Lithium Battery

Chipwizard

Registered
Has anyone actually used one with any success yet?

I did a search and found enough people 'going to do it' but none that reported they had and how it fared...

Thanks in advance

Here you go............. Works just fine and lost 9 pounds from my stock battery and it even started my bike one day when it was in the single digits!

IMG_1081.jpg

9 pounds... are you on a race circut that weight means that much? I would rather have my bike run and start for 2 plus years on 1 battery with no worries

Its a battery.......... does what it's suppose to do and happens to be very light in comparison. Yes it costs more but thats technology for ya! Specs are (pulse discharge @ 10 seconds = 240 amps.)

no problems for day to day use. Battery tech has really come a long way. These save weight and provide consistant voltage.

I wonder how they protect themselves against over charging. Lithium batteries normally need a change controller.
Posted via Mobile Device

There are many different types of lithium cells, and yes, most of them are dead if overcharged or undercharged. The A123 doesn't have that problem. They do become unbalanced over time. Most of the sealed batteries sold for Motorcycle use don't bother with balancing, but I build them with balancing leads to extend the life.

There are many different types of lithium cells, and yes, most of them are dead if overcharged or undercharged. The A123 doesn't have that problem. They do become unbalanced over time. Most of the sealed batteries sold for Motorcycle use don't bother with balancing, but I build them with balancing leads to extend the life.

So how long would one of yours last vs. a Standard Yuasa AGM lead acid ?

If you're strictly comparing longevity vs. cost between A123's and lead acid the lead acid would win out unless you build a battery system like Draco did.
If you factor in the weight reduction, space reduction, increased voltage stability, and purpose then lead acid will loose out.

What is the mAh of the A123's that you use? I couldn't find those at the cheap Chinese supplier I use for various things but found some decent mAh protected 18650 cells. Seems like a good emergency jump box of sorts to build and keep in the bike. DealExtreme: $8.01 TrustFire Protected 18650 Lithium Battery (2500mAh 2-Pack Blue)

at 2500mah (2.5Ah) and 4.6v, you would need to link them in series chains of 3 (to get over 12v) and if you linked 12 of them (4 parallel chains of 3) you would have a total reserve of 10Ah, if you linked 9 of them (3 parallel chains of 3) you would get 7.5Ah

How well do these hold a charge after 2-3 months of sitting up.

If left unplugged, they should only loose about 1-5% of their total charge per year of sitting idle. Plugged in with background amp draw (ECU, cluster ect.) they should fair about the same as a comparable battery (think YZ14s)

Back