3 accidents in 4 years - Decisions, decisons

mvanlone

Registered
Ok, guys I need some feedback. I have been riding bikes for a good while (Over 7 years). The last 4 years I have been hit 3x by cars. None of these accidents are my fault. I have been rearended 2x and 2 weeks ago, I got hit by a drunk driver. Every accident the bike was totaled. What do I do? Do I throw in my chips and say forget riding or I get back in the seat again? I am frustrated in getting a nice bike (Hayabusa) and than you put money in the bike and than when a cager hits you, your bike gets screwed and you lose money, get hurt, and than you feel like crap....cause again someone caused you problems. What would you do? I live in Ohio....any members can tell me where I can get a great deal on a new 2008 Black and Orange if I decide to ride again? I am willing to drive even to local state and trailer bike even if the deal is good and if I am going to get another bike. I am indecision on which way to go. I have had nightmares almost every night since that accident....but I am a tough SOB that I know it is just cause I need to get on the seat again and I would be ok. Am I crazy to get another bike? My wife is supportive and is willing to help me get another if I decide to go that route......I am just not sure.....please get me good advice...

you say your a tough SOB. if so, get back in the saddle. your not dead yet.

"Do not exist, Live!" -author unknown to me

also there is an apparent steal of the slowest color:whistle: that you are seeking in the GEN II forums.

If u fell off ur training bike as a kid, didn't u get back on? Be smart tho. Is it a sign or what? Most guys are lucky to live thru 1 crash, you've been thru 3..... think about it.

Hopefully, you are retired by now with the law suit awards. I know If someone hit me, I would OWN them financially.

you have bad luck or you dont know how to ride, if you know how to ride, get another bike

Hopefully, you are retired by now with the law suit awards. I know If someone hit me, I would OWN them financially.

Drunk driver.....no insurance, had 2 warrants for his arrest, and was hit and run...got 6 tickets....my insurance will cover...under the uninsured motorist. The accident before...only $25,000....I was not looking to make money. It was pain and suffering from torn acl. The accident before was a hit and run....again my insurance had to deal with it....they end up finding the guy....again...he had no insurance....sucks. People forget you buy a bike....put custom stuff on it....even when you are hit and it is total lost...they don't pay you for all the loss of the custom stuff on your bike as well as the worth of the bike....You do lose money on you bike after it is totalled. You aren't making money.

Last edited:
keep riding , just change your driving style so it wont happen again.

i drive in to dallas tx every day, and dallas has the worst drivers

rules to ride by
. keep eyes on mirrors at all times
. stay ahead of traffic- speed if you have to
. do not ride on the side of any vehical, they will not see you.
. if there is a car on all 4 sides of you, your about to get in trouble get out 1st chance you get.
. loud pipes
. DO not let cars follow closer then 5-6 car lenghts.
. If traffic is slowing down really fast use your hazard lights. cagers dont pay attention to just break lights.

Mvanlone, why don't you just take a break for awhile? Just take time off from the decision. There is no real pressure to do anything. Maybe in a couple of months the id (the primordial part of your brain that we can not control...and from where your dreams are generated) will give you the feeling one way or another which way the decision should go. It has taken me a lifetime to listen to the id and it rarely is wrong. The other thing I might add and you have read a zillion times...is change the visibility of yourself to cagers...light color helmets...bright green jackets with reflective tape...modulating headlights..and defensive driving skills every second you are on the bike. I think you probably drive in heavy traffic...you have had more than your share of bad luck...so ask yourself ..is it something I'm doing that they don't see me...or is it just...bad luck? Maybe you are getting hit because of riding home in a westerly direction and the sun is setting in the west..decreasing your visibility in the cager's eyes...things like this can and do play a role in "hits"...I think if you don't rush the decision, or allow ego,tesosterone, or .org member's supportive comments about getting back on a bike influence you..your inner most thoughts during a quiet moment will speak to you what is the correct decision for you and your family...listen to it and you won't be disappointed....and if your riding days are over it is okay and if you get a new bike...fantastic...think of what you can do to increase your odds of being seen more clearly...and trust me on this...there is supportive literature that empirically supports brighter colors...2hip

Good luck in your decision. Like stated before plenty of good deals on the ...... color :laugh:

Could I ask what might be effecting your bad odds? Were these accidents at night? Daylight? Location? Any discernable pattern that you could just plain ol avoid?

Drunk driver.....no insurance, had 2 warrants for his arrest, and was hit and run...got 6 tickets....my insurance will cover...under the uninsured motorist. The accident before...only $25,000....I was not looking to make money. It was pain and suffering from torn acl. The accident before was a hit and run....again my insurance had to deal with it....they end up finding the guy....again...he had no insurance....sucks. People forget you buy a bike....put custom stuff on it....even when you are hit and it is total lost...they don't pay you for all the loss of the custom stuff on your bike as well as the worth of the bike....You do lose money on you bike after it is totalled. You aren't making money.

Man i guess i got luckey with my accident because state farm gave me 11,800 for my 05 that was moded up, im actually getting the check tomorrow, but if it were me i would get back on it, but i would be a bit nervous after 3 times though. my wife wouldn't be so supportive. good luck bro!!!

Thats tough dude,

Is there a state out there where insurance is required by everyone, all the time.

I know here in NC it isn't.

Get another one, it's wonderful your spouse is behind you also.
:thumbsup:

Man i guess i got luckey with my accident because state farm gave me 11,800 for my 05 that was moded up, im actually getting the check tomorrow, but if it were me i would get back on it, but i would be a bit nervous after 3 times though. my wife wouldn't be so supportive. good luck bro!!!

I have State farm too. Agent told me if i have mods, take pics and keep reciepts. That will help incase of any accident.

Dude, you're like Bruce Willis in the movie unbreakable! But I have to admit three accidents like you've described would shake anyone's resolve to ride. Look up post tramatic stress syndrome... It is a common problem for accident victims. You are not crazy for wanting to ride!

Time will help and you should and will ride again when the time is right - you don't need to push yourself...

down inside you know the answer, no one can make it for you. It is your choice.

Back