Little bit of smarts requested

RYC1966

Donating Member
Registered
I have a 2003 Silverado 5.3 2wd automatic...I added a whipple supercharger when I first bought it... which now makes most shops look under the hood and say good luck. In the great state of Ohio the epa / echeck scans codes and gives the exh a sniffer test. So my question is I keep getting a code of bank 1 and 2 lean out = to me I can tweak the injectors to "not lean out" at that point the closed loop system will be happy...

Does anybody have experience with the fuel inj values? I recall changing the milliamps...up / down...and what percent I am unsure of? Just a 5% up or down may solve the issue or some other magic wand may help the check eng light....

Any help is appreciated...Ryan

Do you have a shop that doesnt mind bending the rules? Park a normal car next to your truck for the sniffer!! :laugh:

I sent a link to a mechanic friend that has been built an 06 supercharged GTO with 600hp to the wheels, Ill post up if he has any ideas.

when last time you changed fuel filter or checked pvc valve line for a leak? fuel pressure checked?

If you have dual 02 sensors try swapping them and see if codes move banks...

is the exhaust cut on the truck? are o2's close to head or near exhaust exit?

k&n air filter or dry filter?

Got this from a smarter guy than me.

"Need to know what software he is using to tune it. Also if he removed the maf when it was installed. Lean codes are often vacuum leaks."

My last effort included new plugs and wires...I cleaned the maf and throttle body part with the correct cleaners...yesterday I replaced the maf and that code went away. The one that remains is the lean out bank 1 and 2. I will remove and wire wheel the o2 sensors to see what that does. The tuner I have is a diablosport.

Could be slow or unresponsive 02 so the wheel will fix that. O2 sensors extensions will also slow the response down. hopefully the wheel will work for ya.

Do you have a shop that doesnt mind bending the rules? Park a normal car next to your truck for the sniffer!! :laugh:

I sent a link to a mechanic friend that has been built an 06 supercharged GTO with 600hp to the wheels, Ill post up if he has any ideas.

Thanks for the flashback of memories, Used to do this when I lived in New Jersey and had a pretty wild 77 Trans Am that would send the c02 and monoxide sniffer in to cardiac arrest if it was ever entered into the exhaust.
Had a buddy that was a state registered inspecter and thats how I got my yearly nj inspection sticker:beerchug:

I know my current car will throw a bank code. But its due to the 02 sensors. 1 before the cats and 1 after the cats its looking for a difference. It wants to stinky air before the cats and clean fresh air after the cats. What guys do are remove the 02 after the cat and allow it to sense clean air. If you know the resistance that sensor is looking for to make it happy then place a resistor with that value inline. ECU controlled is easy to get rid of codes you just need to supply it with the correct resistance which can be accomplished with a little electronics knowledge and your local Radio Shack

I was away for the weekend...no phone / cpu (highly recommended if possible)...for the generic state of issues....I now get a high idle code...the maf / bank 1 + 2 out of range went away... I would totally solder in a resistor if I knew the value...the truck runs great...the bs issues is the county where I live...I bought 650 worth of eng parts...it runs very nice...the waiver price is 250...so I am ok...just being picky I'd like to have it not throw codes and run for a few more years....pics for rsd in his tire thread soon....

I used a propane and a 4 ft vac line...it works and is new to me...just thought I'd share so some people can save some money before taking a car to a shop...

To Find A Vacuum Leak - EricTheCarGuy - YouTube[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Back