Marines and future Marines...

Then we must respectfully agree to disagree.:beerchug:
I understand there have to be rules, and that some people object to visible tattoos. I just feel that denying a person who is otherwise qualified to be in a leadership position, and who would have made an excellent leader on the sole basis of visible ink is foolish.

When I was originally nominated for a commission, I was rejected by the selection board because my tattoos didn't present the image of an officer. I was asked if I would have them removed as a condition of being accepted to go to OCS. I refused and was rejected by the board. They weren't saying anything about me, or my ability to lead - just that I didn't look the way they wanted me to look and I could live with that... the next year I recieved orders to attend OCS, tattoos and all...

When I was originally nominated for a commission, I was rejected by the selection board because my tattoos didn't present the image of an officer. I was asked if I would have them removed as a condition of being accepted to go to OCS. I refused and was rejected by the board. They weren't saying anything about me, or my ability to lead - just that I didn't look the way they wanted me to look and I could live with that... the next year I recieved orders to attend OCS, tattoos and all...
Glad they saw past it. Thank you for responding. I understand what is meant by the image of an officer.

Just to play devil's advocate:
Suppose you are a young leader with some ink from a previous life..gang affiliated stuff and a new soldier, that may not be as disciplined starts an issue with said officer for no other reason than an old tattoo, would this have been an issue if he complied with current policy.
point being, if you dig enough, there is always some logic to why a policy came about. Rarely have I found such rules derived from complete randomness.

One last point: I had a young soldier with a tattoo on his neck..good kid but found himself in bad situation, just dumb and not paying attention. Anyway, the CSM and others wanted to kick him out based on dumb, young kid decisions. Sadly, they just stereotyped him because of his ink....sad, but it happens. Sometimes those rules are there to help protect Soldiers from ignorance as well.

Back