Massive Accident Caused By Bike running

What if the officer in pursuit was the one that was killed? Who do you blame then? The officer or the guy that created that situation to begin with by running? Just conversing here, not looking for a fight...
smile.gif

Absolutely, debate is good for the mental acuity. If I decide to violate traffic lights, laws, speed limits, whatever in pursuit of another individual doing the same thing and I crash into a bridge abutment and I kill myself, then it is my fault for the decision that I made to compound anothers mistake by following him in his irresponsible action.

That janks is retareted. Bad decision by the motorcyclist and the officer. That area is notorious for bikers running.

(Cblast @ May 31 2007,16:14) Absolutely, debate is good for the mental acuity.  If I decide to violate traffic lights, laws, speed limits, whatever in pursuit of another individual doing the same thing and I crash into a bridge abutment and I kill myself, then it is my fault for the decision that I made to compound anothers mistake by following him in his irresponsible action.
I agree with that in theory for the every day Joe driving down the road, but if you're PAID to serve and protect and your job is to pursue (i.e. there aren't laws or departmental policies to not chase), I have a tough time not passing blame to the motorcyclist. I truly hope he is caught and has a price to pay...and who knows, time may show that the pursuing officer in this case did something drastic in his maneuvers to warrant disciplinary actions as well...I just can't absolve that rider that's now MIA...

(Big E @ May 31 2007,13:15) "That janks is retareted."  
I am tempted to ask for this to be written above my Avatar.

Exactly, he killed the people he should have been serving and protecting, he did, no else was parked on a pedestrian. He should have remembered the words "To Protect", not to maim and kill as I pursue a runner. That is what backup and choppers and radios are for.

(Cblast @ May 31 2007,16:23) Exactly, he killed the people he should have been serving and protecting, he did, no else was parked on a pedestrian.  He should have remembered the words "To Protect", not to maim and kill as I pursue a runner.  That is what backup and choppers and radios are for.
I do agree with that wholeheartedly, but as bad as it is, there are always scenarios where "collateral damage" occurs...some could certainly be avoided, as in this case had he chosen to not chase, but again, it's all so easy for us to sit back and judge not knowing all of the facts, not knowing what he's been told he should or must do, not knowing what that rider had done to warrant a chase...it'll all wash out eventually and it is so easy for me to sit and chat about this since I'm not the one that just lost a loved one...I do have to admit to that...it's a damn shame no matter how you dice it up and I truly feel that those families are in agony over this and wish like hell that cop hadn't pursued...

(VaBusa @ May 31 2007,13:30)
(Cblast @ May 31 2007,16:23) Exactly, he killed the people he should have been serving and protecting, he did, no else was parked on a pedestrian.  He should have remembered the words "To Protect", not to maim and kill as I pursue a runner.  That is what backup and choppers and radios are for.
I do agree with that wholeheartedly, but as bad as it is, there are always scenarios where "collateral damage" occurs...some could certainly be avoided, as in this case had he chosen to not chase, but again, it's all so easy for us to sit back and judge not knowing all of the facts, not knowing what he's been told he should or must do, not knowing what that rider had done to warrant a chase...it'll all wash out eventually and it is so easy for me to sit and chat about this since I'm not the one that just lost a loved one...I do have to admit to that...it's a damn shame no matter how you dice it up and I truly feel that those families are in agony over this and wish like hell that cop hadn't pursued...
I am with you 100 percent and I will be praying for all involved, this was a great discussion and thanks again to the Org for providing us with a venue to discuss and to vent when we all need a place to do so.

(Rayabusa0818 @ May 31 2007,08:41)
(BusaWhipped @ May 31 2007,11:34)
(VaBusa @ May 31 2007,07:58) I may be the minority here, but I do believe that motorcyclist, if ever found, should be held accountable...
I agree that the biker needs to he held accountable for his actions: speeding, reckless driving, evading, and probably a few more that should take him off the streets for a while.  But the cop also needs to be held accountable for his actions as well.  The officer should be trained to make good decisions whether to pursue or not.  In this case, it appears that the cop's decision to pursue was not a good one.  Radio is faster than rubber, but you don't get the adrenalin rush from pressing a mic key.
+1 Well said
beerchug.gif
+1000

There's much less danger to the public from a bike doing 150 MPH on the beltway than from a police cruiser in a high speed pursuit. Without other reasonable cause to believe that the rider was engaged in some violent crime, the cop should not be allowed to chase.

