Squids go down in Albuquerque

E Zurcher

Registered
This weekend there were 4 squids that went down in Abq. One was racing another bikle and weaving in and out of traffic until he rear ended a car at over 100 mph. No helmet but will survive. Another was traveling over 100 Mph when his tried to slow down and his tire blew. He crashed into another bike while trying to catch up to the Toys for Tots run. Both will survive. Another crashed into a concrete barrier after cutting off a semi. He was not wearing a helmet and is in critical condition. I-25 and I-40 were shut down for hours thanks to these boneheads. I see them all the time here and I just shake my head. In town I am an indicated 5 over at 65 Mph or less and 10 over at 65 and over. This keeps me just a bit slower than the rest of the traffic but safe from the cops. Lots of crazies out there. Be careful and if you get a chance gently preach to the squids or squid wannabees that they are giving us sane folks a really bad name.

100mph and no helmet well i knocked myself senseless falling off a pushbike with a cycle helmet on !!

ill never understand the US helmet law or rather the lack of it

Some long time friends picked up a bike on Sunday and they don't wear helmets, husband and wife pair with 8 kids, 3 of the girls are still in their early teens and living at home. Makes no sense to me but it is their choice and I do believe they should be entitled to it. I believe in seatbelts to but I don't think there should be a law forcing us to wear one.
One of the subjects in the conversation at our dining stop was how hard the bugs were when they were hitting them all in the face and the guts were plastered all over it. My other riding buddy was wearing a 1/2 helmet he has a large windshield so he didn't think he would get hit..

When they turned and asked me "How bad you get hit ?"all I did was laugh and say I didn't feel a thing they didn't bother me at all, while I was wiping off my visor :laugh:

In the US we enjoy our liberties, regaurdless if they are actualy good for us or not. Some states have helmet laws some don't...

In my mind it is the responsibility of friends and family members to make these people understand the risks and consequences of their actions. Not the federal government.

If I break a nail, I start screaming like a baby and get the phone ready to call 911. Can't imagine the amount of pain from crashing without a helmet. Fail.

My only issue with any of this is that my insurance rates are based on those who don't.

Armor. Armor. Armor.

Gopr0068_800.jpg

Gopr0068_800.jpg

I'm a firm believer in the ATGATT rules (not laws). It is NOT the purpose of government to protect people from their own stupidity. If someone wants to ride without gear, that's their own choice.

I'm a firm believer in the ATGATT rules (not laws). It is NOT the purpose of government to protect people from their own stupidity. If someone wants to ride without gear, that's their own choice.

How would you remove the genetically deficient from breeding lines?

100mph and no helmet well i knocked myself senseless falling off a pushbike with a cycle helmet on !!

It's about freedom man!
If these retards choose not to wear a helmet that is their business. Why anyone wouldn't is beyond my scope of normal thinking so really don't care nor pay attention to it.

Insurance companies should ask you when you sign up if you ride with one on or not. If you say yes and get in a wreck without it they should not have to pay, regardless of fault. Why should the insurance company's and those of us who do ride with helmets have to pay higher prices because someone choose not to wear gear. If you choose to ride without gear you get no medical bills covered, only bike and property damage.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

Insurance companies should ask you when you sign up if you ride with one on or not. If you say yes and get in a wreck without it they should not have to pay, regardless of fault. Why should the insurance company's and those of us who do ride with helmets have to pay higher prices because someone choose not to wear gear. If you choose to ride without gear you get no medical bills covered, only bike and property damage.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

Because there is nothing on the books mandating it. If the state your riding in does not require protective gear or a helmet the insurance company cannot require it either.
Why should I or anyone have to meet your standards to ride? Just as you CHOOSE to wear gear someone else can CHOOSE to not wear it. As long as you both abide the laws where you are riding your both right. Opinions do not matter!!
Via Tapatalk

Because there is nothing on the books mandating it. If the state your riding in does not require protective gear or a helmet the insurance company cannot require it either.
Why should I or anyone have to meet your standards to ride? Just as you CHOOSE to wear gear someone else can CHOOSE to not wear it. As long as you both abide the laws where you are riding your both right. Opinions do not matter!!
Via Tapatalk

Im not saying you cant choose. You should be able too. Just that insurance rates should be higher for those who chose not to wear gear. Dont punish all riders for the ones who choose to ride with out gear. It should be a standerd insuarance question. Do you wear "X" amount of gear? If the answer is yes the you pay "X" amount, if no then your rates are higher as you are a higher risk.

Im not saying you cant choose. You should be able too. Just that insurance rates should be higher for those who chose not to wear gear. Dont punish all riders for the ones who choose to ride with out gear. It should be a standerd insuarance question. Do you wear "X" amount of gear? If the answer is yes the you pay "X" amount, if no then your rates are higher as you are a higher risk.

That is what was said about mandatory seatbelts and liability insurance laws. I have seen no reduction of insurance premiums as a result of either. Seems to me that the only result of any thing of this sort is higher profit margins for the insurance companies!

Maybe they should institute full roll cages and 5 point harnesses for all cages. It is proven beyond a shadow of a doubt on hundreds of race courses worldwide that they greatly increase the surviveablity of the drivers in case of a accident.

I am not against gear! I do believe that it is of great value in case of an off. I am not for penalizing someone because they choose to not dress like Casey Stoner every time they ride. That is the same kind of close mindedness that causes higher premiums for those that ride our type of bike. Just because you ride a high performance bike does not mean you are a better or worse rider than one on a cruiser. There's a thought! Outlaw sportbikes cause they are more dangerous than cruisers.

Get my point??

I'm not a legal expert but I would wager that insurance companies could do something like that if they wanted. They can discriminate against your for almost any other factor they want to gather statistics on.

Back