Livin up to my name...

CrashTestDanny

Registered
It started out like many other Saturday mornings - though I'm not normally late as I was this morning. I met BusaWhipped for breakfast at the T/A and had a pretty good meal and got finished in time to leave the T/A on schedule. I was doing alright. We pulled out and passed over the highway to get on the Eastbound ramp with BW in the lead.

Just after BW made the turn onto the ramp, I saw that there was a red pickup heading toward the ramp from the opposite direction. I wanted to stay together with BW, so I leaned aggressively into the turn applying power smoothly.

Suddenly, the ST came over hard, the back wheel slipping out from under her. With everything on the ground, I thought for a second that I could save it and began to try to put it back up. The the warning bells went off in my head and said "HIGH SIDE!"

So rather than risk the dreaded high side, I decided to keep the hand I had been dealy and go with the lowside. I separated from the bike and continued sliding on my left side. I may be biased, but I think this was about the most graceful get-off one could have with stands up.

Howver, I was a little concerned about that red pickup truck I mentioned earlier, so I rolled over - still sliding, mind you - and up onto my butt. The pickup was there, just as I remembered it, though a little closer and still headed straight for me. A little worried that the pickup might not care to stop, I stood up - still sliding - and walked toward the bike.

Oh - I forgot to mention the bike. Once it shed its top-heaviness (that'd be me), it balanced on three points (the two tires and the left tip-over wing) and just kept on rolling in a graceful circle toward the guard-rail! And that was where it was heading about the time I stood up...
SHOCKED.gif

Praise the Lord, He stopped the bike about a foot short of the guard rail and He protected me. Other than a little bruise on my hip and a little stiffness and soreness in my back and shoulders, I am uninjured. BusaWhipped stopped and helped me pick the bike up along with another stranger who also stopped to help.

The guy in the pickup, on the other hand, just moved right along, passing BW on the ramp. The truck that was behind me, likewise went around, completely ignoring the crash he had just witnessed. What's with people? I ALWAYS stop if I witness a crash even if it's just one vehicle... I always thought that was normal...

Luckily, the police officer had better things to do, too... He stopped and asked "Do you need me to make a report?"

No thanks, officer! Neither I nor the insurance company need a reminder of this little incident...

Nine hours and 310 miles down the road, here we are, hoping that I get this post up before BW posts his version...
tounge.gif

Now, here's today's object lesson: These things are always preceded by a momentary lapse of attention and judgment. Sure, there was a slick surface, but clearly this could have been navigated successfully (since BW did it less than a second before). I was focused on beating the truck and not paying any attention to anything else, this was the real cause of his morning's crash. It was a "graceful" crash with no real damages or injuries, which is nice, but it was still a crash and still the blame for such an incident lies entirely with the rider.

Though this is clearly the best kind of crash to have if you're going to have a crash, I must stand by my earlier statement that crashes SUCK HARD. My recommendation to avoid them at all costs stands.

This has been a public service announcement.

Sorry about the getoff Danny. Not all bad if you had slight damage and didn't get hurt.

lurk.gif
Waiting for BW's version, I mean the truth
laugh.gif
Glad you're alright and the bike made it through it.
super.gif

hate to hear you went down even if it was as graceful as you claim (come on BW and give us the truth
laugh.gif
) but i am glad you came out without too much damage
beerchug.gif

SHOCKED.gif
Glad you and the bike made it out ok.. You'll be sore tommorow for shore..

That just sucks.More important you're ok.As far as the people that didn't help
guns.gif

I would of helped you.... 

Glad you're OK, Dan! Tell Dennis to leave the fluff out!
laugh.gif

BTW guys - when your friends crash their STs and you go to pick them up - get low and put your butt on the saddle and she comes up easy. Otherwise, be prepared to get a hernia or a back injury.

Sounds like one of those 8 second Bull rides were the dude just bounces off and waves his hat. Good decision to lowside it. Glad it worked out
reletively painlessly.

Question: Have you had your suspension set up or was it just a matter of rolling on too much power?

Glad you're good CT!!
biggrin.gif

I thought you told me you were done with that sort of thing...
rock.gif
smile.gif

(Luvanicebum @ Jun. 30 2007,19:34) Sounds like one of those 8 second Bull rides were the dude just bounces off and waves his hat.  Good decision to lowside it.  Glad it worked out
reletively painlessly.  

Question:  Have you had your suspension set up or was it just a matter of rolling on too much power?
Actually, the suspension on my ST is something of an issue... To start with the ST's suspension has only two adjusters; the ride height or spring preload adjuster and a damping adjuster which I'm not sure if it's for rebound, compression, or both - I suspect both. These adjustments both apply to the rear shock - there is no adjustment on the forks. I have about 20k miles on the bike and every tire I've had on it has been badly cupped and needed replacing in 4k miles. I ran the first one 8k out of ignorance, but have since reduced my ignorance on the topic of tires.

Until recently I have run with the stock damping because there is simply no documentation I have found on what adjusting it really does. However, after the dragon, I really wanted to improve the ride (without spending $4k on new parts) and eliminate the cupping issue. So I turned the damping adjuster toward the side labeled "H" (purportedly H is for hard) halfway from the stock setting to full H. Next tire was badly cupped after 1,500 miles and died early to a screw. After seeing how hard H was on the tire, I went back to the same tire and turned the damping to the "S" side, again halfway between full S and stock. I am at just about 1k miles on that new tire now (haven't gotten to ride enough in June) so I don't know how it's affecting that problem, but the ride seems to me to be significantly smoother.

To make a long story short, I think I have my suspension working a lot better than it was, but I can't rule it out as having contributed to this morning's lowside. Still all my fault - I've ridden enough miles with this setting that I shouldn't be thrown by it...

(Shibumi @ Jun. 30 2007,19:52) Glad you're good CT!!  
biggrin.gif

I thought you told me you were done with that sort of thing...  
rock.gif

smile.gif
I did tell you that. But then this morning I realized I had never really done one of those graceful lowsides where the guy stands up and dusts himself off without a trip to the ER afterwards, so I figured it what about time!
crazy.gif

Danny - glad you are okay and the bike is good!

Any get off/crash one can walk away from is a good one!
Glad you are OK
beerchug.gif

Back