Rev matching/blipping/downshifting

Windtherapy

Registered
How many fingers do you use on the clutch? I’ve noticed the way my clutch lever is adjusted, if I use two fingers to rev match/blip throttle when downshifting...By the time I come to a stop I have to readjust and grab the clutch with four fingers to put it in 1th gear.
And on the same topic, what number do you have your clutch lever set at?

Last edited:
I would try bringing the lever in closer, and perhaps angle it down a bit. There is nothing wrong with using 4 fingers on your clutch tho.
the feel of hydraulic clutch is different if you are used to a wire one too. It’s just time in the saddle to learn engagement point and develop a feel for it

Yep, I do it. No idea how many I use when downshifting, never paid any attention. But at a stop, I use 3, the pinky comes along for moral support but does none of the work.

Yep, I do it. No idea how many I use when downshifting, never paid any attention. But at a stop, I use 3, the pinky comes along for moral support but does none of the work.
Same. I use all 3-4, but that's because of baby hands + clutch pull. My clutch doesn't give out until almost 3/4 of the pull length, and I already have mine adjusted to be just past the middle knuckle.

I attended a daylong dirt bike session last summer (V-Strom) where the instructor insisted I keep hold of the bars, both levers, else pay the consequences (loss of control). It took a while, but the habit finally stuck and now I always have an index finger wrapped around the Busa bars and always have a tender spot on the clutch-side index finger from banging the lever onto it. I'm a convert - can't imagine riding the old way.

I attended a daylong dirt bike session last summer (V-Strom) where the instructor insisted I keep hold of the bars, both levers, else pay the consequences (loss of control). It took a while, but the habit finally stuck and now I always have an index finger wrapped around the Busa bars and always have a tender spot on the clutch-side index finger from banging the lever onto it. I'm a convert - can't imagine riding the old way.

Did you use to ride without any fingers on the levers (cruising)?
I keep two on the brake and four on the clutch since I can’t put it in 1th with only two fingers. I was taught to keep all fingers on the levers at all times but realized it’s not doable for smooth throttle inputs on high powered bikes.

As a former racer and motorcycle instructor, I keep both hands on the bars and move my fingers when it's necessary for shifting/braking...even when I rode in the dirt I did the same...

It's easy for the bars to be pulled out of your grasp especially in the dirt if your tire gets in a groove.

I did know other racers who kept two fingers on their levers and honestly they weren't any faster than I was in braking or acceleration.

Now I have a quick shifter so I don't use the clutch unless stopped.

I've pretty much disengaged the clutch as much as the lever/pedal goes on every vehicle I've ever operated eery time I've used the clutch for anything. Only recently have I tried pulling the clutch lever in just a bit for upshifting. I'm sure if I got the feel of that it would be close to using a quickshifter but I've heard a lot of people don't use the clutch at all for upshifting fast, they just cut the throttle partially. I wouldn't try downshifting without pulling the clutch lever in. It's not necessary to downshift super fast anyway so why take a chance?

I have Pazzos and I adjust them as close to the grip as possible. The throw is shorter adjusted as they are but I always pull the clutch lever in all the way to the grip. I usually use 4 fingers. When I've been in practice enough over the riding season, I've used only three fingers on the levers. If you ask me, that has less to do with shifting and braking speed and more to do with holding the grip and operating the throttle while being ready on the levers at the same time. It's more of a racing technique. I guess it could come in handy on the street as long as it doesn't cause a crash learning it.

Yes and still do, (both bikes) depending on traffic, which is where my rant begins because if it weren't for the cars there wouldn't be much reason to preload the levers. I preload the brake when necessary - like lane splitting - but only then. Riding in traffic is an altogether different animal.
It's easy for the bars to be pulled out of your grasp especially in the dirt if your tire gets in a groove.

+1 This was the point my dirt instructor made and it stuck with me

I keep two on the brake and four on the clutch since I can’t put it in 1th with only two fingers. I was taught to keep all fingers on the levers at all times but realized it’s not doable for smooth throttle inputs on high powered bikes.

1th? :laugh: Your teacher was wrong. Like Hayawakened I always grip the bars except for the occasional lane splitting. On long straight stretches I’ll ‘exercise‘ my hands and fingers but always covering the levers just isn’t safe.

Y

+1 This was the point my dirt instructor made and it stuck with me
Even on the street when there are pot holes, painted stop lines and the like.....I hold onto the bars-not too tightly though.

When I was teaching it was a chore to have people release their death grip n the bars...it really led to fatigue after a while..

1th? :laugh: Your teacher was wrong. Like Hayawakened I always grip the bars except for the occasional lane splitting. On long straight stretches I’ll ‘exercise‘ my hands and fingers but always covering the levers just isn’t safe.
1th as in 1th gear
I don’t mean covering levers on empty roads. I’m talking about heavy traffic, intersections or anywhere when a car might pull out infront of you. Regripping the brake and clutch levers makes you lose significant distance in reaction/brake. Two fingers on each and you still have three fingers controlling the bar?