The trouble is that traffic tickets are not about public safety. If they were, this situation would have been a no-brainer; let the bike go - catch him with radios and cameras instead. However, traffic tickets are not about public safety, they're about revenues. A biker doing 150 through PG on the beltway will be giving his fines to a different jurisdiction in about 20 seconds. PG can't have that, can they?

And why doesn't anyone talk about the FACT that using a police car to stop a motorcyclist by running into the motorcycle is deadly force? What justification did the officer have for employing deadly force against this motorcyclist, who according to the video was guilty only of speeding, wreckless, and evading (none of which warrant deadly force)?

This police officer should be charged for improper use of deadly force without probable cause and locked up and barred from holding a badge the rest of his life.

I don't believe the biker should be held accountable if his vehicle wasn't the one that caused the mess. I know for sure some leo's will use their car to stop a biker by running into them and I don't wanna hear the crap that they do it at low speeds either. It should not be done at any speeds. I know of guy's who ran at crazy speeds cause of some leo trying to hit them at crazy speeds and missed. At that point they were running for their well being and lives. I'm not saying that they shouldn't be chased if a serious crime was committed but hell I don't think white lining or some other minor stuff really constitutes an all out chase cause then shid like this could happen. Unless the guy on the bike killed someone they shouldn't be chased at high speeds. Don't get me wrong everyone. I don't believe anyone should run but it happens. It was the leo that made the mess. He lost control of his vehicle. Could you imagine if he lost control with his gun. Who's fault would it be then? Just my opinion.

(ike @ May 31 2007,19:10) I don't believe the biker should be held accountable if his vehicle wasn't the one that caused the mess. I know for sure some leo's will use their car to stop a biker by running into them and I don't wanna hear the crap that they do it at low speeds either. It should not be done at any speeds. I know of guy's who ran at crazy speeds cause of some leo trying to hit them at crazy speeds and missed. At that point they were running for their well being and lives. I'm not saying that they shouldn't be chased if a serious crime was committed but hell I don't think white lining or some other minor stuff really constitutes an all out chase cause then shid like this could happen. Unless the guy on the bike killed someone they shouldn't be chased at high speeds. Don't get me wrong everyone. I don't believe anyone should run but it happens. It was the leo that made the mess. He lost control of his vehicle. Could you imagine if he lost control with his gun. Who's fault would it be then? Just my opinion.
ike, not to argue brother, but I need to see the video. The lawsuits would be horrendous, not to mention it violates the Constitution. The only time this might work is a fleeing felon that presents an imminent danger to the public.

Like the man said pull over

I hate to hear when someone gets hurt. Don't matter who's at fault . It's just terrible.

I heard the Governor of MD is looking in to banning sportbikes due to this event. After all the deadly auto accidents on the beltway caused by cars alone they pick on a motorcycle. Good luck on that one!

I will have to watch tonights biased media to see whats up.
guns.gif

This news report was better. Lots of open questions the police have not answered. Like did he have his lights on and why did he chase if video was rolling. They never stated it was a sportbike only that it was a dark bike this time.

The cousin of one of the victims was upset the cops pusued the bike causing the death of his cousin. Asking why didnt he call off the chase if video was on and radio available.

Lawsuit brewing I am certain.

Not to offend any leo's but lets face the fact that many officers complete a whopping 6 months of training in school and are usually on a 6 month on the job training so they may not have good taining

(forceofnature @ May 31 2007,22:16) They never stated it was a sportbike only that it was a dark bike this time.
Today on one of the D.C. area news sites I saw that they referred to the bike as a "black race bike"...

There is a lot of discussion about whether or not to chase, and it is a solid debate. One point I have not seen however is the deterrant effect. If a speeder knows that he can elude punishment by running every time since the police can't chase, there is no way to stop or catch people driving/riding too fast or unsafely. My opinion is if you get get caught you should pull over. If you run you are responsible for the consequences. Cop would not be in a position to make a split second bad judgement if the chase had not started. Just pull over.

Back