New Name

CrashTestDanny

Registered
Today I asked Cap to change my username from danf to CrashTestDanny.

This name is not a prediction of my motorcycling future, but rather a reflection of my past and hopefully an opportunity to spare my friends among the motorcycling community (that would include all of you) from some of the pains that I have experienced.

Recently, my friends on the ST owners' site responded with kind words, encouragement, and good advice when I asked "Am I mentally fit to continue riding?". That advice, the resolve I found from dropping the Steed at the top of BusaWhipped's driveway, and just riding comfortably at the dragon have given me a new outlook on my riding career.

As the new name might suggest, I have crashed. Many times, even. I have crashed street and dirt bikes as well as ATVs and cars. Low-sides, high-sides, head-on attacks into the grilles of the metal monsters, ground-loops from over-zealous attempts to wheelie over-powered and under-weight bikes - I have crashed in just about every way you can crash. And I have found that all of these crashes have several common features:

a - they damage motorcycles
b - they damage riders
c - they damage egos
d - they SUCK!

That's right, folks, crashes SUCK! Don't bother checking it out yourself. I've already done all the research you need - you won't find a better way to crash - they all SUCK! Now, I do hope that you all appreciate the sacrifices that I have made in performing all of this research for you. You can best demonstrate that appreciation by simply applying this advice: Do not crash!

Those who met me at the bash may remember that I was discussing my fear of left turns.  Ken Wheeler down at the gap helped me out with that and he didn't even know it. We were in there talking about dyno-tuning of a busa - which is way cool to watch - and I noticed the back of his T-shirt:

What do you call someone with no fear?

an ambulance  
[/Quote]

What this says to me is that my fear is keeping me from riding beyond my limits. Not only that, but my fears convinced me to maintain an extra margin of safety for a particularly challenging and dangerous road. As a result, when I came around a blind left-hand turn to find a (BIG White Gold Wing | Big Blue Harley | REALLY BIG pickup truck) going the wrong way in my lane, I had plenty of time to make sure that none of them ruined my day. Had I been doing the whole 11 miles in 12 minutes trying to keep up with BusaWhipped, the outcome might have been much worse.  So thanks to Wheeler's shirt and your comments, I have learned to be more comfortable with my fear.  I know I can make double the posted speed or better around tight corners, but I also know there's good reasons to take it a bit easier than that.

Finally, what's a fat kid riding a barco-lounger (ST-1300) doing hanging around hayabusa.org?  Well, Dennis (that's what I call BusaWhipped) is my best friend and as such, he dragged me to the dragon with him for the busa bash.  After hanging around with all you guys for a few days, I discovered that you're a fantastic bunch of folks and I like hanging around with y'all.  So now you're stuck with me, though I don't think I can handle a busa so you'll just have to tolerate me riding my barco-lounger.  
biggrin.gif

Anyhow, that's all for now folks, but remember; if you have any curiosity about crashes, check with me rather than going off gathering data for yourselves. Chances are I can answer all your questions and save you the expense and pain of duplicating all that effort.

Keep the shiny side up!

Now Dan, why couldn't we have had this conversation on Wed of last week?? It was good to meet and talk to you; both you and Dennis actually. Stick around for awhile and keep on coming to the Bash - I am convinced that I couldn't find a better group of people if I tried...

Dan is good people. I had the privilage of riding to the bash with him and BusaWhipped. I had the opportunity to speak to him and pick on him about a few of his crashes. I too am just getting my courage back in corners and Dennis convinced me to come to the bash along with a few other people here and I had a blast. I am still working on left turns. I feel confident in rights but I still take lefts slower. I feel like a much better rider after going to the gap. I rode my ride and worked on my skills.

Dan, no matter what you ride, you are welcome here. As you saw at the gap, these guys are the best. I know that any of these guys would have my back if I ever needed a favor. It is a FAMILY here.

Oh yeah - Fate!  He rode in the SUV with us!

Good guy - but I don't think he was working too hard on the left-hand turns in this pic...

biggrin.gif

Thanks for an interesting time, Mike!

FateAsleepInCar.jpg

Dan,

it wa a pleasure meetin ya and gettin in a few rides with ya. stay on ur horse and that confidence that u think u have lost will come right back to ya without any prollems!!!!

That's right, folks, crashes SUCK! Don't bother checking it out yourself. I've already done all the research you need - you won't find a better way to crash - they all SUCK! Now, I do hope that you all appreciate the sacrifices that I have made in performing all of this research for you. You can best demonstrate that appreciation by simply applying this advice: Do not crash!
[/Quote]

good advise.
beerchug.gif

With all that has happened lately this is definitely something to keep in mind. Thanks for posting.

(CrashTestDanny @ May 02 2007,19:56) Oh yeah - Fate!  He rode in the SUV with us!

Good guy - but I don't think he was working too hard on the left-hand turns in this pic...

biggrin.gif

He was good people till he posted this Pic!!!!

LOL
firedevil.gif
firedevil.gif
firedevil.gif

firedevil.gif

firedevil.gif

Good advice, however, you a little LATE!
laugh.gif
No, I didn't just crash, you guys can relax. But in 30+ years and countless miles (street, dirt, and track), I've had my share of 'crash experiences'.

While crashing sux, keep in mind that if you walked away, you definitely learned something. Hopefully, this new knowledge will keep you from crashing the next time under similiar circumstances.

There are 2 kinds of riders......

(CrashTestDanny @ May 02 2007,21:30) Finally, what's a fat kid riding a barco-lounger (ST-1300) doing hanging around hayabusa.org?  Well, Dennis (that's what I call BusaWhipped) is my best friend and as such, he dragged me to the dragon with him for the busa bash.  After hanging around with all you guys for a few days, I discovered that you're a fantastic bunch of folks and I like hanging around with y'all.  So now you're stuck with me, though I don't think I can handle a busa so you'll just have to tolerate me riding my barco-lounger.  
biggrin.gif
I'm sorry guys.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Well Dennis, you did bring him - and his dang ST!
laugh.gif

I'll do my best on your advise,been 29 years since I crashed,its not fun.I still remember the healing.And yes the ST is an awsum bike
super.gif

Right on, Dan. Thanks for the wisdom. One can never get enough of good advice.

Was good meeting you and you are always welcome here, Brother.
beerchug.gif

(GIXERHP @ May 02 2007,22:46)
(CrashTestDanny @ May 02 2007,19:56) Oh yeah - Fate!  He rode in the SUV with us!

biggrin.gif

He was good people till he posted this Pic!!!!

LOL
firedevil.gif

firedevil.gif

firedevil.gif
Yep, I retract my last statement
guns.gif

firedevil.gif

firedevil.gif

Back