Le sigh....Battery not charging....search failing me

ajblbv

Donating Member
Registered
Well I had a week of enjoying the bike problem free....:banghead:

Anywho, some background....when I first bought bike I bought a new battery for it just for peace of mind, about a month later it started leaking....no problem replaced under warranty. For about a week in between I ran a yuasa battery from an SV650 and had 0 problems with it, though occasionally sounded like a long crank. After the week I put in the replacement and after one day of use it failed....had a minor leak. Both of these batteries were Motocross, the Battery warehouse then replaced it with a Deka battery. After all these issues I wanted to checking my charging......with the bike not running the battery put off 12.4 v......at 3.5k rpm it puts out 12.3v.....so the bike isn't charging the battery right?

So where do I go from here? I know the stator charges the battery, but when I search for stator all I really get back is stator cover links, not actually replacements.....and the search engine brings up way too many non related threads. So that's where I am, any direction would be great. Thanks guys.

:bowdown:

I have heard the bikes charging system doesnt kick on until around 4500 rpm...someone hwo knows will chime in.

I have heard the bikes charging system doesnt kick on until around 4500 rpm...someone hwo knows will chime in.

I held it at 5k for just a second and it read about the same.....but only did this for a second if that makes a difference.

2000 RPM is when the stator kicks in. As for stator service, there are free hayabusa service manuals online that you can download. I'd give you a link but I'm on my blackberry right now. You're right about the charging though, if your meter reads 12.3VDC while the engine is at 3500RPM you're not charging. Sounds like you just had a coincidental failure time with the battery replacement. I'd look for the service manual and figure out how to test the stator and go from there.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hey, I do actually have the FSM so I am working on things with that now.....as for quick update, at idle (1200 rpm ish) it puts out about 13.1v.....but when cranked to 5k and held, it puts out 12.4-12.5v. So I am thinking stator, or possibly rectifier.....will work on testing those, does anyone have any insight with these new numbers? The fact that it goes lower under load means what exactly? Thanks.

Hey, I do actually have the FSM so I am working on things with that now.....as for quick update, at idle (1200 rpm ish) it puts out about 13.1v.....but when cranked to 5k and held, it puts out 12.4-12.5v. So I am thinking stator, or possibly rectifier.....will work on testing those, does anyone have any insight with these new numbers? The fact that it goes lower under load means what exactly? Thanks.

Probably stator problem. I know it's not exactly the same thing, but I had an alternator go out one time and it would do the same thing. It would charge below idle, but above 1800rpm it wouldn't charge anymore. It was really weird and I had never seen it before, but that's what was going on. As for WHY it does it. . . Your guess is as good as mine.

Back