Local squid accident

300 Feet = 100 yards = 1 Football field.

120 miles an hour is 1 mile every 30 seconds or 5280 feet every 30 seconds.

So he would be moving 176 feet per second. Meaning he would have been airborne for just under 2 full seconds.  

If she were traveling at 60 miles per hour (or roughly half his speed) she would have only had 2 seconds at the most to react. He would have traveled 300-ish feet in 2 seconds (over her car).  It would take her 4 seconds to travel the same distance.  While he is in flight, she travels for the same 2 seconds, meaning when he lands she has only 2 seconds of her distance remaining.

Add in variables like: she was hit by a motorcycle doing 120 mph from behind - giving her some form of acceleration and possible (momentary) loss of control, then add the "I just got hit from behind" look in the rear view mirror reaction - it's possible she never saw him... but assuming she did see him, it was probably for 1 second and a half or less in a panic situation.

I feel more sorry for her than for him.

Hoping he makes it... for both their sakes.
Excellent post. I suggest everyone who is suggesting it's the cage's "fault" for running over the poor guy to re-read the explanation quoted. Basic physics in play. I hope both involved recover and lead productive lives. A little self-disipline, from the cyclist, could have avoided this disaster.......
coffee.gif

Hey DD, glad my comment was one that made you sick.  For someone who doesn't give a fuk what people think you sure do type a lot.  She should have thrown it in reverse and finished his squid ass off for fuking up her car...hope that comment made you blow chunks all over your keyboard.
puke.gif

And karma doesn't typically bite people in the ass who aren't stupid enough to run 120+ mph with other vehicles around.  Funny thing is, if it had been the cage that hit the bike at 120 mph everyone in here would be wanting the drivers head on a silver platter.  Yet in this case we have people here trying to make up every damn excuse they can in favor for an idiot squid who REAR ENDED a lady driving along in her car.

The real version of karma would be your wife, daughter, sister or mother getting rear ended by some reckless ******* doing 120 mph in traffic...I wonder if your heart would be bleeding and making up excuses for him then?  Thankfully there's no such thing as karma otherwise you'd be in trouble.
we can go back and forth all day cuz,but theres really no sense in that you just proved how much of an ignorant fuk you really are
boohoo.gif

I think that you took me wrong.... I laugh at little stuff just the same as most.  And just for the record, people laugh at me just the same when I make a mistake.   And laughing at someone for owning themselves is not judging them nor have I judged you in any way.  I have no clue about you except your name on a board. I assume you are as nice of a guy as the rest, and considering I am tatted and shave my head with multiple piercings, I think I can relate to the idea of others judgings people who look different.  

I also find it very hard to believe that you have never laughed at someone who tripped, but what do I know.
Hmm, Tripping, potential fatal motorcycle accident.....hmmm don't seem to be in same category to me, but that's just me. Until you have actually seen the results of one up close, I guess it is hard to understand for some people.
Give me a break, I was not comparing an accident of this nature to tripping.  I was stating that he said he never ever laughs at anyones misfortune..... And that is BS, everyone laughs sometime even if it be innapropriate.  And please don't assume what I have and have not seen in my life.......
now your gonna say im a liar...haha,whaterer bro,yeah i laugh if someone trips,thats not really misfortune,misfortune would be if they tripped and knocked all thier teeth out on the curb when their face hit it,misfortune would be if you got a phone call and someone just told you one of your kids were dead,or your fukn house just went up in flames,thats misfortune bro,riding your bike at 120mph when a car cuts in front of you and you dont have time to react.....thats misfortune...never said he wasnt to blame but its still misfortunate....

So he would be moving 176 feet per second. Meaning he would have been airborne for just under 2 full seconds.  

If she were traveling at 60 miles per hour (or roughly half his speed) she would have only had 2 seconds at the most to react. He would have traveled 300-ish feet in 2 seconds (over her car).  It would take her 4 seconds to travel the same distance.  While he is in flight, she travels for the same 2 seconds, meaning when he lands she has only 2 seconds of her distance remaining.

