dont think with even the buell mod, Silvia could fit on one!

NightCrawler,

I second everything you said. Hughes would have a difficult time standing with Silva. This would lead him to the takedown where Silva can apply his submission game. Hughes has a very good top game but has had some close submission calls against Charuto (who put on a BJJ clinic) and BJ Penn (who submitted him via RNC).

I don't know that Silva's BJJ game is at that level but then again he hasn't had to prove it since coming to the UFC (and I didn't watch Pride).

GSXTacy...what an awesome picture! Do you train MMA w/ Pat? He's a legend and seems like a very genuine and caring guy.

GSXTacy...what an awesome picture!  Do you train MMA w/ Pat?  He's a legend and seems like a very genuine and caring guy.[/quote]

Semi and I went over there and opened a can of whoop azz on Pat. Then while Silvia was hiding from us in the corner, we stole his gear and held it hostage!

IMG_0789__Medium_.jpg

LOL, Yes I have met Pat, no I dont "Know" him. Seems like a great guy, doesnt act snobby at all. Matt seems arogant at first but then just jokes around alot. Saw Silvia once while eating out, I refuse to interupt a famous persons meal with family to get an autograph or picture, so I dont know much about him.

(fstbusa @ Aug. 24 2007,21:31) he is just lucky enough to live in the quad cities where MFS is located  super.gif
Ive never been told I was "lucky" to live in this hell hole! LOL

GSXTacy,

Pat ("Croation") posts on one of the other forums that I frequent. He has always come across as a good guy.

I've heard that Matt Hughes comes across as a jerk. I could see where fighters stopping by to train at MFS could think that. Matt probably has a "bullseye" on his back because he's not a "huge" guy but is very well known. This probably leads to him having to establish dominance early...(purely my guess and cannot be substantiated with anything)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back