1th as in 1th gear
I don’t mean covering levers on empty roads. I’m talking about heavy traffic, intersections or anywhere when a car might pull out infront of you. Regripping the brake and clutch levers makes you lose significant distance in reaction/brake. Two fingers on each and you still have three fingers controlling the bar?

Maybe it’s the language but it’s actually 1st, (st) pronounced ‘first’. th is for 4th, 5th etc. :) As for covering both levers, the clutch has nothing to do with slowing or stopping except for the last few feet of travel. Maintaining a good grip with as much of your hand and fingers is simply safer especially In a panic type braking maneuver. I hate to say panic as no one should but I think my meaning is clear. Hard stops and turns require great control. Those who don’t have that control are shown in several crash videos on YouTube. Covering the brake lever thru busy intersections and heavy traffic may be safer for a stopping maneuver but would be doubtful in a sudden swerving maneuver.

Maybe it’s the language but it’s actually 1st, (st) pronounced ‘first’. th is for 4th, 5th etc. :) As for covering both levers, the clutch has nothing to do with slowing or stopping except for the last few feet of travel. Maintaining a good grip with as much of your hand and fingers is simply safer especially In a panic type braking maneuver. I hate to say panic as no one should but I think my meaning is clear. Hard stops and turns require great control. Those who don’t have that control are shown in several crash videos on YouTube. Covering the brake lever thru busy intersections and heavy traffic may be safer for a stopping maneuver but would be doubtful in a sudden swerving maneuver.
Haha thanks! English is my third language friend..

I agree completely on the braking/swerving compromise. If I understand your riding style, you shift over from grabbing only the bars to clutch/brake when decelerating. What number do you have your levers set at?

Haha thanks! English is my third language friend..

I agree completely on the braking/swerving compromise. If I understand your riding style, you shift over from grabbing only the bars to clutch/brake when decelerating. What number do you have your levers set at?

Just razzin you. I wish I had three languages, English and a bit of Spanish is it for me. Two of my brothers could pick up languages with aplomb but not me. My clutch is set at number 2 and the brake is at number 1. My brake engages within an inch and that’s with OEM Gen 1 calipers using EBC HH pads. My clutch engages about the same. Unless I’m stopping or downshifting I hardly touch the clutch lever.

BTW, how are the roads over there? Many tree lined country two lanes? Can you ride northeast into Finland and farther? How do you get to Denmark and Germany, by ferry?

Just razzin you. I wish I had three languages, English and a bit of Spanish is it for me. Two of my brothers could pick up languages with aplomb but not me. My clutch is set at number 2 and the brake is at number 1. My brake engages within an inch and that’s with OEM Gen 1 calipers using EBC HH pads. My clutch engages about the same. Unless I’m stopping or downshifting I hardly touch the clutch lever.

BTW, how are the roads over there? Many tree lined country two lanes? Can you ride northeast into Finland and farther? How do you get to Denmark and Germany, by ferry?

Roads are great for riding! There is always an alternate route on two lane country roads if you wanna get off the highway. Beautiful nature. If it wasn’t for the pandemic, I’d say taking the ferry is the best option to Finland. Denmark you can ride or take the ferry and continue south to Germany. Let me know if you’re heading over!

This thread can easily become a philosophical discussion on how to ride. Before, when I wasn't a bum, I used to commute on the Busa here in Southern California. It's a mental thing: I became super sensitive (situationally aware) to the dynamics on the road, was always thinking, that car doesn't see me, and therefore was already prepared to grab a handful, make a swoop, always looking for that safety margin. Pretty sure all bikers (eventually) ride this way and, in my experience, the more you do it, the better you get at it. I'd be curious to hear from those here who are/were instructors if they agree that bike riders make better drivers due to their increase in situational awareness, generally.

I've always used two fingers (that's what she said) but to be fair, I have no formal training and I am usually hard on clutches in both bikes and cars.

This thread can easily become a philosophical discussion on how to ride. Before, when I wasn't a bum, I used to commute on the Busa here in Southern California. It's a mental thing: I became super sensitive (situationally aware) to the dynamics on the road, was always thinking, that car doesn't see me, and therefore was already prepared to grab a handful, make a swoop, always looking for that safety margin. Pretty sure all bikers (eventually) ride this way and, in my experience, the more you do it, the better you get at it. I'd be curious to hear from those here who are/were instructors if they agree that bike riders make better drivers due to their increase in situational awareness, generally.
In my experience I have found motorcycle riders to generally carry over a sort of vigilant driving style when we operate cars/trucks where we are more aware of other vehicles especially motorcycles and can better predict situations before they arise. I've taught my students to ride in a "bubble" and to expect that each and every car driver doesn't see them (mostly that's the case anyway).

In defense of this, there are far less distractions on a motorcycle so the rider can concentrate more on operating the bike and not changing channels on the radio or adjusting the heat/air conditioning or listen to passengers...

Back