Loud bikes are killing off motorcycles in the US

Pipes are just like songs...you can't play the good ones too loud, but no one will ever totally agree on which ones are the good ones. There is nothing that sounds better than a GSXR at 13K RPM with a fine tuned Yoshi. But Harley's don't sound so good to me:)

as a former Harley (with drag pipes) owner I just don't believe that whole "loud pipes save lives" thing. did it sound awesome? yes indeed.

experience tell me that when "Jamming Jimmy" comes double clutching across the Interstate blasting his bass and rattling windows with his echo chambers, those loud motorcycle pipes get lost in the mix... especially since he's not running up behind you where the pipes sound is projected. (most all accidents are from the front of a motorcycle)

if you have loud pipes and you like the sound then say so and leave it at that. don't try to bullsh!# everyone with a lame a$$ "loud pipes save lives" mantra that wasn't true 30 years ago.

i'll put my money toward a brighter light, brighter colors, better horns, and actually learning to ride over those loud pipes any day as far as safety goes.

Pipes are just like songs...you can't play the good ones too loud, but no one will ever totally agree on which ones are the good ones. There is nothing that sounds better than a GSXR at 13K RPM with a fine tuned Yoshi. But Harley's don't sound so good to me:)
I think it is possible to have a great sounding bike that does not make your ears bleed... (not that I have ever been around truly loud machines.. :rofl: )

OMG there's like 20 peeps in this thread right now! Scary...worse than a Harley vs Busa thread....
oh wait..it is a harley vs Busa thread...

Beat this horse to death guys and gals..i'll pass

i'd guess there's no proof that loud pipes don't save lives either! and 1/4 mile away those bikes were disrupting your conversation? try that theory out at your local dragstrip.

If someone moves in next door to a drag strip, they have no room to complain. If someone intent on defening himself and the general population by being obnoxiously loud, then they have no right complaining about legislation targeted at after market systems. I don't want to hear someones baffleless straight pipes when i am in my house. Somethings belong on the track. I am obviously not alone. Take a look at N.Y. If we are not responsible, don't complain about any future legislation, because we have brought it on ourselves.

Well I was going to respond a lot more elaborate but I don't want to argue and all because all of that is opinion and preference but.. loud pipes save lives???? don't know about that and the prove it thing is lame, you can't prove that either way so it is pointless bringing that one up on either end of the debate. but in my opinion WHO CARES... if it ain't late and they aren't like waking you up or winding it up in neutral just to make it loud while sitting or something then whatever. I don't complain about anyone and I don't expect them to complain about me either. ( Hayabusa with turbo dump pipe, and zx6 with GP style pipe actually louder then the busa I think) so enough out of me on this one but I couldn't resist my two cents.

I`m 39 with 3 Kids & a home owner in a residential neighborhood. Have slash cut my Yosi mid pipes! I respect my neighbors by not reving it up or running it late at night. When I come home late I kill the ign. & coast in. Not at all trying to get anybody above all worked up but I`m alive to write this! So that may be of some proof? Just my opinion that`s nothing more, nothing less.

OMG there's like 20 peeps in this thread right now! Scary...worse than a Harley vs Busa thread....
oh wait..it is a harley vs Busa thread...

Beat this horse to death guys and gals..i'll pass

Our perception of life comes from our own experiences. I have had one Harley and I spent more time working on it than I did riding it. I have had a Honda, four Kawasakis, four Suzukis, and two Yamahas...all I have ever had to do to them was routine maintenance. I know Harley has improved over the years and make a good product, but like I said...end of thread jack:)

How about wearing helmets and gear. Can't recall the last time I saw a guy on a Harley around here with more than a half helmet on. Nothing against riding a Harley or any other bike for that matter, but if you want to survive, plan to.

I have never seen that many people at the top of a thread.:laugh:

It seems to me, at the heart of the argument made for loud pipes is always the unspoken assertion that one man's rights are worth more than another's, i.e. my right to the safety afforded me by my loud exhaust trumps your right to be able to sit in peace and [fill in the blank]. This is the attitude of a king, i.e. one whose rights have by decree been elevated above that of all others in the community.

The issue of loud pipes is like a whole lot of other issues where a certain, small faction feel they can do whatever they feel like doing, and everyone else can suck on it. The issue goes a lot deeper than this particular argument about motorcycle exhaust. We're looking into the face of one of the great failings in our society, i.e. the failure to respect one another. That's what this argument is about, underneath its face--respect. Lack of respect for others will always come back and express itself, eventually, as a failure to respect one's self. Unless one is a king, how can it not end up that way?

I might believe the loud pipes save lives thing if the same people weren't also saying helmets kill. Its propaganda to try to makle socially unacceptable behavior appear to have a socially acceptable reason.

That said, I have a cruiser with straight pipes without baffles and a Busa with HMF highmounts. Even with those, cagers come over on me. Paying attention and wearing gear saves lives. Loud pipes are just cool.

Look at Daytona.....they now have a noise ordinance brought about because all of the attention ho's constant flogging of the throttles. This in a town with NASCAR for goodness sakes. You can have loud straight pipes and NOT be obnoxious if you know how.

Look at Daytona.....they now have a noise ordinance brought about because all of the attention ho's constant flogging of the throttles. This in a town with NASCAR for goodness sakes. You can have loud straight pipes and NOT be obnoxious if you know how.

Nasar? Thats Sprint Cup!!!! heheheheheh

Back