Lithium Battery

I was PMd regarding a couple of questions. Cheapest source of A123 batteries are out of used Dewault 24V Drill batteries. The 24V bats are actually 8 x 3.3 V batteries in series. You can find these at garage sales or Ebay for short money. Rip em appart to get the batteries. Rewire the 8 to 2x4 or build a 12 cell 3x4 for big bore applications. A 2x4 works fine for stock bore / stroke. Buying "new" cells can be a crap shoot. There are many counterfeits out there from Taiwan.

Balancing a battery is important for extending the life of LiFe ion batts. If one cell is down to 2.9, but the others are at 3.2, then the result is a battery that doesn't charge to its full capacity. You can go into the cells and measure there inidividual voltages and correct them to fix this problem, but most of the systems you buy for motorcycle applications just shrink rap the whole package. That's hack. If you make your own, you can solder up individual leads to one side of each cell (assume a common ground) for balancing. Hope this helps.

I get about 7 years of consistent stable life out of my stock bike batteries with a battery tender. It sounds like for a street driven bike the lithiums aren't really worth the hassle?

I get about 7 years of consistent stable life out of my stock bike batteries with a battery tender. It sounds like for a street driven bike the lithiums aren't really worth the hassle?

It's more about having a batt that is 10lbs lighter than having one that lasts for a decade.

I build them out of 8 A123 cells. 2 rows of 4 in series. Cost me $70 for the cells.

I work at a battery store and don't quite know how this is working:whistle: but you can get 2 for $4.29 so you are over paying. And the battery is a 1/2 aa in size

Last edited:
I work at a battery store and don't quite know how this is working:whistle: but you can get 2 for $4.29 so you are over paying. And the battery is a 1/2 aa in size

This is what makes me think an 18650 would be a better option.

Back