Denver Passes Loud Motorcycle Ordinance

DAB

Registered
(CBS4) DENVER The Denver City Council voted 8-2 Monday night to enact stricter regulations on the noise motorcycles can make staring July 1.

Council members Charlie Brown and Jeanne Faatz voted against the measure.

The ordinance will require all motorcycle pipes to have a stamp to show they are in compliance with U.S. Environmental Protection Agency noise standards.

Councilman Rick Garcia voted for the ordinance.

"Hopefully they will stay out of Denver," Garcia said about the motorcyclists with loud exhaust pipes.

Two years ago, CBS4 reported on how many motorcycles were violating Denver's 80 decibel limit. Police from several agencies conducted a brief crackdown, but using a noise meter to catch a moving motorcycle was not an easy task.

City Council members were given a demonstration of both motorcycles in compliance with noise laws, and those that are not.

"There are a lot of one way streets in my district and late at night they're wide open," Councilwoman Jeannie Robb said. "These things take off and if they're not EPA certified, you heard the difference."

But from those who make a living installing the loud pipes there is another side to the story.

"Loud pipes will save lives because I see people not even paying attention until they hear the pipes and then they look over and see you," a motorcycle mechanic said.

First time violators of the ordinance would get a $500 fine. For repeat offenders, it could go up to $999.

Maybe they should use silent sirens on the cop cars and ambulances also and make the train horns meet the restrictions.
all_coholic.gif

This is discrimination.

How about those civics with no mufflers?
firedevil.gif
And we have to have EPA stamps on out pipes? So who will make nice looking EPA stickers I can put on mine?

my new busa have stock pipes. my ol' harley has loud pipes. i like both. what i don't like are the kids that pass by my house @ 3:00 a.m. rattling the windows with the bass booming.

I agree with a time slotted noise ordinance (between 10pm-6am), now that I am older, but during the day leave people alone. We already have to many laws for taxation.

If I wasn't a cyclist, loud pipes would really p!55 me off. But, as such, I'm fine with it. That said, laws are laws and people abuse them. Sometimes, those laws are ACTUALLY ENFORCED
smile.gif
People should be more respectful to each other and not go WOT on public roads and such.

You should hear bikes at the race track.... thing of beauty!

Loud pipes don't bother me...getting 'em on my car as I type, so who am I to complain?

I do wonder, isn't CO a state that doesn't even do yearly state inspections of vehicles? I could see a law like this flying in VA since we've got to prove our cars/bikes are safe and compliant with existing laws, but in CO, they don't even care if you're running around with a cracked or nearly shattered windshield, right? Kind of ironic that they're picking one aspect of the bike to monitor and control, and everything else is a free-for-all?
rock.gif

My question
wink.gif
would be, 85 db from where (part of the bike and angle) and how far. Makes a BIG difference. I know the Big trucks when they add power going up a hill is more than 85 db  
beerchug.gif

(VaBusa @ Jun. 06 2007,07:46) Loud pipes don't bother me...getting 'em on my car as I type, so who am I to complain?

I do wonder, isn't CO a state that doesn't even do yearly state inspections of vehicles? I could see a law like this flying in VA since we've got to prove our cars/bikes are safe and compliant with existing laws, but in CO, they don't even care if you're running around with a cracked or nearly shattered windshield, right? Kind of ironic that they're picking one aspect of the bike to monitor and control, and everything else is a free-for-all?
rock.gif
Yeah... we don`t have inspections here in CO. No helmet laws eather...
Cracked windshield is a violation. They put small gravel on the roads all winter and if your windshield survived more then 2 years you can consider yourself lucky..

City of Denver its about 1/5 of Denver , Aurora, Littleton, Lakewood, etc. etc... Only City of Denver decided to enforce noise emissions. Specifically downtown Denver.

I guess bar owners will be not happy if HOG crowd go somewhere else...

What pisses me off in this situation is that EPA stickers they will check for. Not actual noise level.
I call it discrimination. Why any freaking car can have straight pipes and no stickers when motorcycles will be forced to keep stock pipes?

Guess what? I`m not going to downtown on my bikes anymore. Screw Denver, there is hundreds of places when they don`t care how loud my bike is.

Back