No Christmas Gifts So I'm Starting Picking A Fight!

I love when people claim that loud pipes cant be heard in front of the bike because the pipes are not pointed forward. Can you not hear a loud stereo coming up behind you? A loud v8? Drag pipe v twin? How about a jet coming from behind...subsonic of course?!
Whatever. If loud works for u, great. If not, great. I have been pulled out in front of many many more times on quiet bikes than loud bikes period. Loud has def saved my ass more often than not. Quiet pipes would be nice during hooligan moments sure.
Troy
Bass, or deeper tones, is omni-directional so while someone might be able to hear it they have zero idea where it originates, so it's not really effective as a warning device. In the interest of full disclosure, I am a strong proponent of the quiet option myself, no need to attract undue attention to my constant twisting of that throttle thingy. However, science seems fairly clear that any uni-directional sound is bound by the Doppler effect, therefore a rear facing exhaust either projects sound in one direction or produces a tone so deep that it's impossible to determine from whence it originates. Either way you slice it, I don't rely on anecdotal evidence to keep me safe, I am a believer that I am on an invisible bicycle and that most cagers are moderately retarded.

I love when people claim that loud pipes cant be heard in front of the bike because the pipes are not pointed forward. Can you not hear a loud stereo coming up behind you? A loud v8? Drag pipe v twin? How about a jet coming from behind...subsonic of course?!
Whatever. If loud works for u, great. If not, great. I have been pulled out in front of many many more times on quiet bikes than loud bikes period. Loud has def saved my ass more often than not. Quiet pipes would be nice during hooligan moments sure.
Troy
Bass, or deeper tones, is omni-directional so while someone might be able to hear it they have zero idea where it originates, so it's not really effective as a warning device. In the interest of full disclosure, I am a strong proponent of the quiet option myself, no need to attract undue attention to my constant twisting of that throttle thingy. However, science seems fairly clear that any uni-directional sound is bound by the Doppler effect, therefore a rear facing exhaust either projects sound in one direction or produces a tone so deep that it's impossible to determine from whence it originates. Either way you slice it, I don't rely on anecdotal evidence to keep me safe, I am a believer that I am on an invisible bicycle and that most cagers are moderately retarded.

Troy

Troy

Troy

Troy
Bass, or deeper tones, is omni-directional so while someone might be able to hear it they have zero idea where it originates, so it's not really effective as a warning device. In the interest of full disclosure, I am a strong proponent of the quiet option myself, no need to attract undue attention to my constant twisting of that throttle thingy. However, science seems fairly clear that any uni-directional sound is bound by the Doppler effect, therefore a rear facing exhaust either projects sound in one direction or produces a tone so deep that it's impossible to determine from whence it originates. Either way you slice it, I don't rely on anecdotal evidence to keep me safe, I am a believer that I am on an invisible bicycle and that most cagers are moderately retarded.:crazy:

Troy
Bass, or deeper tones, is omni-directional so while someone might be able to hear it they have zero idea where it originates, so it's not really effective as a warning device. In the interest of full disclosure, I am a strong proponent of the quiet option myself, no need to attract undue attention to my constant twisting of that throttle thingy. However, science seems fairly clear that any uni-directional sound is bound by the Doppler effect, therefore a rear facing exhaust either projects sound in one direction or produces a tone so deep that it's impossible to determine from whence it originates. Either way you slice it, I don't rely on anecdotal evidence to keep me safe, I am a believer that I am on an invisible bicycle and that most cagers are moderately retarded.:crazy:

Troy

Troy

Troy
Bass, or deeper tones, is omni-directional so while someone might be able to hear it they have zero idea where it originates, so it's not really effective as a warning device. In the interest of full disclosure, I am a strong proponent of the quiet option myself, no need to attract undue attention to my constant twisting of that throttle thingy. However, science seems fairly clear that any uni-directional sound is bound by the Doppler effect, therefore a rear facing exhaust either projects sound in one direction or produces a tone so deep that it's impossible to determine from whence it originates. Either way you slice it, I don't rely on anecdotal evidence to keep me safe, I am a believer that I am on an invisible bicycle and that most cagers are mildly retarded.:crazy:

