Let's argue about helmets....

Just the thought of not being able to eat, because I have no lower jaw from a motorcycle accident, will convince me that you should wear one all the time.

I have not been out this year without one. I used to like to do a quick ride without it just for the feel of being in the open air but I don't even like doing that anymore. You do not have to wear a helmet in Minnesota and I have to say I am good with that. We have enough laws on the books. I bought myself a good helmet last year and what a difference that makes. Sure is nice to have on something comfortable.

I just don't understand how anyone could not wear a helmet. Not to judge people for making that choice, but I just don't get it. The human body is surprisingly fragile with respect to the situations we put ourselves in each day.

Short of the grace of God, my helmet was the ONLY reason I walked away from this crash.

View attachment 274666

View attachment 274667

Holy hell batman!
Glad you walked away from that one!

Riding with sunglasses is something I never could understand, the wind makes its way past at 20ish Mph. How does not seeing make the ride better?

-D

The folks that live in states that allow you to make the choice of helmet or not, most know the inherent risk associated with not having a helmet on. The argument re: paying higher costs for their decision to not wear a helmet is kind of a moot point. We pay extra for all kinds of bad decisions. Distracted driving, jaywalking, smoking cigarettes, too much booze, trampolines, climbing on a crappy ladder, etc....the list can go on. How much extra does it cost me? I have no clue. I am responsible for my choice and no one else is. Have I ever ridden without a helmet, yes of course. As we all have. Did it feel good to me? Yes it did. But again I knew the potential risks involved.

Well, that's my opinion anyway!!

A crude/oversimplified demo but gets the point across loud and clear :) Being in the Navy and in the medical field, the choice for me is obvious/easy.

One of the reasons other then safety (which is obvious) IS that I don't like eating bugs.

How many of you have come back from a ride with no bugs on your body somewhere?
Even on a short ride there are plenty on my helmet and jacket.

So even thought I can ride without a helmet in my state I wouldn't want to because I don't like eating or wearing bugs. :rofl:

One other thing is, unless you are going to wear swimming goggles there is almost no way that sunglasses would give you
clear vision especially above triple digits. Eyes watering make my vision blurry. How about you?

Here in Canada, helmets are manditory. Was riding through Montana and decided to take my helmet off. Felt so wierd and uneasy even going slow through a National Park next turn off pulled over and put helmet right back on.

I dont giv a crap wat the law states (and CT has no helmet law) I wear a helmet cause ur face looks like pizza when sliding across the highway at 80 mph.:moon:

I have my opinion on helmets jus like everyone else does but I did fatal accident reconstruction for many years in the traffic division and I can say with 100% certainty that the primary reason ppl die on MC's is due to them NOT wearing a hemet. head injuries are the main cause of death period.

and that doesn't even scratch the surface of how many ppl suffered head and facial injuries that lived but are disfigured for the rest of their life. all because you wanted to feel the wind in ur face and be free..... woopde-do!

hey, I tell ppl its their life, if they wanna be disfigured or dead then go ride ur MC without a helmet. pretty good chance it will happen. statistics don't mean chit. what happens to you is what matters. not everyone else together.

but, I don't think the state shud be dictating who wears a helmet, seatbelt etc.... either. I woman told me today that she doesn't wear her seatbelt cause she feels like it cuts her under her neck. IDK where she gets that from but I told her the glass from the windshield will also cut ur neck and severe ur corroded artery....:whistle:

It would also be interesting to hear from folk on how much they are prepared to pay for a helmet. Over here in the UK we have stores like Aldi & Lidl that sell helmets for as little as £30, which is about $50...not sure I'd be prepared to go as low as that but it all depends on how much value you put on your life I suppose.:laugh:

I ride with a lid however I do appreciate there not being a law requiring it. That one time I got stuck in traffic in bike in Daytona moving 5 feet every 20 minutes for 2 miles would have been worse as the temp was at 87

I ride with a lid however I do appreciate there not being a law requiring it. That one time I got stuck in traffic in bike in Daytona moving 5 feet every 20 minutes for 2 miles would have been worse as the temp was at 87

Is it legal to filter through traffic on a bike in the US?

It would also be interesting to hear from folk on how much they are prepared to pay for a helmet. Over here in the UK we have stores like Aldi & Lidl that sell helmets for as little as £30, which is about $50...not sure I'd be prepared to go as low as that but it all depends on how much value you put on your life I suppose.:laugh:

My most expensive helmet is an Arai Corsair V, which I think was close to $800... I rarely wear that one because I prefer the fit of my less expensive Shoei RF-1100. My last three go-to helmets have been a Shoei RF-1000 and two RF-1100s. I can tell you Shoei's products have saved my head on two occasions. Once from a pretty hard impact against a guardrail and pavement while traveling 50 MPH, and once from a lowside slide across a wet racetrack and grass at around 80 MPH. I paid around $400 for each of those helmets, and I'm glad I didn't cheap out.

For me, it's more about the brand than the price. That's still probably not the most educated way to make a decision on it, but certain brands just have a reputation for good quality. I've owned Arai, Shoei, and HJC fullface helmets. The HJC lids seemed like significantly lower quality than the others, but I never crashed in them. :laugh:

Being the free-spirited easy going I couldn't give a rats patootie as to what anyone else other than my wife and daughter do person, I purchase and wear the best possible equipment available within my price point and then some...:whistle: I have been the recipient of get-offs and have seen the tragic results of simple mishaps...I have too much to loose and am not willing to comprimise my safety. I cannot control the actions of others on the road, I can take the precautions to minimize the results of their actions.
That being said, assume the responsibilities and be held accountable for such actions. Humans are inherent risk takers and luck pushers due to lack of common sense, intelligence or just don't care. What's right for me may not be for others...and I'm good w/ that. Don't come cryin' to me when your watermelon splits.

This past Sunday, we lost a local news/weather chief meteorologist due to a bicycle get off....suffered traumatic head injury and died. He was not wearing a helmet, that was his choice.

NBC2's Jim Reif dies after tragic bicycle accident - NBC-2.com WBBH News for Fort Myers, Cape Coral & Naples, Florida

My most expensive helmet is an Arai Corsair V, which I think was close to $800... I rarely wear that one because I prefer the fit of my less expensive Shoei RF-1100.

If you like the RF-1100 you won't like the Corsair V (at least I don't) you're probably a Signet Q head like myself. :laugh:

If you like the RF-1100 you won't like the Corsair V (at least I don't) you're probably a Signet Q head like myself. :laugh:

My single biggest complaint is the way the chin strap fits on the Corsair V. I think it mounts too low in the shell. Either that or my chin isn't big enough.

I am not such a believer of the more expensive, the more it protects your head idea. As long as they have the same certifications, one helmet is not more protective just because it cost $500 vs $300. I have this argument because I am a BIG Scorpion fan. I have now purchased 3 Scorpion helmets in the last 1.5 years... I have an EXO-1000, and two EXO-400's. The EXO-400 is the budget level helmet, but the quality of the helmet is fantastic! I use the EXO-400 as my track helmet. They are quiet, comfortable, inexpensive, and really well made...

I bought my last EXO-400 when it went on CRAZY close-out for $100. Does that mean my head isn't proctected? Negative, I smacked my face on the pavement at about 80 mph in the thing and didn't even get a headache. It held up better than my $1k A-stars suit :)

Back