Launching: Left hand, help

FALQN

Registered
It was 35 degrees and sunny so I went for a little ride.:laugh: I'm looking for help from the group on my left hand, while attempting a full power launch. When I have my ring finger, pinky and thumb on the grip and my index and middle finger on the clutch lever...there is a definite imbalance while holding on. This makes me very uneasy and could be dangerous.

When I add my middle finger to the grip and actuate the clutch with my index finger, things are great. I have plenty of holding power and my index finger is definitely strong enough to work the clutch. The issue here though is that my other fingers get in the way of fully disengaging the clutch for the next shift up.

How are you functioning with your clutch hand? Will a shorty lever help? Should I be looking at tank grippers to help or do I simply need to find a way to increase my gripping power in my two weakest fingers?

Any and all help welcome, this is starting to get on my nerves:banghead:

I grip the bar with my index finger an thumb and use the other 3 to let the lever out then when moving swap back... give it a go.

I use 2 fingers brake and clutch with shorty levers, but that's just me. Others hate short levers.
Levers are a personal preference.
Try moving the brake and clutch master cylinders side to side, and rotating them up or down on the bars.
Find the position that fits your hand best, and in the riding position you are in most of the time.
Short levers are better for 2 fingers too, as they don't crush your fingers on the bars.
For 2 fingers I also set the lever positions on 6.
Let the brake and clutch engage as far from the bar as possible, which also helps to not crush the fingers on the bars.
If you are uncomfortable riding with 2 fingers then you have two choices; Make adjustments and practice.
Or, don't do it. Anything that makes you uncomfortable isn't helping your riding any, as it's taking your focus away from where it should be.

Back