Troy

I'd have to say that for me, it depends. I'm with 1Busa in that I like the muscle car rumble and acceleration growl. That being said, I so far haven't ever bought pipes to purposefully change my sound. I had a Harley Sportster once upon a time with pipes that had almost zero baffle and I loved the sound. Especially that "loping?" idle. But, the pipes were on it when I bought it. At the time I wouldn't have spent HD prices just to get a different sound. When I bought my Busa it had shorty pipes on it. It still does. The sound is OK, but not muscle car/HD rumble. I'm actually planning to put on stock exhaust back on it or get something similarly quiet. I had no problem getting it licensed when I moved to California but I'm always nervous it will get me unwanted attention from a state trooper.

Not sure what happened here, my phone freaked out and I thought I had to retype my post. Apparently it posted my original stuff multiple times and I can't get my second attempt to go away, sorry gents.

Not sure what happened here, my phone freaked out and I thought I had to retype my post. Apparently it posted my original stuff multiple times and I can't get my second attempt to go away, sorry gents.
Once you hit post reply, give it a few seconds and even if it looks like it froze or is loading the message, hit home page or some other tab and then go back to the thread and your post will be there. It’s an ongoing issue with the forum.

Troy

Can you hear a loud bike coming toward you? Sure, but it's a hell of a lot louder when it goes past or is in front. On the highway with my windows up and stereo on I'm not going to hear a loud bike from behind me and it can be stupid loud when it goes past me. I've seen this first hand plenty of times. If we really want to say we have loud pipes for safety ... because we want to be safe ... we should have bright colored bikes, bright clothing and helmets, and full leathers at all times. The reality is many loud exhaust bike riders (especially the HD crowd) like loud exhaust because of the "bad-ass" image they want to project. It's really a "look at me" tool. That's why the rev them when they are near people. They only use the "loud pipes save lives" story to help justify their preferences.

Can you hear a loud bike coming toward you? Sure, but it's a hell of a lot louder when it goes past or is in front. On the highway with my windows up and stereo on I'm not going to hear a loud bike from behind me and it can be stupid loud when it goes past me. I've seen this first hand plenty of times. If we really want to say we have loud pipes for safety ... because we want to be safe ... we should have bright colored bikes, bright clothing and helmets, and full leathers at all times. The reality is many loud exhaust bike riders (especially the HD crowd) like loud exhaust because of the "bad-ass" image they want to project. It's really a "look at me" tool. That's why the rev them when they are near people. They only use the "loud pipes save lives" story to help justify their preferences.
Exactly! I especially get a kick out of the Hardley guys who rock the full leather "costume", but don't wear a helmet. Whether it's a sport bike or a cruiser, I just have an aversion to posers who are all about the image.

Don't think many road riders feel loud exhaust save lives ultimately , but in certain riding scenario , such as burbling through stationary lines of traffic or relaxed attitude lane splitting , I think a moderately to loud note is a good thing , well certainly not a bad thing . Hitting the gas on a loud cycle in built up areas , is generally known that you won't make many friends , that's a given . Loud can also be very bad for your license , making you a standout target .
I too have experienced the loud , sudden and unseen surprise of aggressive overtake on occasion by both HD and Metric riders , and sure scares the crap out of you for that second , most times . But , so does checking your blind spots in your car and thinking all good to change lane , then suddenly that quiet motorcycle appears from behind that back window / roof pillar wedge . Neither experience leaves your thoughts quickly ...
The pseudo outlaw or lone wolf image , can be easily obtained nowadays in as short a time as quick car drive down to the nearest 'new money showroom' , stocking bad ass designer distressed jackets , all racked up , ready to match up to your new , pre-aged Johnny Rebs and anti scuff bandanas . This can end up being a mostly short lived experience for such an invester . Not only because of lack of riding experience , but mid life crises , overcome by fear of catastrophic injury and possible called out for lack of out-lawlessness . :laugh:

Thats the point..u CAN hear it from behind. Of course not as loud as in front, simple physics. But u can hear it. That is why I have louder pipes than stock. That is why I have Back Off flashing tail lights. That is why I have a FN bright yellow Busa. I do wear learhers, or kevlar. In fact, both times I have gone down, I have been in full kevlar. Any little bit that helps, I am subscribed. Btw, I also wear a bright colored helmet and a bright yellow Suzi jacket.
Not a poser, but someone that really enjoys staying alive.
Troy

