Local rider died last week

Kinda brings to mind the Darwin Awards...

If not familiar, is awarded annually to those who remove themselves from the gene pool in the most stupid manner imaginable. 1995 was my favorite-

The Arizona Highway Patrol were mystified when they came upon a pile of smoldering wreckage embedded in the side of a cliff rising above the road at the apex of a curve. The metal debris resembled the site of an airplane crash, but it turned out to be the vaporized remains of an automobile. The make of the vehicle was unidentifiable at the scene.

The folks in the lab finally figured out what it was, and pieced together the events that led up to its demise.

It seems that a former Air Force sergeant had somehow got hold of a JATO (Jet Assisted Take-Off) unit. JATO units are solid fuel rockets used to give heavy military transport airplanes an extra push for take-off from short airfields.

Dried desert lakebeds are the location of choice for breaking the world ground vehicle speed record. The sergeant took the JATO unit into the Arizona desert and found a long, straight stretch of road. He attached the JATO unit to his car, jumped in, accelerated to a high speed, and fired off the rocket.

The facts, as best as could be determined, are as follows:

The operator was driving a 1967 Chevy Impala. He ignited the JATO unit approximately 3.9 miles from the crash site. This was established by the location of a prominently scorched and melted strip of asphalt. The vehicle quickly reached a speed of between 250 and 300 mph and continued at that speed, under full power, for an additional 20-25 seconds. The soon-to-be pilot experienced G-forces usually reserved for dog-fighting F-14 jocks under full afterburners.

The Chevy remained on the straight highway for approximately 2.6 miles (15-20 seconds) before the driver applied the brakes, completely melting them, blowing the tires, and leaving thick rubber marks on the road surface. The vehicle then became airborne for an additional 1.3 miles, impacted the cliff face at a height of 125 feet, and left a blackened crater 3 feet deep in the rock.

Most of the driver's remains were not recovered; however, small fragments of bone, teeth, and hair were extracted from the crater, and fingernail and bone shards were removed from a piece of debris believed to be a portion of the steering wheel.

Ironically a still-legible bumper sticker was found, reading
"How do you like my driving? Dial 1-800-EAT-####."  
biggrin.gif
it's a funny story, but it's an urban legend. It was also on the TV show "Mythbusters" some time ago.....

check www.snopes.com

I think if his family was waiting for it to happen they either did one of two things...

they tried to talk some sense into him...

or they were just retarded and dident even attempt to stop this guy before he killed someone or himself or both...

either way its sad
down.gif
sounds like he had alot of problems...

Tough for me to feel the way you do having lost a cousin (well, Mike's cousin) while drunk, speeding and running from the cops...he did EVERYTHING wrong that night and paid the ultimate price, but he was adored and we miss him...it's tough when you've lost someone in that way; could have all been so easily avoided
sad.gif

I can understand the thoughts here though; outside looking in...no judgements on my part...
Sorry 'Chelle... I didn't realize.
sad.gif
No worries Ben...I just view things differently nowadays...
wink.gif

Wish like hell the guy had been smarter about riding or left his keys at home...no one should die like that, but I guess the only "good" thing about accidents like these occurs when they don't kill others along the way...
sad.gif

sad.gif

sad.gif

Any death of someone that is not evil is sad. Someone lost a son, possibly a father, brother, uncle, nephew when this guy died. Many lives were affected.
Who is to blame? Himself for sure, acting like an idiot has consequences. His buddies for letting him ride without a helmet? His parents? The local, municipal, state and federal government for allowing people to ride without helmets?
There are lots of arguements here, lots of finger pointing will always happen, but instead of shunning and condemning this poor fellow, how about focusing on making sure more dont die the same way?

I feel bad for him, as I feel bad for anyone that dies an unnecessary death. Yes, he was a dumbass for his actions, but he can't even go back and try again.

Amen...
down.gif

<!--EDIT|YH2K
Reason for Edit: None given...|1150753171 -->

He did and rode like he wanted too, so sad feelings -- NO ! I do feel sorry for his family and friends though. The price for doing really dumb things can get very pricie, and can be more than your able to handle . But your still free do do what you want
cool.gif

Now for our famous QUARTERBACK, well, for $40,000,000 and a whole team depending on him, he's just dumb for exposing himself to what he did. For $40,000,000 I could give up riding bikes REAL FAST  
biggrin.gif

Back