Loud bikes are killing off motorcycles in the US

I have what most would consider a loud pipe. I bought it for the performance not the noise. In high RPMs I think it makes a good bit of noise. In town and especially in neighborhoods I keep it near idle out of courtesy. Sunday mornings and late nights I keep it way down.

I have what most would consider a loud pipe. I bought it for the performance not the noise. In high RPMs I think it makes a good bit of noise. In town and especially in neighborhoods I keep it near idle out of courtesy. Sunday mornings and late nights I keep it way down.

agreed

its all about how courteous you are with it

Perez Hilton has loud pipes on his bike and he says they have saved his life:laugh::laugh:

celebrity-pictures-hilton-attention-whore.jpg

There was a police force that trashed the stock exhaust and added loud aftermarket exhaust for safety reasons.

I'm not a fan of obnoxiously loud exhaust,but you do only get one life and anything to help maintain that life should never shunned at. Like most said earlier in the thread. It's not the exhaust thats giving the bad reputation, it's how the rider treats the exhaust.

Guns don't kill, Poeple kill!

ok im going to play devils advicate here....you cant find statistics on if loud pipes save lives because if they hear you and are aware of you then they dont pull out in front of you and NO accident is created...how do you gather statistics for that. of COURSE you cant prove it. for my experience HELL YES i can blip my throttle when i notice someone at a intersection getting ready to pull out and looking the other way that they IMMEDIATLY JACK THIER HEAD TO LOOK AT ME. should i grab my notebook and pencil so i may jot down the accident i my not have had due to my "awarness" to make sure the other driver was "aware" of me so that we can end this argument. heck for that matter lets let the country be switched to 50% electric cars and see wich ones get hit most often!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love my exhaust. Pisses off the racer in the other lane cuz he can't hear his own bike. I really enjoy the fact that it pisses harley guys off cuz they thought a twin with straight pipes was loud.......If I'm riding around town, especially at night I'm upshifting by 3k. If not you can hear it literally for miles. (I live in a small town) My bike is 99% drag bike, rarely on the street. I am as courteous as possible, get along well with my neighbors and most of the local constabulary.
It's like the gun argument: Loud pipes don't annoy people, people annoy people.
Learn when and where to twist the throttle and everybody's happy.
My exhaust is a Muzzy sidewinder, no baffle. As loud as it gets.........:rofl:

i take my cans completely off from time to time.. its loud but i like to hear it. they go back on when i go on long rides tho.. it gives me a headace

Stealthy, I agree with you that loud pipes:thumbsup: do save lives and I also drive with my hid high beams on:beerchug:. Here in Arizona, where we get drivers from all over, they don't pay attention to s@#$. They wait till the last minute to get over when the lane they are in is merging, pullout from parking lots without stoping to look, and they are busy talking on their phones. I love it when I yell at them to get off the f@#$ing phone they say " You have, you use it right?" I tell them yes, but I wait till I get where i'm going to use it.

Got some a-hole that lives a few blocks away and wether I'm watching movies, cutting my grass or sleeping, I hear Obnoxious man and his 'notice mee everyone' Victory (or whatever the heck that contraption is) every damn time.

Loud pipes saves lives? Yeah, just as guns kill people.

Most obnoxious (Look at meee!) egg-head types are to blatantly ignorant, too full of 'em selves to understand this.

.. and that's :moon: how I really feel.

Pulsating headlight helps them see you.
Sound helps them hear you.
If sound and flashing light(s) didn't have an effect then why would emergenacy/patrol cars have both? Not to let you know they are ahead of you.

So sound has to merit some kind of saftey factor.

i have a neighbor who harasses me about my busa, saying i rod it around at all hours of the night. he's full of ****, it's the harley ******* down the street. i had stock pipes, i drilled the baffles and before i even got to drive it, he walks over, still daylight out, telling me i'm waking his kids up.:moon:

If sound and flashing light(s) didn't have an effect then why would emergenacy/patrol cars have both? Not to let you know they are ahead of you.

Interesting point.

Well in MA if you dont have "STAMPED" EPA certified exhaust now(just passed law) it's a $300.00 fine, also NY is looking at the same. No more Decible Meters or anything due to guys that just have to rev em as they go thru towns or markets both Sports and Harleys.. Thanks guys.. :poke:

And with sirens blaring and lights flashing, I still see cagers not moving out of the way of emergency vehicles. People are in their own little oblivious world when they are behind the wheel. If you are counting on your loud pipes to save you instead of paying attention to what's going on around you, you'll be another statistic.

I use it all the time. When I had the HIDs on the '06 it was useless the highbeam took a couple of seconds to come up.

Back