left on the busa... didn't make it home under its own power

once a dead cell in a battery always dead, if that battery has been sitting un attended for a couple months its prob bad....

I know it's been close to 2 years since you've had this issue TommyGunn1300, but we would love to get the resolution posted.:please::please::please: Was it the battery, rectifier, or the stator.

I'm having the same issue right now,

I've put the battery on a tender and get 12.6V
Tested the starter solenoid/relay as directed in service manual and I get continuity and the clicking noise
Pulled the starter and had it bench tested at a local parts store works fine
I've pulled all accessories off the bike such as the power commander and the HID kit.

Any help is appreciated

I know it's been close to 2 years since you've had this issue TommyGunn1300, but we would love to get the resolution posted.:please::please::please: Was it the battery, rectifier, or the stator.

Tested the starter solenoid/relay as directed in service manual and I get continuity and the clicking noise
I've pulled all accessories off the bike such as the power commander and the HID kit.

Any help is appreciated

Have you had the battery load tested?

In a situation like this... car, boat, motorcycle, SeaDoos... I always test or swap the battery. The cheapest, easiest place to start and 99 times out of 100 it is a dead cell. This most frequently occurs when the battery is subjected to a change in temperature or change in load demand. Just happened to my son's Honda when he came home for spring break last week. I had it on a tender for a couple of days before he got back in it would not hold a charge. Yep, I replaced the battery and all was well.

Any help is appreciated

Oh crap, I usually don't get caught :laugh:

Maybe the drain test should be your next step. Have that battery load tested.

I have also read that the stator and rectifier will not charge a dead battery so if you have a dead battery it would cause the stator and rectifier to work too hard and cause damage ...just something i read and i have had a couple of bikes do this to me and the rectifier was melted along with the stator ...the stator looked as if it was put in a fire pit for a couple of hours lol i can laugh now hope this helps

I have also read that the stator and rectifier will not charge a dead battery so if you have a dead battery it would cause the stator and rectifier to work too hard and cause damage ...just something i read and i have had a couple of bikes do this to me and the rectifier was melted along with the stator ...the stator looked as if it was put in a fire pit for a couple of hours lol i can laugh now hope this helps

Dead battery, NO. Damaged or bad battery YES. The stator and rectifier are designed well. No melt downs. Some have had connector meltdown. There was a recall on the Gen II rectifier. I hated having the recall done. I don't think I had an issue, but what the heck. Now I have a new rectifier. If you're running a butt load of accessories like 10,000 LEDs, additional lighting, glove warmers, butt warmers, 100 watt stereo ........ they make a beefed up stator.

Some Gen II owners reported problems with the rectifier before the recall. The recall covered a very large number of Suzuki products, not just the Busa.

My Busa was almost four years old when the recall came out and I'm still running the original battery just like a lot of other guys that bought Gen II's. I've been here since '06 and have never read anything like you described, but I don't not it all either .......

No happened on another bike all together and much older was my 1991 kawasaki Vulcan and 91 ninja

And yes total meltdown lol was wierd

By the description you are giving the Battery is bad, it has an internal short meaning the cells are collapsed. It may read 12.0-12.4 VDC this doesnt mean jack diddly sqaut if the battery has an internal short. The only way to properly test a battery is with a load tester.
1) Load Test Battery
2) Start Bike and check charging voltage.

Back