Marines and future Marines...

MC MUSTANG

Peace Keeper or Ban Hammer-it's up to you; IDMBT#9
Staff member
Administrator
Registered
This is an email that I just sent out to the Marines that I serve with...

Patriots,
MARADMIN 029/10 signed 15 Jan has been released. This MARADMIN states in para 3 that it "...provides the consolidated/updated Marine Corps Tattoo policy and takes precedence over all previous MARADMINS on the subject."

This policy is effective immediately and covers tattoos and brands.

Para 2 states that "The growing trend of excessive tattoos limits world-wide assignability of Marines and detracts from one of the most visible hallmarks of our Corps - our distinguished appearance. This tattoo policy seeks to balance the personal desires of the Marines with their inherent responsibilities to set the example and present the sharp military appearance America has come to expect of her Marines."

There are several items of note in this update to the policy, which apply to ALL Marines.
1. (para 4) There are new requirements and as such new grandfathering requirements. Any Marine who does not meet the requirements of the updated tattoo policy will be grandfathered per para 6 of the MARADMIN NLT 01 Jun 10 (para 6 items A. through D.)

2. Tattoos that are visible in the standard PT uniform will be "no longer than the wearer's hand with the fingers extended and joined with the thumb touching the base of the index finger." (para 4 (3) ).

3. Tattoos/brands will not be visible or apparent on the feet or legs when wearing the Service "A", Blue or Blue/White "A" or "B", or Evening Dress uniforms. (para 4(5) ) *** Although not specifically mentioned, I speculate that Mess Dress is included in this requirement. ***

4. Tattoos not visible except with the use of Ultra-Violet light (Black Light) must be in compliance with this MARADMIN. (para 4(6) )

This update also provides guidance for Officers, Officer Candidates and Warrant Officer applicants.
1. Officers are limited to not more than four (4) tattoos/brands visible in the standard PT uniform.

2. Enlisted Marines who have previously grandfathered "sleeve tattoos" are INELIGIBLE for ANY Enlisted to Officer programs in the Marine Corps. (para 4 B. (3) )

3. Prior to commissioning/appointment, current Officer Candidates and Warrant Officer applicants will be rescreened for compliance to the updated policy. (para 4 B. (4) )

For the purposes of the Marine Corps tattoo policy, the definitions of “sleeve†and “excessive†tattoos are provided in paras 5 A. and 5 E., respectively.

A single tattoo is defined as:
“one (1) or multiple tattoos spaced apart that can still be covered by a circle with a diameter of five (5) inches. Tattoos spaced apart that cannot be covered by a circle with a diameter of five (5) inches are considered separate tattoos.†(para 5 C.)

For Marines with tattoos, please read the MARADMIN and ensure that documentation of your tattoos is complete and accurate in your records; while properly grandfathered tattoos will not affect Enlisted promotions or retention (IAW previous MARADMINs) new, undocumented tattoos or incomplete waivers can and will.

It is important to understand that while we may chose to decorate our bodies, the Marine Corps has published guidance and requires compliance. Failure to observe the tattoo policy when getting “inked or branded†or failing to provide information about tattoos for “grandfathering†may subject you to administrative/punitive actions under the UCMJ.

For all Marines – please consider carefully when making a choice about getting a tattoo/brand. A “cool†new tattoo can carry with it ramifications for future opportunities.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it used to be any tatts on the arms were allowed to the start of the cuff, not showingon the wrist right?

Seems they're definitely cracking down. With the popularity of tattoos these days, think these new guidelines might affect obtaining new recruits :dunno:

Eventually, yes. They have been scaling back over the last few years. I know this last move will affect retention, because the statement about sleeves not being acceptable for Officer programs will put a lot of people off. By these rules, I am not in compliance with the policy.

With all of the challenges facing Marines and members of all services I hardly feel that tattoos would be a priority, but then again, this is what our "leadership" has turned into. Just sad.

Good to know the war has not detracted from good administrivia. :whistle:

Eventually, yes. They have been scaling back over the last few years. I know this last move will affect retention, because the statement about sleeves not being acceptable for Officer programs will put a lot of people off. By these rules, I am not in compliance with the policy.

aren't you an officer already?

I love that higher ups have decided that young men (and women, but my guess is that less women are affected by this policy) who are willing to risk death and dismemberment for this country do not have the right to decorate themselves as they see fit. This and the fact that they cannot legally have a drink in are things which annoy me tremendously. "Oh, your old enough to sacrifice your life, but not to get a beer and get your neck or hand tatted". Whatever. This policy is stupid. I understand about standards of conduct and dress, but what someone decides to decorate their skin with is their own damn business. Do these administrative higher ups not realize that there is a war being fought and they could use all the help they can get? What are they gonna do if they have to reinstate the draft? I believe tattoo parlors would see a huge upswing in business in that event.......

