Battery is toast after 2 years

jellyrug

Donating Member
Registered
I have a new battery and charger on the way, directly from Yuasa, as my old battery is toast.

I learnt a few things along the way and thought I would share.

1.) My bike was standing a lot for long periods, with a 3.8mA draw from an alarm, running down the battery over about 3 months. Having a battery sitting uncharged is not a good thing, as it reduces life substantially.

2.) Car or open cell batteries are different to sealed batteries, such as the OEM Busa battery. Open terminal voltage on a car battery, 2 hours after full charge gives 12.6V, for 100% charge. A sealed battery gives 12.9V for the same test. If you get a 12.6V reading on a sealed battery, it is less than 75% charged.

3.) Automatic battery charges which are not designed specifically for sealed batteries, have the microprocessor maintain at 12.6V after charge and will supplement when voltage drops below 12.5V. Not ideal for the Busa.

4.) If your voltage gets below 12.5V a few days after full charge, time for a new battery.

5.) For the Busa battery, charging much above 1.5 Amps is not a good thing.:poke:

5.) All those maintaining with a battery tender, that is a good thing. :thumbsup:

Here is a cool linky from Yuasa, Page 31 will tell you everything you need to know about your bike's battery.

http://www.yuasabatteries.com/literature.php

Thanks for the tips $$$

I ride almost every weekend.

After putting her in the garage and covering my baby with a sheet to keep any debris off and the kids from climbing on her, I have mine on a battery tender, but I am going to check if its the kind you wrote about.

:thumbsup:

Interesting about sealed batteries (and I assume you imply gel batteries). I recently got one on ebay - IIRC it was AGM sealed battery, and the voltage is noticeably higher than my old one - as you described.

I like to keep things simple and like to know what's going on. So, a long time ago I installed a V-meter on the bike, and always know the voltage - when the bike is ON or OFF. If the battery needs to be charged, I either use a simple AC adaptor style charger (from Harbor Freight) for a few hours or overnight, or during longer non-riding periods like winter time, I connect the battery to a simple maintenance charger - AC adaptor style (also from Harbor Freight) - this gives no more than 13.2V and the battery can be kept on for days and weeks.

Guys, go to Shoraipower.com. Don't use these dinosaur batteries anymore. Lithium-iron batteries will be the only battery you will need for the next 7 years. Not cheap at 180 bucks...they weigh less than a third of your regular busa battery oem...Go to Batterystuff.com..

Back