LED Mirror Turn Signals

How hard is this mod to do yourself?
rock.gif

Not to knock on Razor cause he was a stand up guy with mine.  But here's the deal, to date nobody has been able to remove and replace the glass.  So what he does is cut the mirror along the seam just behind the glass so that you end up with 2 pieces.  He then etches the glass and installs the led's.  After that, he uses black RTV to re-attach the 2 halves.  Now the problem here is there is nothing really attaching your 2 halves but some silicone, and once you make your cut, and hopefully make it very straight, (not), when you put the mirror back together, the alignment is off due to the material that was removed from the cut, not off alot, but it is off.  now due to the fact that some silicone is the only thing attaching your mirror parts, they flex (move) when you grab your mirror and try to adjust them, and in my best guess, will eventually seperate.

The led looked awesome and this procedure would best be done to a set of mirrors that were going to be painted afterwards where one could bondo over the seam and sand and smooth the edges out.

In case you haven't caught on yet, I wasn't very pleased with mine after recieving them, but Razor did step up and replace my money and a new set of mirrors without even questioning my dissatisfaction.  As I said, stand-up guy.

So in the end, he had a set of mirrors he could do nothing with, returned my $$$, plus bought me a new set of mirrors to replace the one's I was unhappy with.  So if you are all wondering why Razor isn't doing this mod anymore........................I'm probaby the reason
sad.gif
..............sorry.

thanks for the explaination.....I like this look and was wondering why it hadn't caught on better...now I know, but hey - another example of .org bro's and sistas taking care of each other. That's why we all keep coming back!
smile.gif

firedevil.gif
Hey guys, just wanted to drop in my $.02!

Scott (aka mzrsq) is right in regards to the RTV on his mirrors not holding up. It was a very hot day in the Carolinas when I sent his mirrors out; I have a feeling that the heat took a toll on them. I can just imagine them in the back of a Hot UPS truck just melting away. I've never had any issues with the original set that I had installed on my Busa but realize that you guys may be a little more rugged on your mirrors. I basically set them in place and never touch them again. I have since resolved the problem with Black Max (Loctite 380). It is basically a Black Super Glue made by Loctite. Believe me, they won't come apart with this stuff! So all bonding issues have been resolved.

In regards to me cutting the mirror housing open; there is no other way. The mirrors are molded together. There are no fasteners. Another way to go might be to break the glass, cut a new piece and seal it back into place. I've thought of this but have never tried it.

I am currently no longer doing the mod. There are two major reasons. I recently moved in with my fiancee and have to commute 100 miles to work each way each day. So I don't have too much extra time to spare.

Last year after Scott sent his mirrors back to me; I supplied him with a brand new pair, repaired the ones that he complained about and sold them on EBay. Orders were slow from Hayabusa.Org so I decided to just make mirrors and sell them on EBay. It was an awesome plan until I was contacted by the lawyers at Muth. BUSTED! Muth Mirrors have the patent on the turn signal mirror technology that you commonly see on GM and Ford SUVs. They claimed that I was in violation of their patent and to stop selling turn signal mirrors on the internet.

So this is where we stand. I currently don't have the time to mod mirrors and even if I did; I'd have to fight the man to even make it worth my while. I'd be willing to help out anyone wanting to do the mod but can't continue doing business for myself.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience and good luck with your endeavors!

RazoRR Out!
firedevil.gif

firedevil.gif

RazoRR,
Sorry to hear that...damn the man! I would like to do this, but I have no idea how. Any chance you could send out some detailed instructions for a busa brotha from anotha motha?

Hey RRRB,hope I didn't step on any toes with my post. Glad to here you were able to sell my mirrors off and not get stuck with them. Also sorry to here you've been put out of business. I can and will state that this mod looks killer if you can make it work, I'm just one of the unlucky few in this world that can never get it right.
tounge.gif

Sorry to hear Razor. Definitely understand why you are no longer doing the mod anymore. I know that BigBSBusa had sent me some info on another guy doing this similar mod, but have been so busy I haven't contacted him yet. I'll try to contact him and see what he can do for us and maybe a bunch of us can get them done.

How do you go about etching the glass? Does it require special equipment or what? Can anyone offer any suggestions on this part of the MOD? Thanks.

Dudewizr, I just use a template and scribe; the back of the mirrors merely have silver paint on them; comes off easy.

I have recieved such a positive response lately in regards to this mod; even more interest than when I originally posted; that I've decided to start outfitting mirrors again. If you are interested in me doing this mod for you, please email me at wstasikrr@aol.com

RazoRRBlade

this thread was removed recently due to a 'claim' that it infringes on a patent.

The patent lawyer that requested the removal has failed to say exactly 'what' portion is involved, so me and my 'consultant' decided it should be made public again.

Any further 'claims' need to include specific disclosure of infringement, name address and phone# of the contact,....

thank you vury much..... I can be reached at cache@hayabusa.org and will be here all week........................................

Finally got around to doing it on one of my other bikes.

:laugh:
file.php?id=2905&t=1.jpg

file.php?id=2902&mode=view.jpg

file.php?id=2901&mode=view.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back