Mr. Brown, it's not stupid. They have their reasons and as someone who spend 26 years in the service, I have to agree that there has to be a reasonable policy. The devil is in the details.

i see no problem...too many kids enter millitary (yes even david did this) and the pressure to go out and cover yourself was high... there has to be thought about even future careers and restrictions of them due to inking

Mr. Brown, it's not stupid. They have their reasons and as someone who spend 26 years in the service, I have to agree that there has to be a reasonable policy. The devil is in the details.

Actually it is sorta stupid. It sends a message of intolerance to people different from the status quo. Tat's do not affect a marine's ability to put rounds down range. They do not make them more vulnerable to enemy fire nor to the detract from good order and dicipline (with the exception of those that are racist, gang related or anti american).

I complete agree with the drinking issue as well. If a young man or woman is old old enough to go to war or even register for the draft then they should be legally able to have a beer. :beerchug:

I found and read the entire MARADMIN. Sorry Shawn, but from what I read, I have to agree with this MARADMIN and the Marine Corps policy.
When I was in (Back in the day of the Gamma Goats and such.:whistle:) Tattoos for the most part were not a problem. There were a few that would get you tossed out in a heartbeat no questions asked. I saw it once. But tattoos were not as prevelant then as they are today. I agree with the part about being able to be stationed when and where needed. That is what we do as Marines. We go when and where the Corps feels it needs us. Now with tattoos that would detract from the Squared away Marine Corps look and appearance, you are not stationable(is that a word?) where the Corps feels you are needed, You have jeopordized the readiness of the Corps.
I have tattoos myself (10) and to this day when I get one, I place them in a proffesional place on my body. I CAN NOT present a Squared Away/ Proffesional appearance with a short sleeve shirt. But I can with a long sleeve shirt.
Now if I was still in, I would not have recieved some of my Tatts. As a Marine you need to represent the Corps in a proffesional manner at ALL TIMES. Even in PT gear.
Not to hinder individual choice and preferences, but as a Marine you represent the best of the best (NO OFFENSE to other branches. I was brain washed like the rest.) and need to do so 24/7/365. Your appearance as a Marine is just as important as our loyalty and dedication.

With all of that being said, I agree with freedom of expression, but I also agree with the Corps policy on this matter. Marines have a long history of traditions and need to present the appearance that has garnered us our prestige.

Semper Fidelis, God, Country and Corps.

Oh, don't misunderstand... I don't disargree with the policy at all... I am grandfathered - and I agree that it isn't stupid from the cultural perspective... there is a winning the hearts and minds idea at play here... as a case in point, when I went on R&R from Kuwait International, I had to buy a long sleeve shirt to cover my tattoos; they wouldn't let me in the airport, let alone out of the country. What message do the tattoos send? And in my email, I am asking all of our Marines to do exactly what Kevin did... read and understand the tattoo. There is nothing in there about tattoos under the shirt, the focus is on what is outwardly visible.

And I absolutely agree with the drinking comment, except here is what a lot of people don't understand. The drinking edge on a military base is set by the local commander. The reason most won't lower it below 21 is because if the serviceman or woman goes out in town and gets in trouble... So they can drink in places... usually beer only and alcohol at 21.

Then we must respectfully agree to disagree.:beerchug:
I understand there have to be rules, and that some people object to visible tattoos. I just feel that denying a person who is otherwise qualified to be in a leadership position, and who would have made an excellent leader on the sole basis of visible ink is foolish.

Oh, don't misunderstand... I don't disargree with the policy at all... I am grandfathered - and I agree that it isn't stupid from the cultural perspective... there is a winning the hearts and minds idea at play here... as a case in point, when I went on R&R from Kuwait International, I had to buy a long sleeve shirt to cover my tattoos; they wouldn't let me in the airport, let alone out of the country. What message do the tattoos send? And in my email, I am asking all of our Marines to do exactly what Kevin did... read and understand the tattoo. There is nothing in there about tattoos under the shirt, the focus is on what is outwardly visible.

And I absolutely agree with the drinking comment, except here is what a lot of people don't understand. The drinking edge on a military base is set by the local commander. The reason most won't lower it below 21 is because if the serviceman or woman goes out in town and gets in trouble... So they can drink in places... usually beer only and alcohol at 21.

Let me ask you this Shawn: Do your tattoos make you in any way worse at your position? If I am understanding what you wrote correctly you could not do what you currently do if this policy had gone into effect ten years ago. The qualities that make you a good leader are not lessened to any degree by your ink are they?

Back