U cant really me that each and every one of u bought an aftermarket exhaust for the extra 5 hp. Bs. U bought it for the sound it makes. 5-10 hp on 180 isnt chit. Same peeps that say that a K&N makes their car/bike faster.
Troy

U cant really me that each and every one of u bought an aftermarket exhaust for the extra 5 hp. Bs. U bought it for the sound it makes. 5-10 hp on 180 isnt chit. Same peeps that say that a K&N makes their car/bike faster.
Troy

I bought my Yoshi to reduce weight and let the engine breath better. I also wanted to get rid of the heat from the cats. Sound was not a consideration, really. But if you must have a silly, non-functional motive the R77 CF looks cool.

PS: this sounds more aggressive than I meant it! Sorry Troy - love you buddy.

Troy

I bought my Yoshi to reduce weight and let the engine breath better. I also wanted to get rid of the heat from the cats. Sound was not a consideration, really. But if you must have a silly, non-functional motive the R77 CF looks cool.

PS: this sounds more aggressive than I meant it! Sorry Troy

Thats the point..u CAN hear it from behind. Of course not as loud as in front, simple physics. But u can hear it. That is why I have louder pipes than stock. That is why I have Back Off flashing tail lights. That is why I have a FN bright yellow Busa. I do wear learhers, or kevlar. In fact, both times I have gone down, I have been in full kevlar. Any little bit that helps, I am subscribed. Btw, I also wear a bright colored helmet and a bright yellow Suzi jacket.
Not a poser, but someone that really enjoys staying alive.
Troy
I can't hear you on the highway if you are behind me under most situations. It sounds like you are one of the very few who can make a legitimate claim that you have loud pipes for safety. Even if it really doesn't do much or anything.
Troy
I wouldn't say everyone or even that most bought exhaust for the 5 hp. Certainly for the sound in many cases. If it isn't stupid loud and doesn't bother people, no harm. Drag pipes on a HD going past my house at full throttle is not "no harm". Full throttle downtown between buildings is not "no harm". I am one of the few that can say I bought my exhaust for the 5-7 hp but also for weight savings. One bike is stupid loud and one is fairly tame. Neither are street bikes so I don't have to worry about pissing off the neighbors.

I drive a lot for work... Roughly 450 miles round trip about 3-4 times a month on the freeway (Orlando to FtLauderdale). I just drove home today and did a little test. I drive a newer F150, windows up, and stereo on a reasonable level. Every car or bike that had a custom exhaust (HD, Sport bike, Honda ricer, V8...) that passed me, I could hear from behind. Some a bit more than others. I could def hear them in my blind spos. And I am not talking super loud. On average, I could not hear them beyond about 2-3 car lengths ahead as they passed, except 1 HD. My point is, yes you can most definitely hear them from behind. Even large tires on trucks, or a loud stereo. I am not talking about someone doing 20 or more mph faster and blowing by so quick all u hear is them after they go by. If ur stereo is up that loud that u cannot hear them, then nothing will help. I am more concerned with the blue hairs and soccer moms anyway.
If just one time someone hears me, then I have won.
For the record, I hate those rediculously loud pipes/exhausts on bikes or cars too. With the very limited exception of a very well set up (fast) one.
This topic is like politics, u either get it or u don't. I am just explaing why I have mine is all. If ur still not convinced, try a small test like I did, but make sure u r non biased about it.
Over and out.
Troy

PS: this sounds more aggressive than I meant it! Sorry Troy

Skin is a bit thicker than that Arch!
Hell, I wasn't looking for hp when I went can hunting. I am in the minority on here by far, but I absolutely love the look and sound of the Coffman's tips. Got 1 on my Intercepter too. Of course that one shows off the single sided swing arm nicely. I get compliments nearly everywhere I stop.
Troy

If your in a car , hear a pipe, your eyes are open, and don’t see anything, it’s safe to believe it’s behind you or on one side or the other. Might want to take a look sometime!

Back