How to get a bus in a pickup

FloydV

Donating Member
Registered
I have a sturdy set of ramps that you can use to ride a lawnmower up into a pickup truck. My thought was that I could have the bus pull itself up one ramp while I walked up the other holding the handle bars.

Then again, maybe those two sleeping pills I took haven't worn off yet.
tounge.gif

You can probably manage with what you have described, but you should seek assistance to be safe. Do you have a small ditch or swale you can back the truck into to put the gate closer to the ground? Once you get the bike loaded, make sure the front fender doesn't hit/rub the front of the bed.

You can probably manage with what you have described, but you should seek assistance to be safe. Do you have a small ditch or swale you can back the truck into to put the gate closer to the ground? Once you get the bike loaded, make sure the front fender doesn't hit/rub the front of the bed.
Getting the gate lower is a good idea, hadn't thought about it. I think I'll get a couple of guys to play catch in case I screw it up.

I did something similar a long time ago and I got a Sporster up pretty easily (they weigh about the same). Once I get it in, I'll use four tie downs to hold it in place.

Sounds good, but it's been my experience that it's harder getting one out of a truck bed than in.

I have used a couple of 2x10's as ramps to drive the front of the truck up on some cinder blocks. ALso have used a floor jack to raise the front of the truck. makes for a better angle of attack. Also take the tailgate off, lay the ramps on the step bumper & use ratchet tie downs wrapped around the ramps & hooked to the truck frame or bumper to keep the ramps in place.

I have used a couple of 2x10's as ramps to drive the front of the truck up on some cinder blocks. ALso have used a floor jack to raise the front of the truck. makes for a better angle of attack. Also take the tailgate off, lay the ramps on the step  bumper & use ratchet tie downs wrapped around the ramps & hooked to the truck frame or bumper to keep the ramps in place.
Cool, I would never have thought of driving the truck up on blocks. I have a floor jack too. Thanks.

Loaded "My Baby" into a truck with ramps, not an issue. Just rode her up the ramp and had a couple of friends waiting to catch me. Also had a 4x4 to stop her from hitting front fender on the box. Taking her out was a different story though. I am pretty comfortable going backwards on a bike, but I would recommend at least 3 friends to help here. You on the bike, one behind, one on either side and ride that front brake all the way down. Not hard, just different.

Do yourself a favor, go get a small landscaping trailer from Lowes or Home Depot...

5x10 trailer $650

Drop the Busa costs A bunch of $$$, not to mention any damage to the truck

I have used a couple of 2x10's as ramps to drive the front of the truck up on some cinder blocks. ALso have used a floor jack to raise the front of the truck. makes for a better angle of attack. Also take the tailgate off, lay the ramps on the step  bumper & use ratchet tie downs wrapped around the ramps & hooked to the truck frame or bumper to keep the ramps in place.
Cool, I would never have thought of driving the truck up on blocks. I have a floor jack too. Thanks.
It's not that complicated really. Just pull the truck to the bottom of a driveway, such that the back tires are down in the curb (if you've got one), then put the ramps up. You won't have to go near as high as normal. Then get two or three guys and get a nice rolling start and go.

One guy jumps in to bed as bike rolls up and in, this guy should have access to brake to prevent rolling down the ramp or into back of bed. One guy can be in back pushing and the other can be on the other side pushing and helping maintain balance.

Like they said, getting it out is a little trickier, but still not rocket science. Good luck!

I think you should stunt it.

Build a small ramp about 50 feet from the pickiup. Gun the 'Busa up to about 70mph and jump the ramp while pulling a monster wheelie. Should drop into the back of the truck no problem.

Let me know how it works out.

And remember, we like pics of these things.

Build a small ramp about 50 feet from the pickiup. Gun the 'Busa up to about 70mph and jump the ramp while pulling a monster wheelie. Should drop into the back of the truck no problem.

Will do
smile.gif

Will do
smile.gif

Do yourself a favor, go get a small landscaping trailer from Lowes or Home Depot...

5x10 trailer  $650

Drop the Busa costs A bunch of $$$, not to mention any damage to the truck
+1
Yeah, had one once. It sat around 99% of the time rusting up and looking ugly, with grass growing under it. Gave it away a long time ago.

I think this will work with enough people to play catch just in case. Same on the other end of course.

Back