Let's argue about helmets....

I didn't need a study. IMHO, if you don't want to wear a helmet then you should sign a waiver that keeps you from collecting from any insurance. But nooooo, I get to pay for the stupidity as well. I guess folks could make similar comments on bikes capable of reaching 200 M.P.H. too :laugh:

Idk? Slippery slope I guess.... I always wear a helmet just because of things I've seen 1st hand with my friends and how a helmet literally saved their lives. no crazy riding or excessive speeding, just a normal trip on the bike same route same actions taken a hundred times b4 and BAM down he went inexplicably?? So even if I'm going 3 blocks down the street on a city street 2 the gas station I throw on my helmet @ a minimum :whistle:

What I don't understand is how seat belt laws are passed pretty much Nationwide but helmet laws are sporadic throughout? Take PA for instance they have a mandatory seat belt law but no Helmet law 4 motorcycles?? Why enforce 1 for so called safety reasons but not the other??

I would imagine the squeaky wheel gets greased along with a few politicians palms :whistle:

I wear what I feel comfortable wearing.
I understand the helmet debate from 2 sides. the Harley riding, ABATE/freedom of choice, side; and the I ride a Hayabusa and spent almost $500 on my helmet, side.

personally I encourage motorcyclist to get a good quality helmet. get a good one! spend more than $100. try out a $350 helmet. there IS a difference. and you cant find a warmer riding hat.

do I wear my helmet ALL the time?
No.
but I do wear it most of the time.

I have gotten so used to wearing the thing, I feel strange without it on.

I wear what I feel comfortable wearing.
I understand the helmet debate from 2 sides. the Harley riding, ABATE/freedom of choice, side; and the I ride a Hayabusa and spent almost $500 on my helmet, side.

personally I encourage motorcyclist to get a good quality helmet. get a good one! spend more than $100. try out a $350 helmet. there IS a difference. and you cant find a warmer riding hat.

do I wear my helmet ALL the time?
No.
but I do wear it most of the time.

I have gotten so used to wearing the thing, I feel strange without it on.

I knew about your ABATE positions, so I was curious about your take.

I'd be willing to bet the same crew who ride with no helmet also voted for "Barack Obama",,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, T.W.I.C.E :dunno:

There are ALOT of people on organ donor waiting lists!
Please don't deprive them by enforcing helmet laws.

I'd be willing to bet the same crew who ride with no helmet also voted for "Barack Obama",,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, T.W.I.C.E :dunno:

Not true. I didn't ever vote for Obama. :poke:

I don't always wear a helmet. Depends on what I am riding. Poor excuse I know but I do have that freedom here in Wisconsin though. I have found myself wearing my helmet more now when I ride the Harley so I will admit I am making progress just like I still smoke but I am getting closer to quitiing.

I will never vote for Obama ever ever ever!!

Not true. I didn't ever vote for Obama. :poke:

I don't always wear a helmet. Depends on what I am riding. Poor excuse I know but I do have that freedom here in Wisconsin though. I have found myself wearing my helmet more now when I ride the Harley so I will admit I am making progress just like I still smoke but I am getting closer to quitiing.

I will never vote for Obama ever ever ever!!

E cig :poke:

Helmets are mandatory here in the UK and have been since 1973. Personally, I wouldn't get on a bike without one - though there are many in this country that would argue that it should be a matter of choice.???

I live in Iowa where there is no helmet law, so stupidity is allowed. The only time I don't wear a lid is when the bike is sleeping! its just not worth it!

-D

I just don't understand how anyone could not wear a helmet. Not to judge people for making that choice, but I just don't get it. The human body is surprisingly fragile with respect to the situations we put ourselves in each day.

Short of the grace of God, my helmet was the ONLY reason I walked away from this crash.

zzzzz.jpg

zzzzzzzzz.jpg

zzzzz.jpg

zzzzzzzzz.jpg

I used to think they should be mandated like seatbelts, but I see both sides and have decided over the years that I have friends that are fully capable of making their own decisions, as adults.

I do think there should always be laws in place to protect minors who may not be fully aware of the risks. They should always have a helmet, period. Beyond that, let adults decide for themselves.

For me, I can't imagine riding without a full face helmet, but that's my choice...

via Samsung Galaxy SIII

What I don't understand is how seat belt laws are passed pretty much Nationwide but helmet laws are sporadic throughout? Take PA for instance they have a mandatory seat belt law but no Helmet law 4 motorcycles?? Why enforce 1 for so called safety reasons but not the other??

Because seats belts are to protect other people, not yourself. Say you get in a bad front end accident. The seat belt keeps you in your seat protecting you and the other people in the other car. Without the seatbelt you can go through the windshield and hurt the other people. On a motorcycle you already have a huge chance of flying, so your chance of hurting the other people is already high.

I do wear my helmet 99.9999% of the time. Only ridden once without and it was very weird and uncomfortable. Last year I finally was able to afford a real leather jacket and gauntlet gloves. I wear them 100% of the time, even when its balls hot outside.

I find myself wearing my helmet most of the time but sometimes on those beautiful days with my wife we don't. Stupid yes but like Lurch said my choice. Question. If we should sign a waver to not get ins if we don't wear a helmet then should you also sign a waiver if you have a helmet on and get in an accident in the triple digits or even going over the posted speed limit. And I know we've all been there.:laugh: Just a thought.

I find myself wearing my helmet most of the time but sometimes on those beautiful days with my wife we don't. Stupid yes but like Lurch said my choice. Question. If we should sign a waver to not get ins if we don't wear a helmet then should you also sign a waiver if you have a helmet on and get in an accident in the triple digits or even going over the posted speed limit. And I know we've all been there.:laugh: Just a thought.

I'll take my chances any day with a helmet at triples. I hope you know the difference. I see it and read it all the time. Driver ejected typically means no seatbelt. I guess morals can't be enforced anymore than ignorance can be outlawed. So there you have it. :laugh:

Because seats belts are to protect other people, not yourself. Say you get in a bad front end accident. The seat belt keeps you in your seat protecting you and the other people in the other car. Without the seatbelt you can go through the windshield and hurt the other people. On a motorcycle you already have a huge chance of flying, so your chance of hurting the other people is already high.

I do wear my helmet 99.9999% of the time. Only ridden once without and it was very weird and uncomfortable. Last year I finally was able to afford a real leather jacket and gauntlet gloves. I wear them 100% of the time, even when its balls hot outside.

Speaking of balls, it never ceases to amaze me how many riders wear a helmet, gloves and jacket...and jeans and regular shoes!
I'm guilty of it. I'll cruise in a t-shirt, shorts, and Nike Shox(and always a helmet). But the majority of the time I'm in full leathers.
Your legs, knees, and everything else below the waste usually take a beating in a crash and get road rashed up pretty good. I've seen it too many times.
Even in a very low speed crash, you'de be surprised what the impact to the road will do to a knee, or a shin bone in jeans. Same crash with leathers with some armor in the knees and riding boots makes a dramatic difference.
I'm not judging, I'm not preaching, I'm just saying. Gear is expensive...but priceless when you need it.:beerchug:

I rode with an idiot several times years ago(he had no business sitting on a bike, let alone riding one).
He always wore his helmet, boots, gloves...and jogging pants and slip-on shoes. WTF?

Back