Man drops bike twice...

WWJD

Donating Member
Registered
Okay, no film, but my cam was in the car! If I'd only known, it would have been great YOUTUBE footage.

So, I'm in this gas station, cleaning bugs off the car window and I hear that call of the wild... a bike pulling in. Gotta turn and look. It's instinctual. A guy pulls up on red bike, very shiney, very new, very helmetless. Pulls up in front of this convenience store and as I watch, grabs all front break with the front tire turned a little left, bike dives and leans, and as I am too far away to run over and help, it drops down until it's laying on it's side while he struggles to keep it upright. CEERUNCH!!! I hear breakage, I see a blinker or two snap off and roll a little bit away. I think, "Oh that sucks" as he lifted the bike back up. He was quick to do it and had enough power, so I didn't feel compelled to go assist... he had it under control. So I thought. What do you suppose happened next? Yep. He tilted her up, and right on over too far, and it falls over on the right side now. CEERUNCH!!!!

At this point, I lost all resepct for the poor guy and felt embarrassed as a motocyclist. No helmet, apparently low on control skills with that front break parking drop, and then dumping it over on the other side. Nice shiney bike.

Okay, so here's the thing that floored me. The bike sure was shiney.... as we pulled out, I noticed he had those NEW BIKE paper sticker plates on it! IT WAS A BRAND NEW BIKE! And I'm betting money on a brand new rider too.

I do feel sorry for the poor guy's wallet, but at the same time no sympathy for the situation. I'm sure a lot of us have been there - new rider slow drop in parking lot. I bought a nice used bike for that exact scenaria, and I must have dropped it 4 times

Cycle skills are not a born talent, they are learned. oh well

Dayum ... I never saw that happen ... but it would have made me SICK. Bet he was ....

Dealers ought to have an old bike to test your skills before they let you leave the lot.

jump9.gif
thats reminds of a guy I use to work with,he'd drop it lift it up so hard and flip it over on the other side.He did it with 2 differant bikes.

That wuz some funny shid. Thanks for the good laugh.
biggrin.gif

Wow. You're a lot nicer than I am.

I had something similar happen to me (new bike, newbie rider wearing flip-flops), and I yelled at the guy, and told him he had no business on a bike.

Some people you just can't help. What was zukracer's classic line:

"You can't fix stupid!"

Seems apropos here...

Maybe some 2foot long frame sliders are in order too.

(heavybusa @ Jun. 11 2007,08:59)
(GMbusa @ Jun. 11 2007,11:22) Maybe some 2foot long frame sliders are in order too.
AKA training wheels  
laugh.gif

Always start used and abused.
I could probably fabricate up a pair, with side scrapers attached.
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

And people wonder why we say a sprtbike doesn't make a good first bike. On a naked bike, the embarrasment wouldn't be followed by $$$$ in repairs.

(Justyntym @ Jun. 11 2007,08:20)
newbie.gif

jump9.gif

So what kinda bike was it?
You know my angle was wrong and I coundn't see the front. I think it was 600 or larger by the engine size and sound. Didn't look like anythingreal popular, but it was full fairing, all red, NOT Honda looking though, more like Katana. Maybe it was waxed up older bike? I grabbed my camcorder and tried to snap the pic of the bike and parts laying on the ground, but we were moving and I didn't get it.

NOTE TO SELF: When traveling with camcorder, ALWAYS ALWAYS have it in hand, powered up and ready.

Would have been priceless to get the whole thing in Hi-Def!!!
biggrin.gif

I have seen far too many times newbies leaving a bike dealer with no experience.

The next time you drop your bike or do something stupid laugh at yourself. Just think, someone from here has likely seen you and they are laughing. You might as well join the fun.

You have to feel a little sympathy for the guy. Accidents happen. Bikes fall over. It's just a part of life.

I have to wonder if the dude was impaired. Nothing makes you sicker than dropping your bike except maybe helping a buddy take his off stands and the bike dropping.
crazy.gif

Back