Lithium Ion bike batteries

An interesting thing I found about a LiPo battery for my RC truck....it was too light....I put the LiPo battery in and the truck wasn't handling worth a darn, a friend of mine commented that the battery weight has thrown off the center of gravity (the battery sits at the bottom the chassis.

I put in the old school battery and the truck handled like it used to...

Who'd a thought?

As for getting a LiPo battery for the bike, I'm sticking to the OEM lead acid one for now, saving a couple pounds under that seat is appealing though...

How do the Li-on batteries do with a draw from accessories?
My charging system runs at 14.7 volts but with the heated jacket liner and gloves it drops down to 13.2 to 13.7 on the highway.
The regular battery stays charged.
The weight savings and longer life of a Li-on is attractive though.

cheers
ken

How do the Li-on batteries do with a draw from accessories?
My charging system runs at 14.7 volts but with the heated jacket liner and gloves it drops down to 13.2 to 13.7 on the highway.
The regular battery stays charged.
The weight savings and longer life of a Li-on is attractive though.

cheers
ken
The put out more power, faster. They give lots of power until they are just done. The reality is that your limiting factor on riding is the charging system capacity. If you draw more than it produces it ultimately doesn't matter what battery you have, it will go flat.

The put out more power, faster. They give lots of power until they are just done. The reality is that your limiting factor on riding is the charging system capacity. If you draw more than it produces it ultimately doesn't matter what battery you have, it will go flat.
I switched to LiPo on my cordless tools....the difference was night and day..lighter, last longer and then dies when depleted (unlike the other batteries that slowly got weaker then died).

Over time their operating duration has dropped off quite a bit....I used to get a good couple hours of continuous use, now I get around an hour or less.

generally

the lifepo fears all volts over 14.5 v - higher charged and the lifepo may stay with u for 6-8000 kms
then it may die.
had that with my ´90 fj1200 - at a milage of around 8000 kms the lifepo was dead / burned,
because the generator of the fj tends to load way over 15.0 volts (up to 17 v) and that kills every lifepo very fast.

what you have to do is make sure that the gen1 busa´s charging voltage can never rise above 14.4 volts.
and i found the way
i described it here at my homepage. VERY helpful!
(keyword : voltage regulator of the 1100 double-x firebird)

if that solution for the gen1 also can help at the gen2, i don´t know at the moment, but i suppose so.

and
every lifepo needs after a night in the yard 1.5 - 2 minute with light (low beam) ON to get "warm / a bit temperature" to have the full power.
crazy but a fact.
then my 6ah lifepo has around 330 a - the so called "cold start power"

men?
the starter motor - figuratively speaking - is more or less begging for mercy and that i don't hit him on the head like that - great!

Back