What to do before starting after 2 years?

IScream

Registered
After I smacked my bike into the back of a mini van in August of 05 I lost interest in it for a while. After pulling off the upper fairing I haven't touched it. And I mean haven't touched it to the point where the battery is completely dead and the tires may be flat spotted.

I've found some used parts over the last few days and I'm finally going to put it back on the road. What all should I look at doing to it before trying to start it for the first time?

I'll definitely change the oil and drain the 2 year old gas out of the tank. I guess I should probably drain the coolant as well.

Should I bother trying to charge the battery, which means buying a charger, or just buy a new one?

Are my injectors going to be gummed up from the old gas or should they be OK?

What else do I need to do to be ready when my parts get here?

New battery for sure! Fuel system may be pretty clogged up... i'd flush the system somehow... better check your tank for rust before you just try to drain and fill it up again. Could cause you more trouble if you just drain it and refill it. Replace the tires too if they have been sitting on the same spot for 2 years.

(Sloto200 @ May 17 2007,20:14) New battery for sure!  Fuel system may be pretty clogged up... i'd flush the system somehow... better check your tank for rust before you just try to drain and fill it up again.  Could cause you  more trouble if you just drain it and refill it.  Replace the tires too if they have been sitting on the same spot for 2 years.
Yes what he said. I would also replace spark plugs, Check your chain, and you might even want to replace your brake pads. Also check all you bolt and screws for porper torque and you might want to throw some lubrication on all the pivot points of the bike as well. Oh yeah 1 more thing might want to invest in a shop manual

Thanks Guys. I got the oil, filter and plugs changed. The air filter looked fine so I put it back in. Drained every drop of the old gas out and put some fresh in there along with a little injector cleaner.

Popped in a new battery and she fired up like it was only two weeks since the last run rather than almost two years.

Still need to change the coolant, clean the chain and get the rest of my parts...

-Chris

super.gif

drop some marvel mystery oil in the cylinders before you crank her over , it wont hurt to give her some lube before you crank
beerchug.gif

(johnstein @ May 20 2007,15:27) drop some marvel mystery oil in the cylinders before you crank her over , it wont hurt to give her some lube  before you crank  
beerchug.gif
I couldn't really figure out a way to get any oil in there in a way where I thought it would do more than sit on top of the piston or coat one little spot on a side. I did spin it over a bit before putting gas in with the hope that it would pump some oil around the engine before it actually started for the first time.

Too late for anything else now...

-Chris

Back