Add in variables like: she was hit by a motorcycle doing 120 mph from behind - giving her some form of acceleration and possible (momentary) loss of control, then add the "I just got hit from behind" look in the rear view mirror reaction - it's possible she never saw him... but assuming she did see him, it was probably for 1 second and a half or less in a panic situation.

Couldn't have said it better. Looking at the damage to that car she was probably in shock and most likely didn't even realize she had run him over. I hate to see these things happen. When I do open her up I make sure there are no other vehicles in sight. This just shows how one bad decision can impact many lives. I hope he recovers and gets another chance to live for his sake and her's.
It is often said that a wise man learns from his mistakes but a smart man learns from other's mistakes. Be careful out there.

If she were traveling at 60 miles per hour (or roughly half his speed) she would have only had 2 seconds at the most to react. He would have traveled 300-ish feet in 2 seconds (over her car). It would take her 4 seconds to travel the same distance. While he is in flight, she travels for the same 2 seconds, meaning when he lands she has only 2 seconds of her distance remaining.

Thats what I was going to say!

Well, now that the majority of the drama is over....
Pretty stupid to be hauling 120+ on a public highway with innocent cagers/pedestrians/others on it. Its one thing to hit a back road with your buddies and ride like the wind when no one else will be involved. He's stupid. And to think the cager may have been at fault is pretty silly as well, assuming she changed lanes or didn't have her lights on etc... well guess what? If the rider was doing the speedlimit and being aware of his surroundings he would have been able to recover from either of those situations, thats why there are speed limits and laws etc. You want to feel sorry for the guy sure, but not to the point of pointing the finger at the cager. The cell phone thing cracks me up as well, just how far do you need to reach in assumptions in a weak attempt to make riding 120+ on public access roads with traffic the norm?

I hope the guys recovers and the lady does as well. I'm sure she will have nervous flashbacks anytime a MC approaches from behind on the roads now,thanks to Mr. Iwannado120+.

Man I see people riding like douchebags every single day on my commute.

They see the big black Busa and give me the biker "wave". I wave back to most of'em, if I see they aren't riding like asses.

Only takes a few irresponsible riders to give everyone a bad rep.

Pretty stupid to be hauling 120+ on a public highway with innocent cagers/pedestrians/others on it. Its one thing to hit a back road with your buddies and ride like the wind when no one else will be involved. He's stupid. And to think the cager may have been at fault is pretty silly as well, assuming she changed lanes or didn't have her lights on etc... well guess what? If the rider was doing the speedlimit and being aware of his surroundings he would have been able to recover from either of those situations, thats why there are speed limits and laws etc. You want to feel sorry for the guy sure, but not to the point of pointing the finger at the cager. The cell phone thing cracks me up as well, just how far do you need to reach in assumptions in a weak attempt to make riding 120+ on public access roads with traffic the norm?

I hope the guys recovers and the lady does as well. I'm sure she will have nervous flashbacks anytime a MC approaches from behind on the roads now,thanks to Mr. Iwannado120+.
+1

I think that pretty much summed it up.

Pretty stupid to be hauling 120+ on a public highway with innocent cagers/pedestrians/others on it.  Its one thing to hit a back road with your buddies and ride like the wind when no one else will be involved.  He's stupid.  And to think the cager may have been at fault is pretty silly as well, assuming she changed lanes or didn't have her lights on etc... well guess what?  If the rider was doing the speedlimit and being aware of his surroundings he would have been able to recover from either of those situations, thats why there are speed limits and laws etc.  You want to feel sorry for the guy sure, but not to the point of pointing the finger at the cager.  The cell phone thing cracks me up as well, just how far do you need to reach in assumptions in a weak attempt to make riding 120+ on public access roads with traffic the norm?  

I hope the guys recovers and the lady does as well.  I'm sure she will have nervous flashbacks anytime a MC approaches from behind on the roads now,thanks to Mr. Iwannado120+.
Yep, what he said!

Back