ABS Error with Lithium Battery

bcarpman

Registered
Ok, this is a weird one. I replaced my conventional battery with a Battery Tender Lithium. First ride the ABS light comes on. I checked the error codes and it was 47: Over voltage. I followed the trouble shooting and everything looks good. I deleted the error code, and after a couple of miles, it came back on. I've done it a couple of times. Always the same error 47, always deletes until a couple miles into the next ride.

Here's where it gets weird. I put the stock battery back in and the light stays off. The only place a Lithium battery will show more voltage is resting (13.4v vs 12.7). Anyone know the ABS system enough to make some recommendations? Company that makes the battery was clueless. Has anyone else run a lithium battery on a ABS Hayabusa?

Yes. No issues for 2 yrs
20190303_081041.jpg

Ok, this is a weird one. I replaced my conventional battery with a Battery Tender Lithium. First ride the ABS light comes on. I checked the error codes and it was 47: Over voltage. I followed the trouble shooting and everything looks good. I deleted the error code, and after a couple of miles, it came back on. I've done it a couple of times. Always the same error 47, always deletes until a couple miles into the next ride.

Here's where it gets weird. I put the stock battery back in and the light stays off. The only place a Lithium battery will show more voltage is resting (13.4v vs 12.7). Anyone know the ABS system enough to make some recommendations? Company that makes the battery was clueless. Has anyone else run a lithium battery on a ABS Hayabusa?
your bike electrical system must have over voltage fault code so you need to place a voltmeter on your bike and run it to see how high volts it reads when running your lithium battery when the abs light comes on this will confirm over voltage , you dont want anything over 14.7v typically for lead acid

your bike electrical system must have over voltage fault code so you need to place a voltmeter on your bike and run it to see how high volts it reads when running your lithium battery when the abs light comes on this will confirm over voltage , you dont want anything over 14.7v typically for lead acid
I've already checked everything following the Troubleshooting section of the Blue ABS section. Voltage stays easily in spec at all times. The fact that the error disappears when I put the Lead Acid battery back in makes no sense. Battery should have nothing to do with running voltage (and according to my volt meter it doesn't')

I've already checked everything following the Troubleshooting section of the Blue ABS section. Voltage stays easily in spec at all times. The fact that the error disappears when I put the Lead Acid battery back in makes no sense. Battery should have nothing to do with running voltage (and according to my volt meter it doesn't')
If you have a bad cell in battery it could definitely cause an overcharge when the bike is under load. You said u tested it and everything stayed in spec, was that with the volt meter hooked up at the battery while riding the bike? I've had plenty of batteries at work load test fine only later to find out there was actually a problem with the battery and it was the cause of overcharging. Now this was on commercial lawn mower engines but they run the same basic type of setup as a bike and recently one of our companies started using the lithium batteries as an option on some mowers and a couple of those had the same issue when under load.

@bcarpman

did you check the loading volts already ?

at a lot of gen1 we had that issue - they had 14.8 - 15.7 v and all over 14.9 v is deathyfying to the battery.
no matter what kind of - acid/lifepo/pure lead ("hawker") - you have installed.

regard that the gen2 charging system in general is equal to gen1´s
so the issue of overcharging can come up at your gen2 (abs or not) too - not found yet but possible i suppose

against that issue of overcharging a busa-rider here in berlin found the solution to limit the voltage at 14.2V
all descibed here at my homepage

may help - hope so

If you have a bad cell in battery it could definitely cause an overcharge when the bike is under load. You said u tested it and everything stayed in spec, was that with the volt meter hooked up at the battery while riding the bike? I've had plenty of batteries at work load test fine only later to find out there was actually a problem with the battery and it was the cause of overcharging. Now this was on commercial lawn mower engines but they run the same basic type of setup as a bike and recently one of our companies started using the lithium batteries as an option on some mowers and a couple of those had the same issue when under load.
I did not try under load. Just the rev to 5000 rpm test that the ABS manual specifies. I guess I need to mount the multimeter to the handlebars and take a ride. Seems strange that the voltage would increase under load, but good idea.

@bcarpman

did you check the loading volts already ?

at a lot of gen1 we had that issue - they had 14.8 - 15.7 v and all over 14.9 v is deathyfying to the battery.
no matter what kind of - acid/lifepo/pure lead ("hawker") - you have installed.

regard that the gen2 charging system in general is equal to gen1´s
so the issue of overcharging can come up at your gen2 (abs or not) too - not found yet but possible i suppose

against that issue of overcharging a busa-rider here in berlin found the solution to limit the voltage at 14.2V
all descibed here at my homepage

may help - hope so
Thanks. Will check out max voltage under load and look at that solution

I did not try under load. Just the rev to 5000 rpm test that the ABS manual specifies. I guess I need to mount the multimeter to the handlebars and take a ride. Seems strange that the voltage would increase under load, but good idea.
I'm gonna guess it's the new battery and if u throw a different lithium one in there it probably wouldn't do it. In my shop we sell a lot of batteries for equipment so it's not unusual to get a bad one right off the shelf. That being said I would also go thru and do all the tests on the stator just for peace of mind, a buddies gixxer was giving him issues last year where it would die after sitting and he thought it was his battery because he tested the charging and it was reading fine so when I showed up I tested the stator leads and found one was shorted to ground so it was still charging but was killing the battery after sitting. I don't think that's anything with what your experiencing but since the connectors are known to melt and your in there anyway it couldn't hurt to check everything over.

Must be the battery especially if the stock agm battery doesn't cause the same condition...

So I took another ride with the stock battery, which barely started (reason I was replacing it), and still no error code. Actually I got an under voltage ABS code at start, that went away after riding. Interesting that the ABS module is so much more sensitive to voltage fluctuations than the ECU.

I also checked voltage while riding and it never got over 14.6v.

One other question. I want to double check the output from the stator, but I can't find the "Generator Coupler" It does not seem to be where the manual shows it, but that part of the manual also does not show the ABS module, so I'm wondering if there's something special about the location of the Generator Coupler on the ABS bikes? Do I have to remove the ABS module to test the Stator?

I'm beginning to feel like the ABS was not well thought out on this bike :(

@bcarpman

lift the tank, put off the lh fairing, get a handlight and follow the little 5-wire harness from stator cover to the main harness under the tank at lh side.
there you´ll find two couplers
one 3-point and one 2-point
unplug the 3-point and check the AC-voltage from generator/stator between the 3 yellows as described in the manual (~60-70V) at diff. rpm

at the moment i´m not sure if the abs-module covers this couplers or not, sorry.

Back